Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 12:14 AM   #1
Tannys
2016 Unity TB
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 187
Thanks: 49
Thanked 123 Times in 65 Posts
Default Winterization with RV antifreeze help

Freezing weather is forecast and I made a decision today to winterize with RV antifreeze. We use bottle water for drinking and I decided to use RV antifreeze to make the job quick and easy. I am a newbie and this is my first rv winterizing experience. I watched the winterizing video on the LT website and everything went great until I got to the following step. About 8 minutes into the video Brad shows how to release the pressure and expel some pink stuff from the water inlet. When I pressed the backflow prevention spring to release a little antifreeze it stuck and all of the antifreeze came leaking out. I can't get the back flow preventer to seal now. When I turn on the pump to add more RV antifreeze it starts spraying out the water inlet. Any ideas on how I can get the little spring loaded tab in the water inlet to close?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inlet.jpg (142.9 KB, 129 views)
Tannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:47 AM   #2
Tannys
2016 Unity TB
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 187
Thanks: 49
Thanked 123 Times in 65 Posts
Default Re: Winterization with RV antifreeze help

I am thinking that the O-ring blew off the check valve when I released the pressure. Is replacing the fresh water inlet a reasonably easy job? Do I just remove the 3 screws and screw on the new inlet to the pipe? Is there some slack in the pex pipe that connects to the inlet to ke the connection? Has anyone done this? Any advice is appreciated.


NEW RV CAMPER MOTORHOME TRAILER MARINE WHITE CITY WATER FILL INLET FLANGE BRASS WITH CHECK VALVE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017MONLP2..._jUpqyb07606F9
Tannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
Klipstr
2018 Wonder FTB
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Rio Verde and Show Low AZ
Posts: 747
Thanks: 153
Thanked 372 Times in 239 Posts
Default Re: Winterization with RV antifreeze help

I had never winterized using compressed air before. Did this fall. Wow! Much easier and less messy. As long as I don't have a bunch of leaky pipes next spring I'm saying goodbye to the pink stuff forever!
__________________
Kelly

Rio Verde and Show Low AZ
2018 Wonder FTB

https://cuernoverdesolar.wordpress.com/
Klipstr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Klipstr For This Useful Post:
avanti (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
Tannys
2016 Unity TB
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 187
Thanks: 49
Thanked 123 Times in 65 Posts
Default Re: Winterization with RV antifreeze help

I fixed it! This is the first issue we have had and I am very impressed with the customer service at Leisure Travel. I called LTV, left a message and Daryl in customer service called me right back. The job took 5 minutes and Daryl guided me through the process of removing the water inlet and reassembling the internal parts while on speakerphone. Even though this is a relatively simple job I could never have done it without Daryl's guidance. I have never experienced better customer service than what LTV provided me with today. Great people, great product and they care about their customers.

After this experience I am done with the pink stuff and will use compressed air in the future. Live and learn!
Tannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
israndy
2007 LTV Serenity
 
israndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 1,905
Thanks: 416
Thanked 558 Times in 412 Posts
Default Re: Winterization with RV antifreeze help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipstr View Post
I had never winterized using compressed air before. Did this fall. Wow! Much easier and less messy. As long as I don't have a bunch of leaky pipes next spring I'm saying goodbye to the pink stuff forever!
What did you use as a source of air? I have a little tire inflating pump, would that work? I have the big compressor tank for air tools, I could use that too, but that seems like a lot of energy to blow thru the lines.

I did just winterize my big RV with the pink stuff. I didn't run it thru the washing machine, but I did last winter, hopefully it's still got pink in there.

-Randy
__________________
T1N 2005 3500 based 2007 Leisure Travel Van's Serenity
Also a 40' Airstream Sky Deck, a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2000 Honda Hybrid Insight, new 2013 Volvo C70 hardtop convertible
And all electric: March 2018 Tesla Model Ƹ, 2012 Mitsubishi i-Miev and two 2007 Vectrix VX1 motorcycles
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
alichty
2014 LTV Unity TB
 
alichty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 1,875
Thanks: 241
Thanked 1,221 Times in 745 Posts
Default Re: Winterization with RV antifreeze help

Quote:
Originally Posted by israndy View Post
What did you use as a source of air? I have a little tire inflating pump, would that work? I have the big compressor tank for air tools, I could use that too, but that seems like a lot of energy to blow thru the lines.

I did just winterize my big RV with the pink stuff. I didn't run it thru the washing machine, but I did last winter, hopefully it's still got pink in there.

-Randy
Almost any compressor will work just fine - drop the pressure to about 30psi and use the adapter LTV supplied (at least they did for the Unity models). I guess if you have a really big compressor you might be right about overkill.
__________________
Alan Lichty
2014 Unity TB
alichty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alichty For This Useful Post:
avanti (12-03-2016), Suza (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #7
Suza
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 896
Thanks: 472
Thanked 162 Times in 131 Posts
Default Re: Winterization with RV antifreeze help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipstr View Post
I had never winterized using compressed air before. Did this fall. Wow! Much easier and less messy. As long as I don't have a bunch of leaky pipes next spring I'm saying goodbye to the pink stuff forever!
We were thinking of doing this, since it doesn't get extremely cold (usually) where we live. But, with draining the Truma water heater, and the need to get antifreeze into the macerator pump, it was just as easy to go ahead and put anti-freeze in the lines. Brad touched, briefly, on blowing out the lines with air, but details of the process were lacking and we weren't quite sure of the process.

Would you mind sharing a step-by-step with us
__________________
Ray and Susan Huff
2017 Unity TB
2014 Cougar 279RKS 5th-wheel (retired)
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #8
Suza
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 896
Thanks: 472
Thanked 162 Times in 131 Posts
Default Re: Winterization with RV antifreeze help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannys View Post
I fixed it! This is the first issue we have had and I am very impressed with the customer service at Leisure Travel. I called LTV, left a message and Daryl in customer service called me right back. The job took 5 minutes and Daryl guided me through the process of removing the water inlet and reassembling the internal parts while on speakerphone. Even though this is a relatively simple job I could never have done it without Daryl's guidance. I have never experienced better customer service than what LTV provided me with today. Great people, great product and they care about their customers.

After this experience I am done with the pink stuff and will use compressed air in the future. Live and learn!
I guess, since you are blowing the air through the city water inlet, this will winterize it as well. What pressure do you use? Blow air until no water comes out the faucets? Wouldn't we still need to get antifreeze into the macerator toilet pump (TB)?
__________________
Ray and Susan Huff
2017 Unity TB
2014 Cougar 279RKS 5th-wheel (retired)
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #9
alichty
2014 LTV Unity TB
 
alichty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 1,875
Thanks: 241
Thanked 1,221 Times in 745 Posts
Default Re: Winterization with RV antifreeze help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suza View Post
I guess, since you are blowing the air through the city water inlet, this will winterize it as well. What pressure do you use? Blow air until no water comes out the faucets? Wouldn't we still need to get antifreeze into the macerator toilet pump (TB)?
See above - no more than 30psi.
__________________
Alan Lichty
2014 Unity TB
alichty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alichty For This Useful Post:
Suza (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 12:29 AM   #10
Suza
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 896
Thanks: 472
Thanked 162 Times in 131 Posts
Default Re: Winterization with RV antifreeze help

Quote:
Originally Posted by alichty View Post
See above - no more than 30psi.
Thanks! I missed that
__________________
Ray and Susan Huff
2017 Unity TB
2014 Cougar 279RKS 5th-wheel (retired)
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.