Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
Arnie_Oli

Default Replacing alternator regulator 200A - recommended parts?

Anyone got any advice on replacing the alt regulator? Have a genuine Bosch fitted. Just clambered under to read the part it's a BR14-M3 part # f00m145248

Replacing due to lower voltage than would like when running and slight leak draining the battery through it when standing.

I have a 200A unit installed and was curious if all the regulators are the same, if any 3rd party OEM units were any good and if anyone had a line on the best place to get them? Searching here they are about 50 from Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro which means I am probably lying under the van wishing I had a crawler and a large warm workshop I could park in.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 6,137 Times in 4,542 Posts
Default Re: Replacing alternator regulator 200A - recommended parts?

The regulator is what determines the "200 amp" output of the alternator.
So you certainly can't swap in a regulator intended for a 90 amp unit.

--dick
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Arnie_Oli (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Arnie_Oli

It is almost impossible to find spec sheets for these things!

Apparently F00M144139 supersedes part 248 (source: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../messages/9519 ) so I have ordered that from a reputable seller.

If anyone has a line on finding the spec sheets from Bosch that list the ampage output please do let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro which means I am probably lying under the van wishing I had a crawler and a large warm workshop I could park in.

Last edited by Arnie_Oli; 06-07-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Arnie_Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Arnie_Oli

dick - I've called Bosch Technical direct, and they confirmed that F00M144139 replaces F00M145248. More importantly they have confirmed that the same regulator works for all Amp ratings up to an including 200Amp.

I've got a 139 on order due today for mine and will confirm fitment and photograph the replacement when I stick her in.#

I have asked for a spec sheet, but they state they don't supply those to the public as they don't want Chinese copies appearing.

If anyone else wants to confirm, you can contact your local Bosch folks. These are mine:

http://uk.bosch-automotive.com
Automotive Aftermarket
Address: Robert Bosch Ltd
Broadwater Park
North Orbital Road
Denham, Middlesex
UB9 5HJ
E-mail: contact@uk.bosch.com
Tel: 0844 892 0115
Aqua Puttana (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 12,118 Times in 7,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie_Oli View Post
dick - I've called Bosch Technical direct, and they confirmed that F00M144139 replaces F00M145248. More importantly they have confirmed that the same regulator works for all Amp ratings up to an including 200Amp.

I guess this is an obvious observation, but I can't resist.

The vehicle voltage and system requirements remain the same regardless of alternator amp rating. The output capability basically is dependent on the sizing of the main coils and diode bridge. The required excitation current may be higher or lower (percentage wise), but as long as the regulator is sized for worst case, that is not a problem.

Nice of Bosch to keep the regulator and brush design standard as to the different alternator amp ratings.

Good information. Thanks for checking and reporting back.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Arnie_Oli (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
Arnie_Oli

The reason I've been after the technical specs is because there are a number of unscrupulous sellers out there that charge more for the "200A model".... I've seen prices of upwards of 90 for a regulator when it's (at best) a 20 trade part. Just made no sense to me that the same part number cost fluctuated so much. It was also a major disappointment that Bosch/Merc/Dodge keep the info to themselves.

EDIT: Sorry Vic/dick I may have misinterpreted what you were saying. I was just pointing out that it's the same part that's sold for the 90Amp, 150A and 200A etc rated alternator. There may be other parts, but the common ..249/..139 part works for the lot, there are just retailers that sell the same part three times at different prices.

Last edited by Arnie_Oli; 06-09-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Arnie_Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
autostaretx
Erratic Member

I must admit to being curious... how do they prevent damage to the alternator's coils if one regulator fits all?

In Ye Olden Daze of DC generators and separate dual-coil regulators, the regulator had a "voltage" coil and a "current" coil.
The voltage coil would pull in the relay (thus energizing the field coils to create power), and the reversed-winding current coil would force it to drop out if the demands were too high.

That said, looking at the parts catalog for the 2006 T1N (http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/referen...s%20manual.pdf), i see that indeed they list three alternators (90, 120 and 200 amp), but only one regulator.
(90: 05134199AA , 120: 05134204AA, 200: 05117587AB, regulator: 05135837AA )

(((the 2005 catalog (http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/referen...s%20manual.pdf) only lists one alternator: 05134199AA and regulator: 05135837AA )))

--dick
Old 06-10-2017, 02:19 AM   #8
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 12,118 Times in 7,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
I must admit to being curious... how do they prevent damage to the alternator's coils if one regulator fits all?

--dick
Are you assuming that the regulator limits the output, not the limits of the alternator coils/diode bridge?

Excitation vs alternator coils of itself can be self limiting. Does more excitation of the unit exponentially result in more output than designed when pushed into an undercharged battery?

I thought that the purpose of the regulator was to control system voltage (within limits) and to avoid over-charging which can ruin a battery.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:33 AM   #9
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Are you assuming that the regulator limits the output,
... I was...
Quote:
not the limits of the alternator coils/diode bridge?
Well, the diodes are part of the regulator assembly... (i think)

And if you're hoping/designing the alternator coils to limit current (given that you're going to get 12 to 14v of field current), you've got to be pretty precise in your coil turns count and iron poles to limit the B-field enough to prevent the spinning alternator from generating too much current (i.e. overheat itself) for its wire size, BUT still ample enough to develop full rated charge at less that full-tilt engine speeds.
Quote:
Excitation vs alternator coils of itself can be self limiting. Does more excitation of the unit exponentially result in more output than designed when pushed into an undercharged battery?
... or into heavy-current accessories all being turned on at once (plus charging the Aux battery).
Quote:
I thought that the purpose of the regulator was to control system voltage (within limits) and to avoid over-charging which can ruin a battery.
One (or, at least *i*) would hope that there's a dollop of "save the alternator from self-destruction" tossed in there, too.

But that may now be "old-school" thinking. too...

--dick
p.s. oh, well... at least it's nice to know that even a 90 amp alternator has 200-amp-rated diodes...
Old 06-10-2017, 04:07 AM   #10
Gaspiping Sprinter

Most of the time only the brushes wear out on the regulator anyway so they can be changed with ease ! search you tube and you will find this polish fellow who speaks with an Irish accent who has nice detailed videos on this subject . ( Bosch alternator )
* Raise Your Consciouness *
Gaspiping Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote