New Michelin Defender LTX M/S

This past weekend I experienced a partial belt de-lamination on one of my 37000 mile old original equipment Kumho tires...Went egg shaped after about 6 hours driving. They still had about 1/3 original tread and were approaching 5 years old from date of manufacture.

Yesterday I had all 5 replaced with Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I guess these are the replacement for the LTX M/S2.

Holy CRAP! I simply cannot believe how much smoother and quieter these tires are than the Kumhos that came off. The van feels transformed. I needed to drive a few miles on the interstate and some not-so-smooth side roads right after getting them installed and all I can say is other drivers must have wondered what meds I had been taking because of my big smile all the while.

Maybe - almost any new tire would feel that way at this point, but I was shocked at just how much noise and vibration I had been living with for some time.

In my brief ride I observed these felt a little less responsive to steering wheel input, but a much thicker tread and softer rubber would tend to do that.

I have yet to drive them in the rain but owner reviews are very encouraging regarding hydroplane resistance. Good to hear...last fall I had a pretty terrifying drive with the Kumho's on a long stretch of US64 in North Carolina with high crosswinds and heavy rains (this was the storm that dumped a couple feet of rain on South Carolina).

Eric Experience

Walter.
From your description you had far to much pressure in the Kumo's and the michelin are set at a more sensible pressure. Eric

Walter.
From your description you had far to much pressure in the Kumo's and the michelin are set at a more sensible pressure. Eric
Same pressures...47F 70R

When the van is empty I usually reduce the rear to 60 but from May-Oct it carries my race stuff and often tows the race car so the rears stay at 70.

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
Had similar positive experience when I put Michaels on our rv. These were the steel sidewall radials and the improvement in stability was impressive....just what my tire man predicted.

Walter.
That's crazy try 35 front 40 rear. Eric.
Those would about work for an empty Sprinter. Based on my load and Michelin's truck tire data book I should be at or above 40F/60R. When loaded with my racing gear, trailer and race car I just run the MB recommended 47/70.

None of this changes just how much smoother and quieter the Michelin's are than the Kumhos were...

Froggy

If I don't keep more than 55 psi in all four tires on my 2007 (Michelin M/S2), the low tire indicator dash light turns on.

mbroughton02

The Michelin LTX M/S2 is a great tire and I run them on my pickup (a Tacoma) as well as 4 of our Sprinters. I put the new LTX Defender on the 2012 this April, and so far so good. I honestly don't drive any one Sprinter often enough to notice the difference in handling between the Michelin and the Kumho, but I can say that the treadwear on the Michelins are fantastic. We are lucky to get 25k out of the factory tires, and I always replace with Michelins. I've bought almost all the vans their first set of Michelins, but I've yet to have to buy a second set for any of them :) We do run snow tires from October-April, though.

Eric Experience

Walter/1109
I am not knocking the michelin's I use them myself. My vehicles run 3.5 ton and 35 front and 40 rear is the highest I will go. If the road is unmade I drop down 30 35. Some Americans seem to have no idea about finding the sweet spot in tyre pressure. Eric

showkey

^^^^^^^^**...........OR.......they realize the issues involved with running a fully loaded vehicle with extremely low tire pressure :dripsarcasm:

Especially at high speed.........

http://www.michelintruck.com/assets/pdf/Truck_Tire_Data_Book_Sept2011.pdf

Page 25 gives the axle weight tire pressure chart for the LTX.
If you at 3000 per axle the chart says 35 psi could work.
If your at 4000 on the rear you should be at 50-55 psi.

I doubt Michelin encourages you to weigh the vehicle and call in for recommendations.

Last edited:

Leeb17

Just put a set of these on my '08 2500, 144" and made a huge difference. Run them 45f/65r when nothing inside. But then again, new tires always make a difference.

I just put a set of Defenders on my Tacoma today and agree that they feel great. But, would the Rib be a better tire for the Sprinter?

dnshaf

I have been using the Michelin M/S2 for the last 4-5 years. I just got my suppliers last set (in April) so I have another year before I go to the defenders. My last set I put 142,200 miles on them and I run 68psi front and 75 rear. Here's a photo of the two better ones.
Dan

Attachments

Eric Experience

Showkey.
What issue are you talking about. I am assuming you are running modern low rolling resistance tyres not old style bias ply USA tyres. Eric.

showkey

Showkey.
What issue are you talking about. I am assuming you are running modern low rolling resistance tyres not old style bias ply USA tyres. Eric.
Running at under spec. pressure, loaded at speed ........ends with tire failure.
In the states the best example is Firestone tires on Explorer SUV. Under inflated tires, fully loaded or over loaded at high speed .......ended poorly for all involved. It is the events that brought us the tread act, mandated TPMS systems and other govt intervention and regulation. A huge recall and better tire presure labels on the door pillar tag.

My point is a RV sprinter in the states might weigh in at 12,000 lbs. 30-40-50 psi would not be appropriate pressures and could end in disaster for the inexperienced owner looking for a "better ride".

Ford was accused of recommending low pressures for better ride.......but the customer use of the SUV was fully loaded or over loaded at high speed which again ended in disaster.
Many of the crashes were the owners fault for running below recommended pressures, thats what brought us TPMS. That why one post here was .....the light comes on if I run below 55 PSI.

Last edited:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
A curious Crow dares to ask...... :wtf::hmmm:

Showkey, what does the tire pressure placard say is your max weights and recommended pressures for that weight??

Last edited:

showkey

A curious Crow dares to ask...... :wtf::hmmm:

Showkey, what does the tire pressure placard say is your max weights and recommended pressures for that weight??
The MB placard shows

Front 4410 lbs 61 psi
Rest 7740 lbs. 61 psi

The Four Winds/ Thor placard shows

Front 4080 lbs. 57 psi
Rear 7740 lbs. 61 psi

Both show max 11030 lbs but actual add weight for front- rear together is 12150 or 11820 lbs ?
MY Actual weight with little or no cargo and one passenger weighed it 10440 lbs.

Last edited:

Eric Experience

Showkey.
The rubbish tyres ford put on the explorer is just the type I was referring to in my post. If you are using those then you would need more pressure to keep the heat down but your michelin's will easily handle the low pressure because of there modern low rolling resistance design. Why don't you let yours down to 25 psi and then go for a high speed dash then stop and feel the temperature. Eric.

Top Bottom