Southco grabber latches, any good?

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
My Airstream Interstate came with that latch on all the drawers and one wardrobe cabinet. They hold OK if adjusted properly. I had one drawer that kept sliding open until I adjusted it.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long

jostalli

I like them the best. I have 3lb for all drawers and overheads and 5lb for two wardrobe doors. I wish there were 1lb and 2lb to get a little hold combined with soft close drawers but they don't make them.

mountainhick

Dave, I've seen your posts about these. They look quite nice. My drawer fronts are 3/4" and the only ones I've found to fit are $15 a pop. That's too much. I found ones for 1/2" drawer face for $9 ea, but I don;t know if they are actually in stock from the seller. "stock available from Canada and China".

Do you think the 1/2" ones would work well with a 1/4" recess counter bored from the front?

And, do you know the mounting hole diameter?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Dave, I've seen your posts about these. They look quite nice. My drawer fronts are 3/4" and the only ones I've found to fit are $15 a pop. That's too much. I found ones for 1/2" drawer face for $9 ea, but I don;t know if they are actually in stock from the seller. "stock available from Canada and China".

Do you think the 1/2" ones would work well with a 1/4" recess counter bored from the front?

And, do you know the mounting hole diameter?
I bought M1-63 from D.B. Roberts for $11.18 each. They are black plastic.

M1 is the style

6 is non-locking

3 is for .475-.675 door thickness

If you wanted white, beige or SS you would add - 1, 7, or 8 to end of part #. No additional info gives you black plastic.

You have 4 choices for door thickness:

1 for .075-.275
2 for .275-.475
3 for .475-.675
4 for .675-.875

Hole size is 2"

These latches work very well. I replaced the pushbutton style latches.

For info see www.southco.com/M1

mountainhick

I bought M1-63 from D.B. Roberts for $11.18 each. They are black plastic.

M1 is the style

6 is non-locking

3 is for .475-.675 door thickness

If you wanted white, beige or SS you would add - 1, 7, or 8 to end of part #. No additional info gives you black plastic.

You have 4 choices for door thickness:

1 for .075-.275
2 for .275-.475
3 for .475-.675
4 for .675-.875

Hole size is 2"

These latches work very well. I replaced the pushbutton style latches.

For info see www.southco.com/M1

Thanks. Just hard to swallow over $100 for 9 latches.

Already deep in the money pit and I don't have a deep well full of dollars.

hein

Van Guru
+1 on the Southco Flush Pull Latches. They are called slam latches because they latch upon closing the drawer/door. The tapered pawl holds the drawer snug against the face reducing rattles. They look especially trick when recessed into the face about .030". Easy one handed low effort opening.

Also take a look at Southco adjustable torque hinges. They are great for supporting upswing overhead doors without need for struts or spring loaded hinge mechanisms. They will hold a door in any position so it won't swing when parked on at a slope.

http://www.southco.com/en-us/e6-at

We had grabber hinges in our Class A. They require more effort to open because you have overcome the force holding it closed. If the catch closes with the drawer open then it doesn't allow the drawer to close. Then you have to pry the catch out causing some of ours to break. They would get out of adjustment from time to time but probably because they were installed with puny screws into wood. There is quite a bit of side force trying to slide them over as they latch.

Last edited:

jostalli

Also take a look at Southco adjustable torque hinges. They are great for supporting upswing overhead doors without need for struts or spring loaded hinge mechanisms. They will hold a door in any position so it won't swing when parked on at a slope.

http://www.southco.com/en-us/e6-at
Maybe they worked for you but these cannot be adjusted for degree of opening and overlay like most cabinet hinges.

Top Bottom