Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Dealer and Supplier List > Supplier Info, Reviews, and Experiences

Supplier Info, Reviews, and Experiences Got suppliers? List them here.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,814 Times in 834 Posts
Default Sportsmobile 4x4 option for Sprinters

Looks like Sportsmobile will be the supplier for oem 4x4 systems for the Sprinter. I think this would be for the current Sprinters and not for the new body styles.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/6_news.html

sprinter4x4_02.jpg

Quote:
New Four-Wheel Drive Option Available for Dodge Sprinter Vans

Fresno, CA -- Sportsmobile West is excited to announce the introduction of a Four-Wheel Drive option for the Dodge Sprinter chassis. Sportsmobile will debut their 4x4 Sprinter at the Los Angeles International Auto Show Dec. 1-10 at the Los Angeles Convention Center, booth number K-620.

Sportsmobile West has developed a strategic alliance with Oberaigner Gmbh Fahrzeungtechnik, an Austrian four-wheel drive component developer and the manufacturer of four-wheel drive systems installed by DaimlerChrysler in the Mercedes Sprinter chassis built at the Dusseldorf, Germany, factory.

Sportsmobile West will be the exclusive supplier and installer of this system in the United States. Oberaigner and Sportsmobile are very excited about their partnership and look forward to supporting the United States market with this impressively designed and manufactured 4x4 system.

The Oberaigner company was founded in 1977 by Wilhelm Oberaigner. In 1985 Oberaigner developed the four-wheel drive technology on the T-1 from DaimlerChrysler AG to support the demand for this option in Europe. The company has since expanded and enhanced the development of four-wheel drive components and systems. Oberaigner is now the fixed system supplier to DaimlerChrysler AG in Germany.

The four-wheel drive system will allow for better traction in foul weather and off-highway uses. The system includes a new transfer case with independent and front drive axle for shifting power to the front wheels in addition to the stock rear drive system. The system also features a completely engineered and designed front axle assembly and steering system, new drive shafts, and a rear axle kit. System options will include an all-wheel drive permanent system and a four-wheel drive two-speed system.

The start-up production date for the Sportsmobile Sprinter 4x4s is Spring 2007.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Zach Woods
Super Moderator

Default Re: Sportsmobile 4x4 option for Sprinters

Very interesting find and post, Seek!

Sportsmobile does seem to truly understand these vehicles. Hopefully they can offer the 4x4 at a price that will both allow folks to purchase this upgrade and also allow Sportsmobile to make some money. I am guessing these systems are going to be very expensive.

Last edited by Zach Woods; 12-09-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Zach Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
georgetg
2005 140" low roof

Probably around 10-15K would be my guess...
Obereigner charges between 7500-10000 Euros so you can figure a good markup on that...

there are 3 4x4 sprinter upfitters Oberiegner Achtleitner and Igelhaut going lowest to highest price...

Also Achtleitner completely modifies the Sprinter into their own vehicle the Mantra...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg galerie-152-0.jpg (21.2 KB, 881 views)
File Type: jpg galerie-152-1.jpg (10.8 KB, 850 views)
File Type: jpg galerie-152-2.jpg (16.6 KB, 849 views)
18" G-Wagen "Ashtaroth" wheels Cooper Discover H/T Plus 265/60 R18, Koni red shocks,
MaxxFan Deluxe.[SOLD June 2013] http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...+camper&page=6
georgetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Zach Woods
Super Moderator

Latest Sportsmobile announcement suggests that because Daimler Chrysler will be offering a 4x4 option in future, Sportsmobile has decided not to offer their 4x4 upgrade.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/6_news.html
Zach Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
VanSyncro

That explains why I didn't get a 2nd response on converting my westy a week ago.
2005 Sprinter Westfalia #123
Hi-Idle; Genset Delete, Kenwood, Nav, HD, XM, BT, Cam; Icom IC-706MKIIG; Valentine 1; Viper Remote Start; Rear Air Bags; Scan Gauge; Custom Spare Carrier w/antenna; KLR-650 Toad, Soon to be Samurai, then Diesel Samurai.

See My Wheel Package for sale
VanSyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
Scott_Mc
Sprintering Since Aug/02

Arrow Re: Sportsmobile 4x4 option for Sprinters

I've zero interest in the 4x4 option but I do hope that they will make the manual tranny available for it.
RUNS like 25,000 miles....LOOKS like 1/2 a milllion...
Thank you Mercedes for the substandard paint prep & corrosion prevention throughout.
My '99 Audi Avant, 4 years older and 15K more miles...ZERO RUST.... You got me once!
Scott_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #7
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,862 Posts

The ones I have seen are manual, or auto Sprintshift, never seen one with a standard auto, can't see how it would work any way unless it was 7 speed triponic and that's not an option fro the 4x4
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:09 AM   #8
therabbittree

If this 2008 4x4 rumor is true, then I think I will hold off and save some dough then.. cuz I would really like the 4x4 due to the ice and snow here in the north east..heck I have gotten stuck in my own driveway before haha..I wonder if a 4x4 factory option would be similar to the the price a 4x4 vs 4x2 truck is?..that would be great, but i doubt it.. a manual trans is also on my dream list..
Thanks,
Deo
therabbittree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:15 AM   #9
BMA

I'm also holding off till '08. After seeing a few Sprinters I figured they would be a good dual use vehicle for me. Both farm supply fetching, and as a RV for trips. My main issue was lack of 4WD or I'd have one now. 4WD would allow an additional use of general farm repair vehicle. I would be outfitting the sprinter with a generator, house battery bank and inverter. These could be used to power the heavy AC drills I use for putting in fence gates. If mount those items so they are under the floor in the "basement" and I do the interior right most of the year it is wide open inside for farm supplies. For my RVing time I would install a few modules to provide reasonable accomidations needed for trips.

Power Tech Generators has the PTRV-3 Diesel generator that is supposed to fit under the floor in a Sprinter. http://www.powertech-gen.com/
I'd like to see it actually installed before buying one. If it isn't useable I'm sure I could cobble one together that would even meet national park sound and spark emissions standards. I could then have a 200A alternator or two for fast charging the house batteries.
BMA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BMA For This Useful Post:
ckbiles (06-09-2011)
Old 07-03-2007, 03:38 AM   #10
InnoVAN

I want the bumper!
InnoVAN is offline   Reply With Quote