Body Panel leaks

I have a 2013 cargo 170 model van and am concerned about leaks from the body trim panels. I opened the sliding door lining to check on some visible water damage to the interior door panel. There is evidence of water seepage from the fasteners holding the body panel on. The water was trapped by some insulation (that I will now redo with thinsulate).

After a quick search I did not find any specific discussion of this problem.

So, if you can refer me to a thread, or have dealt with this problem successfully, please help.

sleeper bird

there are several post on that just look around,on my 08 i just caulked the top of the panels with black silicone ,really cant tell but do understand my van is a work van,if it were a nice camper i would probably pull the moldings and seal the body clips as i have seen done on the forum by someone.I believe what you saw is common,shouldn't be but it is

GSWatson

2013 144
Yep - easy to do. Pinch the clips on the inside with a pair of pliers and they pop right out of the holes. A dab of caulk around the fastener, pop back in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
You're talking about these panels? Like, five on the passenger side? I'm guessing the interior has to be removed to get at those clips; mine's a 2015 short one; should I be concerned?

Attachments

D

Deleted member 50714

You got to be kidding me! :thinking: MB failed to consider applying sealant at the factory? What a joke. That's not quality! :thumbdown::censored:

So, :thinking: I am curious about the long term consequences of using closed-cell spray foam in areas adjacent to these clip penetrations. On my 2015 crew, I noticed there appears to be a wax like anti-corrosion substance. Would this wax substance act like mold release prohibiting the spray foam from adhering to the inside body panels thus allowing water to migrate between the inside of body panel and spray foam causing corrosion? Especially, in regions where roads are routinely salted? Just asking questions!

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

sunnyside

You're talking about these panels? Like, five on the passenger side? I'm guessing the interior has to be removed to get at those clips; mine's a 2015 short one; should I be concerned?
Yes you should be concerned. If you have insulation in the lower panels and the clips leak it could hold water and create corrosion or mold problems down the road. You can remove he panels from the outside and seal the clips. Forum member Geek posted a video of him doing it.

sunnyside

You got to be kidding me! :thinking: MB failed to consider applying sealant at the factory? What a joke. That's not quality! :thumbdown::censored:

So, :thinking: I am curious about the long term consequences of using closed-cell spray foam in areas adjacent to these clip penetrations. On my 2015 crew, I noticed there appears to be a wax like anti-corrosion substance. Would this wax substance act like mold release prohibiting the spray foam from adhering to the inside body panels thus allowing water to migrate between the inside of body panel and spray foam causing corrosion? Especially, in regions where roads are routinely salted? Just asking questions!

Bob
I would not use closed cell foam down there. Use a good hydrophobic insulation like thinsulate
The wax is engineered to be self healing. Who knows what expansion foam will do to the wax, I know it will not stick to the wax. If moisture does gets between the panels and foam it will never dry

D

Deleted member 50714

I would not use closed cell foam down there. Use a good hydrophobic insulation like thinsulate
The wax is engineered to be self healing. Who knows what expansion foam will do to the wax, I know it will not stick to the wax. If moisture does gets between the panels and foam it will never dry
Yes sir, exactly my conclusion. and add salt, body cancer!
I am not sure either what the foam would do. I know it won't stick. Self-healing? Yeah, I can see that. I have used literally, hundreds, if not, thousands of aerosol cans of similar anti-corrosion wax on airliners.

Bob

GSWatson

2013 144
I glued 1" polyiso to my panels using an pro spray foam gun, but I left the bottom 4" or so stuffed with Thinsulate, in case of any water intrusion, to keep the weep holes open. Then did Thinsulate on top of the polyiso. Then Reflectix. Work, but sounds great, and not that much more than straight Thinsulate, better R-value and noise reduction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom