Curt 13250 hitch too small for 2006 2500 140"

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
I just went to install my Curt 13250 hitch and there is a good 1/2" gap between the frame rails and the hitch plate. and the is *after* the triangular Curt shims have been installed. The darn hitch is 1/2" too narrow. I checked the sticker on the hitch and it is a 13250. I checked eTrailer fitment, and yes it is correct for a 2006 2500 140".

Anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

I just went to install my Curt 13250 hitch and there is a good 1/2" gap between the frame rails and the hitch plate. and the is *after* the triangular Curt shims have been installed. The darn hitch is 1/2" too narrow. I checked the sticker on the hitch and it is a 13250. I checked eTrailer fitment, and yes it is correct for a 2006 2500 140".

Anyone else have this problem?
I used Cequent hitches.

This post in Sikwan's thread showed your Curt 13250 number.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=112#post112

A 1/2" gap seems like quite a bit, but it is only 1/4" per side. Will the plates draw in enough to just take up the space by compressing with the bolts?

This was my method for installing a Cequent hitch.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=457432#post457432

Good luck.

vic

I sure wouldn't trust a hitch that would flex 1/2".
Why not?

Being a bit wide may be part of the design for build inconsistency. If the hitch width is even slightly too close it would not be easy to spring it apart for installation. A bit too wide allows it to slide up into place.

Maybe you haven't seen the vertical assemblies that attach to the frame? They are designed for straight on pull. The bolted frame attachment provides the stiffness. I wouldn't be concerned at all.

My experience is with 2 ea. Cequent hitch installations.They too were a bit wider than the frames.

Nobody who has installed a Curt hitch has chimed in here. It may be typical to the brand. If not, then more contact with the manufacturer would be a good idea.

:2cents: vic

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
Here's an update.

The hitch flanges, where they attach to the hitch cross member are the correct width, but the flanges bend a bit inward at the point where they mount to the frame. Maybe this is from heat bending when welding, - who knows. :thinking:

Anyways, I spoke with a tech at eTrailer. Turns out this is *very* common. So common that they even publish a little diagram on how to spread the hitch. See attached.

Attachments

Ltdan

FWIW I installed the same hitch on the same van and did not have any problems once everything was snugged up.
Dan

Top Bottom