Axle Nut Socket Size ?

Tcalp

Hi Guys,

I need to change my front lower ball joints, I've been looking around and can't seem to find what size the axle nut is. It's a 2006 Dodge Sprinter with a 158" Wheel base.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
First a question, are you absolutely certain that you need to change your ball joints?

From reading posts on the forum it seems many garages say the ball joints need changing when in reality they do not!

Have a read of the attached bulletin then go back and check if they really do need changing.

Keith.

View attachment Ball Joint GI33.00-N-039932_Ver_3.pdf

Tcalp

Oh, I'm sure my ball joints are just fine, but here in Ontario we have RIDICULOUS safety inspection laws as of earlier this year.

Tcalp

I just need to document that they have been changed, I already have the new parts on the way, just need to go to the local auto parts shop and loan out the tools I need and buy the right socket for the axle nut.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The sad truth is that you will replace the ball joints just to fail the inspection again! :bash: There is a Daimler service notice that instructs not to check the joints using the standard method, as they will always show "excessive" play using this method.

Last edited:

Tcalp

I was told i needed new Inner Tie Rods, Lower Front Ball Joints, and Rear Saw Bar Link Kits. Is it likely that the mechanic just didn't know how to test properly for a Sprinter or ?

lindenengineering

Checking inner and outer tie rod ends is fairly elementary!
The same goes for sway bar links.
So far as lower control ball joints are are concerned I usually see them so badly mashed up that replacement is almost a safety related item!
It all boils down to neglect and not wanting to spend money!
Now
Remember Keith is posting from a UK perspective where invasive annual safety tests are the norm!
Fix it or off the road it goes and be taxed, unless you have a SORN.:thumbdown:

If that type of system (MOT) was implemented here there would be howls of protestation I assure you!
From my observations many Sprinter on this side would be getting Red Failure notices in the UK!
A Red 'Un?
Failure to test on safety grounds--must be towed from the test site!
Dennis
(UK MOT Inspector 1971 to 1973)
Fond memories of having sent many Morris', Vauxhalls, & Fiat Oxidizers all to the crusher!
D

Last edited:

Tcalp

I asked as the replacement sway bar links are looser than the ones currently installed (installed one of them today). From my personal inspection, nothing seems to be wrong with the existing links, they look to be in perfect shape.

slowgsr

End links aren't needed for safety anyways, and min pad thickness is 1.5mm for safety. It's not all that strict. However, I still keep up with the end links among other things.

Are you after a yellow annual?

tbuyan

'04 3500 140" low roof cargo w/dually delete
That illustrates it well. Did anyone else notice that in the first image Fig 3, item 2 it's a locking screw, but in Fig 4, item 8 it's a clamping nut?
MB service and parts literature is riddled with such inconsistencies.
Editorial standards? We don't need no stinking editorial standards!

It is exactly this sort of editorial lassitude that creates endless confusion and frustration in neophytes, not to mention curmudgeons.
Rant over. returning now to your regularly scheduled program.

Jodean

I did this ball joint thing, read every post for quite awhile, got in a fight at the alignment shop a couple times.

Finally gave up and just replaced the ball joints. They were shot. All i had was the vertical movement also. I changed them even though the test showed they were ok.

The new ball joints do NOT move up and down like the old ones. They DID need replacing.

The new ball joints do NOT move up and down like the old ones. ...
What brand ball joints? MB OEM have the particular design and tests described in the literature apply. Most, if not all, aftermarket ball joints will adapt a design that they already have and modify that to fit the application. They will not provide an MB OEM specific design. They provide a functional replacement part. Once a different design ball joint is installed the MB OEM sheet no longer applies.

They DID need replacing.
How do you know that?

Did you disassemble the part for inspection? Was there some other test that you applied? Did your tires show excessive or odd wear patterns?

vic

tbuyan

'04 3500 140" low roof cargo w/dually delete
I've read the "MB ball joints are different" dozens of times, but never an explanation other than "they're under tension at all times", or something.
So, zackly how are they different?

I've read the "MB ball joints are different" dozens of times, but never an explanation other than "they're under tension at all times", or something.
So, zackly how are they different?
:idunno:

I don't recall the design details ever being outlined here. I believe they are also called "compression" ball joints. If your search finds any info please let us know.

vic

Added:
I stumbled upon this.

I was organizing my desk and came across an old FedEx TSB on this very subject. That was a good reminder that I have long needed to post a Tech Alert.

Weekly phone calls from frustrated Sprinter owners facing expensive ball joint replacement during a State vehicle safety inspection was a very good reminder as well.

It appears that the majority of Sprinter ball joint inspections are being done incorrectly. And lots of money is being wasted by performing time consuming and expensive replacement of good ball joints.

The design of the Sprinter front suspension has the ball joints in constant compression, even when the vehicle is raised and the wheel is off the ground.

Traditional ball joint assessment methods are completely inappropriate for the Sprinter.

The factory recommendation (also FedEx recommendation): DO NOT even attempt the traditional method of measuring axial play (up and down play) by jacking of the lower A arm and then prying on the stub axle. This will likely show an 'alarming' amount of play which would result in a failing grade. Alarming for a traditional ball joint design but NOT the Sprinter.

Replacement should be considered only if the dust boot is torn (risk of contamination and loss of lube) or excess pivot friction or noise is present due to lack of lubrication (If the boot is not torn it is unlikely that lubrication will be an issue).

I recall reading of similar confusion in England when the national vehicle safety inspection (the MOT) was resulting in needless Sprinter ball joint replacements due to incorrect assessment. The authorities later issued a 'spec' (3mm if I recall) to quell the uproar but it still did not recognize the unique design, it only provided a pass/fail number the techs could apply using a traditional and incorrect measuring procedure.

Sprinter ball joint replacement is an ugly, difficult, and expensive job which, if done without care, can result in damage and also front wheel sensor issues.

Educate your local tech.

Doktor A
I was organizing my desk and came across an old FedEx TSB on this very subject. That was a good reminder that I have long needed to post a Tech Alert. ...

It is not the construction of the ball joint itself but rather the design of the front suspension that the ball joint is mounted in, that calls for the unique inspection procedure.

Compared to the OEM ball joint a poor quality replacement ball joint may well flunk the approved inspection process prematurely (compared to OEM) but testing is same.

Flunking defined as loss of integrity of rubber boot which would allow ingress of moisture and/or egress of lube and/or excessive LATERAL play.

Doktor A

Last edited:

Top Bottom