Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

support Sprinter-Source.com
Click here or the banner before shopping at Amazon. A percentage of your purchase goes to support Sprinter-Source.com

Old 08-25-2008, 02:50 AM   #1
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,492 Times in 697 Posts
Default Turbo Resonator Removal and Comparison

I checked my resonator Q number and found out that it was not the updated Q5 version. I purchase the Q5 (05137154AB) from a local dealer for $55 and went about at removing it and comparing the two different Q# resonators.

Tools needed:
-Flat blade screwdriver
-E8 External Torx socket or 1/4 inch open ended wrench.

This picture shows the External Torx Bolts (E8) already taken out.
IMGP0035.JPG
I had the E8 socket, but as you will see later, the 1/4" open ended wrench was better for the job.

Worm Gear Clamp (Looking from the topside, passenger side of engine.)
IMGP0017.JPG

Two External Torx Bolts (E8) that need to be removed. (crawled underneath on passenger side)
IMGP0019.JPG
There was absolutely no room to stick a socket and wrench in the location. I had to improvise with the 1/4" open ended wrench because I didn't want to run out and buy a special tool, nor did I want to take everything apart just to get to two bolts.

After the clamp was loosened and the tube slid away, the two E8 bolts were removed (they weren't on very tight). The last part was to wiggle the resonator downward out of the turbo and then removed from the topside of the engine compartment.

I had the two resonators side by side.
IMGP0036.JPG
Q5 (left) and Q4 (right).

Close up stamping on the Q5 resonator.
IMGP0038.JPG
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sikwan For This Useful Post:
JoeHike (07-16-2009), MikeHowe (12-12-2013)
Old 08-25-2008, 02:51 AM   #2
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Default Re: Resonator Removal and Comparison

Close up of the stamping on the Q4 resonator.
TRQ4RoundSideNote.jpg

20120608Edit: Added notes to pics for failure area. vic

Q5 clamp side of resonator.
TRQ5ClampSideNotes.jpg

Q4 clamp side of resonator.
IMGP0042.JPG

Turbo side of resonator.
IMGP0032.JPG
Q5 (left) and Q4 (right)

I could not tell any visual differences, at least from the outside, and I was looking at them for at least 10 minutes. I installed the Q5 resonator and will be keeping the Q4 as a spare for a trip.

I haven't had any problems with the Q4.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-08-2012 at 12:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sikwan For This Useful Post:
JoeHike (07-16-2009)
Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,838 Posts

Were your shots perfectly aligned?
Other wise there are two differences.
Richard
Q4 L Q5 R.JPG
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
sikwan
06 T1N Can

That's the camera angle causing the difference. Dimensionally they're identical exterior-wise. Of course they have to be.

The only thing "visually" that I can see differently are the vertical ribs (forgot the right term for this)...

...on th Q5 that protrude more from the surface...

...than on the Q4, but this is only a manufacturing process imperfection (less material removed).

No one has posted or mentioned where the crack is actually occuring (or maybe I just missed it ), so either it's a change internally to the resonator or a material recipe change.

I didn't take any pictures of the interior of the resonator. There are perforations through the tube, within body portion, that is very similar to a muffler. The perforations are all in the same positions for Q4 and Q5.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
mobileoilchange

Those parting lines are nothing, its only from the plastic injection mold (the die set). The parting lines DO NOT add strength. In the tool and die world they call those parting lines "casting flash" After the part leaves the mold their would of been a piece of scrap "casting flash" where you see the parting line. this scrap is then cut off and dispose of and sometimes recycled.
IM betting the only diference between the two are the grade of plastic material in which they are made from. the only way to tell for sure on plastic is to have a durometer test done.
mobileoilchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileoilchange View Post
IM betting the only diference between the two are the grade of plastic material in which they are made from. the only way to tell for sure on plastic is to have a durometer test done.
Agreed and thanks for the info.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
KL2BE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwan View Post

No one has posted or mentioned where the crack is actually occuring (or maybe I just missed it ), so either it's a change internally to the resonator or a material recipe change.
GREAT WRITE-UP...AS USUAL!!!!

The leaking has been reported to be form the seam where the end is glued onto the body. (There was a picture posted here once that showed an attempted repair with a series of small screws; couldn't find it though).
I suspect the "fix" has been either a new plastic-weld formula or a larger purchase area inside to allow more glued surface...or both.
A good plastic shop (if there is one in your town) could provide the right weld-solvent for the type of plastic used and with some pieces of the same plastic-type, a leaking resonator could be fixed; I'd weld some pieces on the interior to add greater purchase area and etc.
(would need to have the right weld-solvant and do a good job to prevent a loose piece form entering the engine )
A Dodge tech told me that a leaking resonator will always show itself with a drop or two of oil around the seam. Don't know if that is true, but he ran is finger around the seam to rule out a leaking resonator when I went in with a limp-home problem (600 miles of "limp-home" on the Alaska Highway LAST WINTER ; turned out to be an air filter clogged with dry blowing snow. The tech (in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory) said the snow-clogged filter problem showed up on all their Sprinter sales; they ended up designing an air snorkel modification).
I'm buying a new Q-5 this week before my next AK-Hwy venture in September. With 800 mile stretches of highway between Dealers, it's just too risky to not carry a spare. It just frosts me that MB doesnt provide them free I Love my Sprinter , but don't get me started about MB (I've gotten even by talking a least two friends into buying a Lexus rather than an MB).
KL2BE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
rlent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileoilchange View Post
And I'm betting the only difference is in the formulation of the glue or adhesive that are used to join the two pieces together ......

As I understand it, the failures have occurred at the joint between the main body and the top cap ....... hence the "glue theory" ...........

Opps ....... shoulda read the prior post b4 I pulled the trigger ..........
rlent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlent View Post
As I understand it, the failures have occurred at the joint between the main body and the top cap ....... hence the "glue theory" ...........
Interesting.

Do you know if the breakage meant that it could not be glued (expoxied) back together again?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
mobileoilchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlent View Post
And I'm betting the only difference is in the formulation of the glue or adhesive that are used to join the two pieces together ......

Opps ....... shoulda read the prior post b4 I pulled the trigger ..........
i agree to this also
mobileoilchange is offline   Reply With Quote