common wiring problem areas

JGS

Is there a thread with the common wiring issues? How do you inspect the wires under the black harness on top of the engine under the fuel lines?

I have a 2005 2500 t1n. That starts and dies. The only code I get is p0100, I've changed the the MAF cleaned the EGR .

Thanks

2004VannaWhite

Big White Box
The most common areas of failure are the main trunk at the intake manifold (bends over the manifold) and then the same main trunk farther down at the manifold brace/engine mount.

Inspection is carried out by cutting back the sheathing and going a wire at a time. There may or may not be outward signs of chafing. I have seen plenty of them with internal failures, one in particular where the insulation on nearly every wire had turned to dust!

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
Had this issue of stalling, multiple trouble codes. My failure was right at cylinder 1 in the wiring under the plastic injector cover.

I did do a temp fix by bracing the harness off the metal of the valve cover but ultimately replaced the entire harness, it's cheaper than a tow when I'm far from home. No more trouble codes

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
1. Where it bends over intake manifold, there should be a rubber grommet to protect it. Secure this in place.

2. The injector harness' bare wires lay directly against bare metal on the top of the engine near the injectors afaik. Should be preemptively protected.

3. Behind the fuel filter, the filter mount has a sharp flat piece sticking out towards the driver, which cuts the harness. Zip tie rubber over it.

4. Wires near the heat shield can get cut or burnt, should be secured in place with the little push in wire holders and zip ties.

5. Behind each headlight is a ground attached to the metal body, it gets oily and dirty here, both sides of the the ring connector and bare metal under the ring connector should be sanded till shiny.

6. Battery to chassis ground, the big bolt on the firewall, no clean = no start

7. 13 pin connector on transmission, the o ring can leak, oil wicks up the wires into the TCM

8. Engine to chassis ground frays/corrodes with time

9. Brake light bulbs - The contacts that touch the bulbs were very dirty, arced and corroded, causing my bulbs to burn out, causing an error code.

10. Very important ground under drivers seat. Gets dusty and dirty in here, mine looked ok but wasn't shiny. Good idea to clean it anyway imo.

Top Bottom