oil light coming on

huskyfrk

just had an oil and filter change. using a factory filter. seems to only happen in left hand turns. level is good any suggestions ???

icarus

Too much oil! Take a siphon pump and remove a cup or so. Pretty common after an oil change. You really don't want to run it over full.

Icarus

sailquik

huskfrk,
You had an oil and oil filter change done where?
MB Dealer/Freightliner Dealer/Dodge Dealer/Indy MB specialty shop/or somewhere else.
What oil did they use?
Have you checked under your hood to ensure that the o'ring that seals your filter housing is not leaking?
Have you pulled the dipstick to ensure that there is plenty of oil in the engine.
Is there a "HI" notification with the oil light?
The "HI" is not a greeting....it is telling you that the shop that did the oil change added too much oil when
refilling your engine oil and it needs to have some drained off to bring the oil level down to the correct level.
Going around LH turns may "slosh" the oil to the side of the sump where the oil level sensor is and that's what
sets the oil level sensor off.
Please ensure that there is plenty of oil in the engine by checking the level with the dipstick. If the oil level shows
right at the top of the scale, when cold, and you have a red dipstick handle, there is too much oil in the engine.
Do check the o'ring on the filter housing.
If it's leaking and your oil level is at all low, call the shop that did the oil change and have them tow you Sprinter
to the shop and effect repairs.
If the level is too high, you can drive to the shop and let them figure out how to get the excess oil they added out
of your engine.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

just had an oil and filter change. Using a factory filter. Seems to only happen in left hand turns. Level is good any suggestions ???
Please avoid places like "IFFY LUBE!" Due to the design of the plastic dipstick, I find it difficult to obtain accurate oil dipstick readings. For example, on each end of the the dipstick scale are protrusions. I believe the intent of the protrusions are to center the scale while in the dipstick tube. However, I find all they accomplish is capturing oil and smearing it along the inside of the dipstick tube while the dipstick is withdrawn. Strangest dipstick design I have ever seen in 50+ years. Oh, and the tranny dipstick is optional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Froggy

FWIW: I usually refill with 12.5 quarts instead of a full 13 quarts because the volume of the oil in the engine expands when it gets hot. If my dipstick shows half way between "add a quart" and "full" when the engine is cold, it will show almost full at operating temp. If the dipstick shows "full" when cold, the oil light will come when the engine is hot and turning left or going down steep hills.

huskfrk,
You had an oil and oil filter change done where?
MB Dealer/Freightliner Dealer/Dodge Dealer/Indy MB specialty shop/or somewhere else.
What oil did they use?
Have you checked under your hood to ensure that the o'ring that seals your filter housing is not leaking?
Have you pulled the dipstick to ensure that there is plenty of oil in the engine.
Is there a "HI" notification with the oil light?
The "HI" is not a greeting....it is telling you that the shop that did the oil change added too much oil when
refilling your engine oil and it needs to have some drained off to bring the oil level down to the correct level.
Going around LH turns may "slosh" the oil to the side of the sump where the oil level sensor is and that's what
sets the oil level sensor off.
Please ensure that there is plenty of oil in the engine by checking the level with the dipstick. If the oil level shows
right at the top of the scale, when cold, and you have a red dipstick handle, there is too much oil in the engine.
Do check the o'ring on the filter housing.
If it's leaking and your oil level is at all low, call the shop that did the oil change and have them tow you Sprinter
to the shop and effect repairs.
If the level is too high, you can drive to the shop and let them figure out how to get the excess oil they added out
of your engine.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Never mind the Oil Light. I'm wondering when my temperature reading will say 83F:lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom