Factory sunroof handle on an 05

scooterho

I have a manual factory sunroof, just bought the handle for it so that I can open it, but don't know how to attach the handle to the sunroof assembly. Does anyone have any photos, illustrations or explanations as to how this thing should work? Thanks in advance.

scooterho

Anybody? Sorry to sound so desperate, but I am desperate! One of the local dealerships had no idea how the handle/knob installs. Their online manuals had nothing. I don't know if the handle/knob is actually shown in the service manual, but if anyone has a manual and can check, I would be grateful.

scooterho

Sorry Scooter,

I wish I had a sunroof on my SHC...I suggest "whining" (with a box of doughnuts) at a local body shop....

best,

Jimmy
Thanks for the advice. I will try another dodge dealership on Monday. If they can't help me, and I can't figure it out on my own, then I guess the sunroof will remain stationary and I will return the part. Oh well. I'll give one last try.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
sorry scooterho this seems to be one of those posts that nobody knows anything about:idunno:.

ps can you take some photos of your sunroof so we can see what you are talking about,that would help a lot.

guisar

I have a factory sunroof. WOuld it help if I sent pictures of it installed? There are screws going through the plate glass of the roof to hold it on and what appear to be press-fit pins holding the metal base of the "screw handle" to the roof. I'm not sure what piece exactly it is that you are replacing- is it just the round bit or the whole tilting assembly?

scooterho

I have a factory sunroof. WOuld it help if I sent pictures of it installed? There are screws going through the plate glass of the roof to hold it on and what appear to be press-fit pins holding the metal base of the "screw handle" to the roof. I'm not sure what piece exactly it is that you are replacing- is it just the round bit or the whole tilting assembly?
It would help tremendously if you could show pictures of the screw handle installed! I bought the van used. It came with a "fixed" factory sunroof. The sunroof has hinges, however, so it should open. In fact, we took the sunroof completely apart and it does, in fact, hinge. So, I ordered the factory screw handle for it but no one, locally, seems to know how it attaches. While you are posting pictures, I will go outside and take some photos as well.

scooterho

Here's some photos of the sunroof and screw handle. You can see that part of the screw handle has a red spring clip but I don't really know what it attaches to or how to activate it.

The next two images show the black pieces that fit into the screw handle. The two black pieces have holes for screws which suggests that they should screw into the sunroof assembly. The problem is that the black piece screw holes don't line up with the existing plate holding the sunroof shut. I know this sounds confusing. I just don't know how to explain it any better.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
:thinking::wtf:

ok i cant figure it out either without having it in my hands, why dont you google the sunroof make and model and maybe that way some site might have pictures that you can see how it goes together.

max.....

Last edited:

scooterho

:thinking::wtf:

ok i cant figure it out either without having it in my hands, why dont you google the sunroof make and model and maybe that way some site might have pictures that you can see how it goes together.

max.....
It is a factory sunroof and so is the knob handle. I have googled my brains out and the only thing I've found that might help is another post from this forum. The post below suggests that I might need a custom fabricated bracket. The post below was from 2007. I PM'd Therberg, but haven't heard back from him. in the meantime, I'm hoping that Guisar might be able to post some photos in this thread.

Originally Posted by Therberg
The parts you need are # 5134012AA /plate @ $48.00 and #5134008AA/handle @$81.00. There is a part that you will need to fabricate , a little bracket that attaches to the Sunroof frame and allows the handle assy to snap on to.

If I can find the time this weekend I will try to get a few pics of the bracket that needs to be made and how it attaches to the frame. The bracket is fairly easy to make, I made it out of ¼" thick Aluminum 1 3/16" x 2 1/8". It needs a slot machined in it 1 1/8" long and ¼" wide and ¼" in from the edge. That will leave a ¼" x ¼" square at the edge of the slot that needs to be filed or machined round, ( a good chance to bush up on your Dremel tool skills).

