Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
Jchirchirillo
JChirchirillo

Default Loss of power & woooo

2013 - 144" 6yl . 65k on OD.While Driving on the highway suddenly when on throttle there's a wooooo. Then 60% loss of power. At this point I'm hopeing to make it to work then to dealer... Turbo blown? Flat bed in or keep driving?
Jchirchirillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,353 Posts
Default Re: Loss of power & woooo

Hi,

As you say a sudden loss of power then my money would be on a turbo hose having blown off. Lift the hood and look carefully for any hose not connected between the turbo, intercooler and/or intake manifold. If you do find one then wipe away any oil and crud as well as you can and refit it. If it happens again then it may be worth investing in a new hose.

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
sailquik

Thanked 5,583 Times in 3,381 Posts

Jchirchirillo,
What is the "wooooo" you are referring too?
Is this a noise?
Does it sound like air escaping?
Or is it a more mechanical sound.
Is it at a very high frequency like a shriek?
Got to agree with Cheyenne here....sounds like you have a turbo hose that's somehow leaking.
Or possibly the turbocharger resonator on the LH side of your engine (over the LH valve cover) has
blown somehow.
Not a common issue, but it has been known to occur on the OM-642 V6 occasionally.
Do you have any sort of gauge package so you can see if your turbo boost (MAP Pressure or BST) is popping
off at a very high value, or perhaps whatever is leaking allows your turbo to reach a certain boost level and
then it starts to leak, putting you in a low boost Limp Home Mode.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Suspension Seats, Active Safety Package +, Parktronic, OEM Hitch/wiring
OEM back up camera, Bi Xenon light package, fog lamps, headlight washers.
Had 2006 T1N 3500/158|2010 NCV3 519/3500/144|2011 & 2012 NCV3 519/3500 170
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
Jchirchirillo
JChirchirillo

Hose was off intake . I re connected it . But still same woooo. No gauges here , fly by the seat of my azzz..
Old 07-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Jchirchirillo
JChirchirillo

Mb- turbo is blown
Cause - rubber boot on turbo was not changed when fuel filter was replaced . Therefore boot folded over and was sucked into turbo causing failure . They also said there's tons of bulletins about this. So Mb will not cover parts or labor under Ext mb 125k warrantee . Turbo is $2300 plus misc parts and labor. You can pretty much wipe your ass with mb Ext warrantee ..Really bs ...
Old 07-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
showkey

Thanked 1,722 Times in 1,182 Posts

Who changed the fuel filter ?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,501 Times in 9,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailquik View Post
Jchirchirillo,
What is the "wooooo" you are referring too?
Is this a noise?
Does it sound like air escaping?
Roger
As it turns out, maybe it should have been "Loss of power & woe".

Am I up to speed?

The fuel filter was changed and part of the process requires R&R remove and re-install of the hose from the air filter box to the turbo inlet?

Why would a new turbo hose part make a difference?

Was the seal design changed? If yes, then why is there just a Tech Notice and not a full recall? This sounds like a pretty serious flaw to me.

If the new part isn't re-designed then can't the new part be improperly installed the same as a used one?

I'd be over the top pissed off at this situation. With an extended warranty maybe contacting MB customer service will get some results.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
1109 (07-05-2016), Tooth Fairy (07-09-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
showkey

Thanked 1,722 Times in 1,182 Posts

Agree......a manufacturer not covering a repair while any warranty is in force is a very tricky. It would appear the power train and extended coverage are in being breached.
I think.an attorney would have a field day with the facts we know so far. Known part failure, no product updates, no notice to customers.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:10 AM   #9
noblemercedes

Turbo failures due to the intake seal failure is well documented in the June Shop Foreman's notes on CV Tekinfo. Mercedes is denying any warranty claims unless there is proof the turbo intake seal was replaced at the fuel filter change as per the factory workshop instructions (WIS). I completely agree that Mercedes should be covering the turbo but their point is that not replacing the seal or over tightening the clamp is an error on the Technician since it is clearly described in the WIS instructions.

The devil is in the details. This has always been a challenge with working on Mercedes. There are obscure but extremely important details in the WIS documents. You can have a stack of pages on even a simple job if you print out every operation. I understand buying yearly access to CV Tekinfo is probably not feasible for most DIY'er but it is becoming more and more necessary to read the WIS instructions before starting a job for the first time. I don't like writing the check for both Startekinfo and CV tekinfo but it is necessary if you want to be a truly professional shop. Not a bad idea to ask the shop that is servicing your van if they have access to the site. Many shops can talk a good game but not many spend the money to really educate themselves in order to protect their clients.

As for the idea of suing Mercedes, I am not an attorney but I would doubt any lawsuit would get very far. The Mercedes legal department in Montvale, NJ has used the fine print in WIS to defend their position many times in the past and they are very good at it. I was "on the other side of the desk" and had to work with the legal department many times when I managed the local dealerships. Mercedes only hires the best attorneys and I have seen clients spend huge amounts of money without getting very far.

The only legal recourse I see is to go after the shop that replaced the fuel filter last. Hopefully Jchirchirillo has the receipt from the last filter replacement and the shop has insurance or deep pockets to cover the mistake.

Mike
noblemercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to noblemercedes For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (07-03-2016), Bobnoxious (10-11-2018), Neil2 (11-19-2017), Vulgar Ninja (08-07-2018)
Old 07-03-2016, 04:03 AM   #10
Jchirchirillo
JChirchirillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblemercedes View Post
Turbo failures due to the intake seal failure is well documented in the June Shop Foreman's notes on CV Tekinfo. Mercedes is denying any warranty claims unless there is proof the turbo intake seal was replaced at the fuel filter change as per the factory workshop instructions (WIS). I completely agree that Mercedes should be covering the turbo but their point is that not replacing the seal or over tightening the clamp is an error on the Technician since it is clearly described in the WIS instructions.

The devil is in the details. This has always been a challenge with working on Mercedes. There are obscure but extremely important details in the WIS documents. You can have a stack of pages on even a simple job if you print out every operation. I understand buying yearly access to CV Tekinfo is probably not feasible for most DIY'er but it is becoming more and more necessary to read the WIS instructions before starting a job for the first time. I don't like writing the check for both Startekinfo and CV tekinfo but it is necessary if you want to be a truly professional shop. Not a bad idea to ask the shop that is servicing your van if they have access to the site. Many shops can talk a good game but not many spend the money to really educate themselves in order to protect their clients.

As for the idea of suing Mercedes, I am not an attorney but I would doubt any lawsuit would get very far. The Mercedes legal department in Montvale, NJ has used the fine print in WIS to defend their position many times in the past and they are very good at it. I was "on the other side of the desk" and had to work with the legal department many times when I managed the local dealerships. Mercedes only hires the best attorneys and I have seen clients spend huge amounts of money without getting very far.

The only legal recourse I see is to go after the shop that replaced the fuel filter last. Hopefully Jchirchirillo has the receipt from the last filter replacement and the shop has insurance or deep pockets to cover the mistake.

Mike
Mike the filter was replaced by myself using a Mann filter. And this was the 4x it was replaced. Was also driven at least 15k miles with that filter before this issue. I found rubber boot to be partially melted and cracked when I saw it last and before giving sprinter to mb service . The service manager said nothing about over tightening. Is there a torque spec? IMO the clamp would have failed if over tightened. The service manager commented that an after market fuel filter and clamp were used . Also the boot could have failed from not being changed or boot getting smashed and folded over during install. At this point mb service seems to pissed that I do my own service and is looking to make a point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jchirchirillo For This Useful Post:
miskolci (05-09-2018), plmbst (08-12-2016)