Skylight brush guards

T

tneuer

The bath skylight suffered a traumatic amptutation recently so when I replaced it, I made a brush/garage door guard to protect it when it happens again. Eventually, I'll get around to adding one to the front skylight.

Tom

Attachments

Riptide

Tom, that looks like a great idea!

"Traumatic amputation" sounds like it has a great back story...

T

tneuer

I wish it was a great story.
I just need to make sure the garage door is completely open before exiting.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Very clever. Screwed or glued on?? Can't wait to see your design for protection for the big skylight. Could even use the new side rails to hook a protective shade cover when vehicle is not in use.

The Fantastic Fan with flat lid has a lower profile but still sticks above the roof and some/many folks prefer a clear opening in bathroom. The Heki skylight also protrudes quitena bit above roof although there are photos on web of campervans with flush car-type sunroofs.

Wish there were a flush or lower profile sunroof replacement for.the Heki.

Some James Cook photos show a fiberglass top without a front spoiler in front of the big skylight area. Don't know if done by model year or whether one has big skylight.

Worst item was the Airstream added tv antenna--designed to hook things. When I went to an insurance adjuster located in a crowded city for the damage caused by another person's axle/wheel/tire flying off, I specifically called and asked beforehand that there was plenty of height clearance at their claims location--no problem. So I drive down their driveway and hook some telephone wires with the tv antenna.

You'd think the designers would figure out a way to ensure low hanging wires and branches don't get hooked but slide over the roof.

Riptide

I wish it was a great story.
I just need to make sure the garage door is completely open before exiting.
I know that feeling. I've forgotten to lower my rollover bar on my tractor so many times that I now just keep a can of wood filler and a spatula by the garage door...

T

tneuer

They are screwed on. I was able to slip in aluminum angle between the inner and outer fiberglass panels when the skylight was removed. It took a lot of flex out of that part of the roof. The wooden spacers just slide out so you can gain access to the area in between the inner and outer panels. There are 3 stainless nuts and bolts on each side with sealant in the holes and neoprene weatherstripping on the top.
Old West, you knew what I was thinking about more skylight protection. Eventually I'll make some sort of clip on cover for both of them to hopefully eliminate any UV or hail damage. I was thinking of using something like the aluminum slats in those roll up camping tables.
Most of the TV antenna had already been removed when I bought the Westy. All I had to do was remove the base plate and a dangling wire or two.

Top Bottom