Biocides and your fuel tank....

larrygee

In addition to my Sprinter, I own an old 81' Mercedes 240D.

Noticed a recent loss of power when at op temps on the 240D. Checked the opaque in line filter (which was replaced about 3 k ago, and it was black.

Wrench says it's bacterial sludge in the tank, probably caused by water in the fuel. Is going to replace all filters and use a biocide to clean the tank.

So, being the worry wart that I am..... I started thinking about my Sprinter.

While I haven't notice any performance issues, I AM wondering about how to determine if I have any mold/algae/bacteria etc., growing in my tank and how to prevent if from happening if there isn't.

I hate to get into the "additives" arguments (almost as bad as oil threads) BUT, I am curious if;

A) has any sprinter owner had issues with bacteria/sludge affecting their tank or motor?

Last edited:

ben322

I don't use my F350 s much as I used too so in addition to leaving the tank full, I've also added a biocide and haven't had a problem.

larrygee

How many fuel filters in the 3.0 liter engine? My old 240 has 3. 1 inline, 1 spin on at the pump, 1 in the tank.

Last edited:

While I haven't notice any performance issues, I AM wondering about how to determine if I have any mold/algae/bacteria etc., growing in my tank and how to prevent if from happening if there isn't.

I hate to get into the "additives" arguments (almost as bad as oil threads) BUT, I am curious if;

A) has any sprinter owner had issues with bacteria/sludge affecting their tank or motor?
I haven't had any Sprinter issues.

From marine/boat experience, the problem with bio growth in your fuel tank is that once it has taken hold the only real practical solution for small systems is to completely clean the tank and system. For large capacity systems there are methods to "polish" the fuel to clean things up, but they are not generally cost effective on smaller diesel fuel systems.

Even biocide suppliers will caution that once the bio mass is established a system cleaning is recommended to address the problem.

So... in my mind the practical solution is to use a biocide before you have problems. In your case you apparently have had conditions which allowed bio growth to take hold in one vehicle. Is another diesel living in the same environment also vulnerable? Is the same fuel supplier(s) used? Are they operated/stored similarly? :idunno:

Mercedes addresses biocides in BeVo. To me that is an admission that bio contamination is a known possible problem. Accepting that, the question becomes not whether you may need to apply a biocide, but whether you need to follow the Mercedes product recommendation or use another proven product that is not on the MB list. (I believe that Mercedes only recommends one product. Grotamar. http://www.grotamar.com/grotamar-en/Microbial-contamination.php

If I had one diesel with a problem I'd be inclined to apply a preventative additive to all others rather than waiting to find out if my one vehicle was an isolated instance. What happens to other people's vehicles does not necessarily apply to your situation.

I have no data.

:2cents: vic

Added:
All of the boat owners that I know who have had a bio growth fuel problem, and paid for the system cleaning(s), are all now true believers in prevention additives.

Last edited:

FFred

Biocides like the Biobor jf will kill the "bugs".

If they have been aboard for a long time, sludge , their waste and dead bodies will have collected on the fuel tank walls.

Treat the system to kill them all and wait to see if the filter can handle the load over time.

Filter changes are easier than taking down the tank and having it steam cleaned.

Biocides like the Biobor jf will kill the "bugs".

If they have been aboard for a long time, sludge , their waste and dead bodies will have collected on the fuel tank walls.

Treat the system to kill them all and wait to see if the filter can handle the load over time.

Filter changes are easier than taking down the tank and having it steam cleaned.
Using the system filters can work. Fuel filter cost may be a factor.

Once it has progressed to the point of affecting operation generally the bio mass is pretty well established

Given the price of some styles of (NCV3) Sprinter OEM fuel filters, tank removal and cleaning may actually be the cheaper alternative to letting the OEM filter handle the dead bodies.

vic

Last edited:

larrygee

Well, treated the tank with Biofor. Been 2 days now. Checked the inline filter and see specs of black debris but nothing like the filter I replaced. Of course, that filter had been on for months. Not sure how long it takes for the dead particulate to find it's way into the filters.

In the meantime, found a local company that will chemically treat the fuel tank. They go in from the fuel tank sending unit opening( this is on my 240D,. Pour in the chemicals, then use a filtered vacuum pump to pull out the dead stuff leaving your tank nice and clean. $120 or so and 1.5 hours estimated time.

Going to wait and see what the filter looks like after I've run through this tank of fuel. ....

Last edited:

Top Bottom