Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
LUNITY
2016 LunityTB

Default Suspension question for Scarecrow & others

Scarecrow, or anyone else,
could you talk a little about your ongoing suspension modifications? I just added another 5000 miles to my TB with only a couple of hundred miles on interstate, the rest on two lane state highways and county roads in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, North Dakota, Manitoba) Some of the steepest (10% grade) and winding roads I've driven in any vehicle.
Dead Indian Pass on WY Hwy 14Alt is an example.

Prior to delivery my dealer installed Timbren bump stops (similar to Sumo Springs) and I've never felt like I needed anything else. Semis don't affect me to any degree. 90 degree gusts of wind have moved the entire van to the side but don't rock it side to side. The worst sway is on a tight curve when the camber of the road wasn't done correctly and all of a sudden it dips towards the outer edge of the curve, tilting the van in the wrong direction.

I've got over 50k miles driving a Class A (high end Beaver, now Monaco) and now 25k on Unity and much prefer Unity handling. The reason I ask is during this last trip we were talking about trading for a MB like yours and I wondered if the handling is that much different or if something else is going on.
LUNITY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LUNITY For This Useful Post:
imstilllarry (06-28-2017), Old Crows (06-28-2017), Unity-TB-Newbies (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Unity-TB-Newbies
2018 Unity-TB

Default Re: Suspension question for Scarecrow & others

Lunity,

Does the Timbren stiffen or change the comfort of how the Unity rides after it's installation?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
LUNITY
2016 LunityTB

Not stiff at all just reduced sway. Even going over the dreaded slow speed curb cut at an angle. No miracles just somewhat of an improvement.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Unity-TB-Newbies
2018 Unity-TB

Lunity;

Do you add them to the front and the back and how much for cost plus installation?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Eastbayview
2012 Unity MB

Just to add my 2cents, I installed Timbrens to the rear suspension of our MB and tried them out on a trip. They did raise the ride height slightly (which I wanted) but they made the ride much more harsh. So harsh in fact I took them out and put the factory bump stops back in. Felt like over time the pounding would not be good for the vehicle.
I'm still trying to find something that can raise my ride height a few inches but not affect the ride quality.
YMMV as usual
Unity-TB-Newbies (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
Old Crows
Calypso 2014 View Profile

Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,250 Posts

Don't have a Unity but I'd expect not a dime's worth of difference between an MB, TB or my View (or any other Sprinter based Class B).

Timbrins or Sumo Solos would be in order. Knocks off a lot of the rolling along the long axis without making a harsh ride.
Putting the tire pressures no higher than the placard also helps to maintain sidewall flexibility necessary for a smoother ride.

Yeh, they don't corner like anything else due to the high and rearward CG. Bolting into a corner and scaring the hell out of passenger and yourself is not fun. I always try to brake in a straight line before the corner and get off the binders as I enter. Slowest speed on entry. Smooth, gentle turn to apex getting the suspension loaded up and then gently ease on the power & a graceful exit. Never brake in the corner! Unless you have really screwed up or not recognized the sharpness/camber and have over cooked it. Braking in the corner upsets the balance. Really uncomfortable.

Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
LUNITY
2016 LunityTB

I didn't experience anything approaching 2whlrider's experience. Absolutely no change in ride height and no harshness whatsoever from the Timbrens, installed in the rear only. Can't remember what I paid.

I drove several other Branded class B, B+, C Sprinter based motorhomes and cannot disagree more with OldCrow about his dime's worth of difference in the ride quality of the different brands, especially those like the Winnebagos with two slides and a bolbous prow over the cab - to me those felt like top heavy unbalanced swaying barges compared to the relatively stripped-down, sprightly feel of my TB.

Obviously each individual experiences differences in driving these rigs, thus back to the original question about the what and why of suspension modifications. If I had to guess, I'd say the closer the rig's unloaded weight is to the maximum allowable weight the more suspension becomes a real factor in how each individual perceives ride quality and the need for modifications.
That's why I'm interested in knowing what people are experiencing before I decide to switch to a MB, which has a slide, thus more weight and reduced ccc.
The Following User Says Thank You to LUNITY For This Useful Post:
Old Crows (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
charlievette

I added Sumo-springs and Koni shocks to the rear. Roll reduced significantly. Started with 70PSI. Reduced to 63 PSI front and 65PSI rear. Softer ride. Driving in Northeastern Utah and experiencing 6-7% grades and tight decreasing radius turns the MB-24 handles safely and predictably. Very satisfied.

Last edited by charlievette; 06-28-2017 at 11:21 PM.
charlievette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:36 AM   #9
imstilllarry

At the LTV Rally last April in Las Vegas we attended a seminar by Mercedes. It was given by 3 badged Mercedes employees. The sales rep who sells the cutaway chassis to LTV and two engineers. They covered all the usual stuff about maintenance and answered questions. The engineers agreed that these units have a light duty sway bar. In fact it is the same sway bar that comes with the 2500 that doesnít even have dual tires. The question was asked about adding a heavier sway bar and if it affects the warranty. From the Mercedes experts the answer was yes it not necessary however it is a great upgrade for driving stability and no it does not affect your warranty. They said they are aware that many are installing the Heilwig upgrade. They of course didnít recommend a specific brand or supplier. But they do understand that adding 10,000 pounds and extending it way over both sides of the duals creates more sway.

BTW Scarecrow attended this meeting and heard the same thing. We talked about this as we left the seminar. Here is the picture of the employees during this meeting. Tried to get the contact info and as you might expect they donít give it out. All Iíve added to mine is the Heilwig and it was a cheap and easy upgrade. It made a very noticeable difference. I used to drive 65 max and now if the not in high winds or on a bumpy road Iím very comfortable driving 75.

2014 Unity MB 2013 Sprinter
Old 06-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #10
larock55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNITY View Post
Scarecrow, or anyone else,
could you talk a little about your ongoing suspension modifications? I just added another 5000 miles to my TB with only a couple of hundred miles on interstate, the rest on two lane state highways and county roads in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, North Dakota, Manitoba) Some of the steepest (10% grade) and winding roads I've driven in any vehicle.
Dead Indian Pass on WY Hwy 14Alt is an example.

Prior to delivery my dealer installed Timbren bump stops (similar to Sumo Springs) and I've never felt like I needed anything else. Semis don't affect me to any degree. 90 degree gusts of wind have moved the entire van to the side but don't rock it side to side. The worst sway is on a tight curve when the camber of the road wasn't done correctly and all of a sudden it dips towards the outer edge of the curve, tilting the van in the wrong direction.

I've got over 50k miles driving a Class A (high end Beaver, now Monaco) and now 25k on Unity and much prefer Unity handling. The reason I ask is during this last trip we were talking about trading for a MB like yours and I wondered if the handling is that much different or if something else is going on.
I installed sumo springs from Superspring, Best modification for the price,handling is great now
larock55 is offline   Reply With Quote