Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
Discussion: Scanners

Old 09-20-2016, 03:31 AM   #1
lindenengineering

Thanked 8,350 Times in 4,352 Posts
Default No wheel tappers and shunters clubs

Well Guys
It happened again!
In rolled a 2008 906 with the rear axle cocked sideways under the van.

A quick look and a tap with a half pound Eswing ball pein hammer from Home Despot and I got the "plunk sound" not a nice "ping ringing" which a TIGHT U bolt should ring when tapped with "Maxwell's silver hammer blow"!

So up she went and down came the axle--Uh--Hoh--sheered pin on the passengers side and wallowed out spring perch location on the drivers side!

So a wallet flush in the making!
2 off rear road springs $800.
4 off U bolts $48
8 off nut $84
Then a rear axle $4800 exchange and three hours of labor!
All could be avoided if you as Sprinter owners joined the American branch of the British wheel tappers and shunters club founded in 1829 with the Rainhill Trials.

Club entry rules are simply be in possession of an Eswing hammer from Home Despot !
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-2...24BP/202183854

Be prepared to don some overalls and get slightly grubby!
'Thems that finds' loose rear axles and saves the bank balance for greater things & keep the missus family budget happy will get my Special Wheel & U Bolt Whackers Diploma !
Torque is 125 British Pounds Ft

Get tap whacking every service interval for you DIY'rs
Keepin' yur Sprinter Ship shape 'n Bristol Fashion!
Dennis

https://www.google.com/search?q=grea...8at1J46njFM%3A
lindenengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (09-20-2016), edfrompa (10-06-2016), ktm 300 (09-27-2016), Nightpanda (09-20-2016), Oldfartt (09-20-2016), robmurray12 (09-21-2016), stroud_omnibus (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 03:43 AM   #2
lindenengineering

Default Re: No wheel tappers and shunters clubs

By the way one of the esteem founders of the Wheel Tappers and Shunters Club.

Dennis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isamba...unelChains.jpg
Old 09-20-2016, 06:28 AM   #3
stroud_omnibus

As a bus, mine gets a good 'tapping' every 28 days. I think they give every visible nut a wallop. Saying that I don't think any Sprinter I've had has had anything quite as catastrophic as an axle drop off!

Right, off to Bath (B-arr-th if you're posh, B-aahh-th if you're not) to collect some punters from a swanky hotel.........

2006 413CDI, 16 seat minibus
based in Great Britain
stroud_omnibus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stroud_omnibus For This Useful Post:
lindenengineering (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
Tooth Fairy
Away with the fairies.

One of my rounds often includes an afternoon soiree at one of the most exclusive clubs at the local stable for the local fleet of rubbish collecting machines, a most prestigious club as only the finest thoroughbreds are admitted.

I have seen the shoer doing the rounds with a 4kg hammer with which he pounds each and every hoof of every beast to see if they are at the right inflation, he can tell just by the sound if they are within regulation for the race that will begin next morning at 4am.

Previous vehicles.
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty (excellent for 13 years from new)
2004 Mercedes T1N 316 (secondhand ex ambulance)
2011 Mercedes Vito 115 (secondhand ex police camera vehicle)
2011 Mercedes NCV3 316 cab chassis 4x4 (secondhand absolute piece of sh!t, I hope it burns in hell)
Tooth Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tooth Fairy For This Useful Post:
lindenengineering (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
lindenengineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroud_omnibus View Post
As a bus, mine gets a good 'tapping' every 28 days. I think they give every visible nut a wallop. Saying that I don't think any Sprinter I've had has had anything quite as catastrophic as an axle drop off!

Right, off to Bath (B-arr-th if you're posh, B-aahh-th if you're not) to collect some punters from a swanky hotel.........
Oh then they will be munching on B--aahh-th biscuits and Stilton then!
Swigged down with halfs of bitter or whaaet waene sitting in them fancy cafes on the Poultney Bridge then !

Yes the "tapper club" is large! Like Tooth Fairly! Im dah know the virtues of the skill with them thar thoroughbred rubbish trucks Down Under!~
For sure this practice has spread even to places like India!

By 1897 it was in full force where Punkas got promoted to Tappers on such enterprises as the Munga Railways in Gwalior State!
One bloke called Rudyard Kipling even wrote a book about it called Captain Courageous!

Then bloody Germans got in on the act and had instruction in "Gearman" not to be outdone!!
Das ABC des Lachens: ein Anekdotenbuch zur Unterhaltung und Belehrung. "Ein alter Mann kommt mit einem langen Hammer und klopft nach der bekannten Methode die Räder ab." ..."Der Mann: „Nächsten Juli werden's fünfzig Jahre." Passagier: «Dann sagen Sie mir, bitte, — was ist eigentlich der Grund, weshalb die Räder so beklopft werden?» Der Mann (kratzt sich den Kopf) : «Ich will verdammt sein, wenn ich's weiß!...»

(English: An old man, a wheeltapper, was walking along, tapping the wheels with a long hammer. A passenger, his neighbour of fifty years, asked him that day: "Pray tell me : why do you tap the wheels?" The old man replied, scratching his head: "I'll be damned if I know.")
And there's the problem why Sprinter axles come loose in the USA--I will be damned if I know!
But its maintenance of a fine well oiled machine known worldwide except it seems in the USA !
Carry on tapping !
In the meantime I will be thinking of green paper--oiling & tapping up the credit card machine--- And promoting the practice here in Denver!
Have a nice trip past Tetbury, Hmm autumn in south Gloucestershire!
Dennis
Old 09-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
stroud_omnibus

Hello again Dennis! Trip went well all things considered. Not being a 'morning' person I wasn't aware of the sheer scale of traffic around such a place. Bath is always bad in the centre but it was manic for miles around!

My punters were all 'not from these shores' (my mate picked them up from Heathrow yesterday) and were visiting the Hanson Aggregate head office in Chipping Sodbury next to the quarry.

This weekend I'm off with some mates to the East Lancs Railway in Bury so could very well see some wheel-tapping going on! Purpose of trip is to ride behind four splendid English Electric Class 40's. Oddly enough, one that is owned by the society of which I'm a member needs 16 new tyres as the existing ones are nearly at scrap tolerances. Let's hope the new ones ring like a bell once fitted!

2006 413CDI, 16 seat minibus
based in Great Britain
stroud_omnibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
lindenengineering

Alan
Bath was always a PITA to around in!
Coming down Lansdown Hill was always bad even in the 70's when I was a tech instructor for Gloucestershire CC. Long times have past since then; can't imagine what its like there now!

Riding some Deltics eh!
Fine locomotives enjoy the trip!
Dennis
Old 09-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
nutterbutter
2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N

2004 with 82k miles. I tightened the rear axles last year... they were a little loose. I re-torqued them last week to 125 ft-lbs plus a quarter turn. Has made my reverse 'clunk' a little quieter. (sounds like two scuba tanks banging into each other).

I suspect there is some damage to the pins/holes between the axle and spring.

Will tightening them further help? How tight can I go before I worry about breakage?
Old 09-21-2016, 12:54 AM   #9
robmurray12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
By the way one of the esteem founders of the Wheel Tappers and Shunters Club.

Dennis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isamba...unelChains.jpg
^Interesting read! Ashamed to have never heard of the man but gotta love some engineering history. Apparently he wasn't a very good magician... damn near killed himself.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:49 AM   #10
lindenengineering

Rob
He is most famous for duping a young apprentice into the hull section of the Leviathan later to be called the Great Eastern and welding him in as in entombment .
The person's mortal remains were found some 30 odd years later when they broke the ship up for salvage.
Hence he goes down in British Engineering history as one of the greats but marred by his inability to fully & comprehensively design something which covered all the possibilities.

But in those days the working class of the British Isles were regarded as fodder for some cause in any case!
The 1st World War was the pinnacle of British stupidity and sacrifice for King and Country.
Cheers if any cheer can be got from that
Dennis