Therberg

It is a factory sunroof and so is the knob handle. I have googled my brains out and the only thing I've found that might help is another post from this forum. The post below suggests that I might need a custom fabricated bracket. The post below was from 2007. I PM'd Therberg, but haven't heard back from him. in the meantime, I'm hoping that Guisar might be able to post some photos in this thread.

Originally Posted by Therberg
The parts you need are # 5134012AA /plate @ $48.00 and #5134008AA/handle @$81.00. There is a part that you will need to fabricate , a little bracket that attaches to the Sunroof frame and allows the handle assy to snap on to.

If I can find the time this weekend I will try to get a few pics of the bracket that needs to be made and how it attaches to the frame. The bracket is fairly easy to make, I made it out of ¼" thick Aluminum 1 3/16" x 2 1/8". It needs a slot machined in it 1 1/8" long and ¼" wide and ¼" in from the edge. That will leave a ¼" x ¼" square at the edge of the slot that needs to be filed or machined round, ( a good chance to bush up on your Dremel tool skills).

Hi ,
I just checked in and read the PM and this post, I thought that I posted pics of the bracket but it appears that I didn't.

You will need the plate # 5134012AA , the plate gets fastened to the glass with the existing screws , and the handle that you have , then gets attached to the plate.

I will try to get some pics up , maybe latter today

scooterho

Hi ,
I just checked in and read the PM and this post, I thought that I posted pics of the bracket but it appears that I didn't.

You will need the plate # 5134012AA , the plate gets fastened to the glass with the existing screws , and the handle that you have , then gets attached to the plate.

I will try to get some pics up , maybe latter today
Beautiful! I will order the other plate this morning. I think that, up here in Canada, we use different part numbers. So, just to be clear is this the plate that I need (#5):

Many thanks to Maxextz, Aircraft Wrench, and Guisar for helpful ideas. Looks like we just may get this dilemma resolved after all!

scooterho

Therberg:

Your photos are extremely helpful! Thank you so much. I will order plate #5 and find someone to fabricate the other plate. Whoever invented forums like this needs to win a huge award.

scooterho

I finally managed to get the sunroof operational -- special, huge, big, gigantic thanks to Therberg and others who helped with this issue. I am getting my powder coated rims installed on Friday, installing a Mercedes conversion kit, and finishing up with cleaning, touch-up painting and waxing the exterior. Once I get her all spiffy, I will post photos of everything in the Photo thread. Thanks again.

scooterho

4Critter, if you're out there, I tried to reply to your PM but you have your options set such that you do not want to receive PMs. At any rate, here is what I wrote in response to you question:

Yes, I did get the problem fixed. I ordered the knob from a dodge dealership and had a bracket special made according to the specifications provided by another sprinter forum member. Only after the fact did I find out that the bracket is available as an OEM part! At any rate, in the picture below, you will need parts 3, 5, and 9 if I remember correctly. I don't know the part numbers but any dealership should be able to find them if you show them the picture.
Good luck!

Sunroof.gif

Last edited:

scooterho

I was just informed by another member that part #3 in the diagram above is NOT the additional plate needed. I apologize to anyone who may have ordered part #3. At this point, I do not know which would be the correct second plate to order. I guess others will just have to machine a custom plate. Again, my apologies for those who purchased part #3.

MattGeans

Scooterho to say that someone needs to get an award for this is right....I just went and bought 2 crank handles and have been scratching my head wondering if I trashed ~$350 or not.
I received one from Mopar and one from mercedes (as ordered from Dodge dealer) one already had the #5 plate on it and the other didn't. fun part is the other plate that i would have been a VERY frustrating search for, but now that i've seen this forum, I'll be able to get it taken care of properly. maybe I'll try to get them to order the other one again so it comes with the plate on it because the price I paid was for about the same as the #9 and #5 put together.

mechanically, though, I will probably make my bracket to stick past the window opening as much as it sticks INTO the window opening. this way where the screws are holding it will only be exposed to tension forces not tension and twisting as the small bracket has to hold the weight of the window from the end of the plate. We intend to run with the sunroofs open so they may get to bouncing a bit too.
Hope that makes sense.

Top Bottom