Moisture in side turn signal lamp

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Below the mirror, the side turn signal on my Sprinter was full of rain drops after our crazy California rain. I wondered how the rain got in and touched the cover, and it came off in my hand.

IMG_2778.JPG

It appears to be perfectly intact, but how do I reattach it? It appears to have been held in by glue that just got too dry over the years. Any thoughts on what to glue it down with? :thinking:

-Randy

Arnie_Oli

When things absolutely positively have to stick I prefer Gorilla glue of some form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro which means I am probably lying under the van wishing I had a crawler and a large warm workshop I could park in.

misterbond10

I dont care for gorilla glue personally, it expands, drys slow, and gets full of air bubbles.

If you use a credit card on one end of that turn signal you will actuate the clip and the whole thing should pop out. Silicone RTV would be a good choice for sealing out moisture and works decent as a glue. I like the GE silicone II caulk from home depot/lowes. great stuff all around, its not RTV though

The lenses on both my 2004 and 2006 show signs of moisture intrusion.

I popped the cover off my 2004 and decided that it isn't water tight and it would take too much effort to even try make it water tight.

My answer was to coat the lamp bases with Vaseline to help keep corrosion at bay.

Were my lenses not staying in place as designed I would suggest using a dab of Goop glue or non-acidic silicone seal on each end. That is based upon my belief that you will never accomplish a 100% seal anyway and in the future you may want to remove the lens for lamp replacement. Too much glue of any type may be a bad thing.

:2cents: vic

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Those things are a sealed unit. If you glue it, make sure it is water tight. Look for them on ebay. Price ranges from $10 a pair to $12 each. I haven't purchased new ones. Last year my lenses fell off like yours and I glued them. One filled up and ruined a LED bulb. The reglue a few weeks ago seems to have survived the last rain.
The light fixture is on many vehicles so it is an easy part to find.

misterbond10

I thought you couldn't use LED's on the sprinter? Or did you add one of those resistors to 'trick' the ecu into thinking it was incandescent?

You should be able to replace bulb even if you glue it. When I painted mine, the whole turn signal assembly would pop out with a credit card as I mentioned earlier, the back of it where the bulb connector goes and everything will come out

Last edited:

cahaak

I just used regular rubber based contact adhesive - 3M brand in a small foil like tube. I ran a small bead around the cover and the base, let dry for just a bit and adhered it. It isn't going anywhere now.

Chris

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I thought you couldn't use LED's on the sprinter? Or did you add one of those resistors to 'trick' the ecu into thinking it was incandescent?

You should be able to replace bulb even if you glue it. When I painted mine, the whole turn signal assembly would pop out with a credit card as I mentioned earlier, the back of it where the bulb connector goes and everything will come out
I put in lots of LEDs on my 2006. I did need resistors in the turn signals to get them to tick at the right rate. I didn't find the dim tail light bulbs so I screened down the LED I did find.

Yes, the whole thing pops out and is replaceable. You can reach the back of the light inside the hood and can flick the release there too.

I looked in my notes on this and here are the numbers.
05124431AA
Depo 440-1406N-UE

Top Bottom