Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 06-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #31
downunder

Default Re: PAV Adventure 4x4 Build

DD, keenly following your build.
In #1 you mention 'Crazy World Travel'. Care to elaborate?
My desire is to do what I think is the same, ship a 4x4 to the US and then onto Europe for extended travel at my pace. 'Tour de France' footage and highlights gets me in, Glasseye's photos as well.
You are a big step ahead of me though; you actually have the 4x4. Good one!
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #32
ddunaway

Electrical plan - super basic compared to most

Our needs are pretty minimal. It is going to be all 12 V DC. Any AC needs will just be done with a cigarette plug inverter but I do not expect many. We largely cook outside in summer, spring and fall, so will use a propane camp stove of some sort for cooking all seasons.

There are 2 basic use cases: 1) winter camping with heavy heat use and 2) summer, spring, fall camping.

In the winter, we may be in one spot for 3-4 days at a time without moving at -30C. We may be in one general area w/o much driving for a week. We would be largely out during the day. Not much solar expected. I may even remove the solar panel if I want to use a rocket box (so far up though to roof that this is uncertain).

In the other months, a DC frig would be nice and would comprise most of the load. Solar would keep everything charged.

I am tentatively thinking of 2 more batteries under the chassis for a total of 285 Ahr + 250W solar. In the winter, without the frig the numbers show we should be good but I am not very sure about the Espar power needs. I estimated 20% duty cycle for 16 hrs in boost mode. Also, I made some rough solar estimates from a sailing book but have no real idea if they are realistic....especially with possible snow.

See the attached estimates of power needs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ElectricalNeeds.jpg (45.3 KB, 986 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #33
ddunaway

And now everyone has to have one......

The electrical diagram - super simple

I am trying to keep everything pretty modular, so am trying to keep the heating, electrical, and batteries out of the main compartment. Since I am just doing DC, I think I can just add some fuse bars under the MB fuses beneath the drives seat.

I will start out without the extra batteries and solar initially but add them soon. At the moment, I need to figure out everything that will be covered by my headliner that could go back in soon. This means I need to run the wires out the roof for solar and find any LED puck lights I plan to put in the ceilng (suggestions appreciated).

Any suggestions on type of wire and where to get it? Marine store are pricey but I do not know if the lower or higher quality wire makes any difference for this application.

Take a look at my electrical engineering marvel and please offer suggestions on this too......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ElectricalDiagram and Plan.pdf (212.4 KB, 511 views)

Last edited by ddunaway; 06-19-2015 at 05:28 AM.
ddunaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #34
hein
Mech. Engineer CAD/CNC

Thanked 1,266 Times in 745 Posts

Your diagram is a good layout. It needs to show fuses, switches and more detailed connections to become a schematic.

Go ahead and plan where your lights will go and run 16-18 gauge to those locations. Also run a 10-12 gauge for the ceiling fan. Check loads/ installation manual to verify wire sizes. Since you aren't sure of your battery location you could run those wires along the upper left corner of the roof, down behind the B-pillar to under the driver's seat. Then you can mount your fuse bar in there and connect to the chassis battery for now. Then later when you install house batteries run a larger lead (with a large fuse at the battery) to your fuse bar.

For solar you need to locate your panel to determine the location of the pass through. Penetrate on top of a roof rib so water doesn't pool around the fitting. Seal with Dicor or Sikaflex. I would use at least 8 gauge for the solar connection. That run should be as short as possible to the controller and then to the batteries. So you do really need to decide where the batteries will be located before you install those wires.

Remember that fuses protect the wire so need to be at the battery/voltage source. Hidden spices are generally not recommended. Do not use cheap crimp terminals. Use split loom and grommets to protect wiring. Edge guard on metal edges that have wires passing over. Make sure wiring is well supported with some slack and not kinked or bent. Don't tie wires directly to metal. Insulated (vinyl coated) P-clamps are much better than zip ties.

Last edited by hein; 06-18-2015 at 03:21 PM.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hein For This Useful Post:
BigBlueBuilder (01-24-2017), eatacactus (08-18-2016), gavia (11-08-2015), jlowe2 (01-18-2017), Loni (11-19-2017), mugget (06-26-2015), Redive (08-17-2015), robekilcup (01-22-2017), Roodster (12-11-2015), Scubasteve (02-06-2016), Takayama (08-18-2016)
Old 06-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #35
ddunaway

Hein,
Thanks for all the tips. While I get all the principles, my wiring technique and craftsmanship seemed to need improvement in the speaker project, so everything helps!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #36
hein
Mech. Engineer CAD/CNC

Thanked 1,266 Times in 745 Posts

I released the tray for pricing so will be able to provide the final cost and ETA. I thought you had a 170WB in which case our current trays place the batteries ahead of the rear tires. But you have a 144 so you can drop your solar leads to the drivers seat pedestal by running them down the B-pillar with the other wires for you lights & fan. Then just bring a large lead up from the batteries underneath when you install them. Do you have an idea of your roof layout? Glad you got the speakers installed. How do they sound?

Have you considered SchemeIt to do you schematic?

Last edited by hein; 06-19-2015 at 03:08 PM.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hein For This Useful Post:
Redive (08-17-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #37
ddunaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
I released the tray for pricing so will be able to provide the final cost and ETA. I thought you had a 170WB in which case our current trays place the batteries ahead of the rear tires. But you have a 144 so you can drop your solar leads to the drivers seat pedestal by running them down the B-pillar with the other wires for you lights & fan. Then just bring a large lead up from the batteries underneath when you install them. Do you have an idea of your roof layout? Glad you got the speakers installed. How do they sound?

Have you considered SchemeIt to do you schematic?
SchemeIt looks pretty useful.....I'll pursue the layout in that.

The speakers sound about 20X better than the factory system.....perhaps as good as my factory 7 speaker system in the Honda Element. I am glad that I went with a simple speaker upgrade to start.

Cool you are making progress on the tray. Curious to hear cost and ETA. I was worried about clearance but since it does not protrude lower than the fuel tank it seems fine. I was starting to get excited about building a lithium battery and putting it inside (briefly) but I have enough to do at this point without complicating the electronics. Plus, utilizing the extra space below seems better...even if my immediate plans do not really take advantage of the water tank (would likely just get it anyway as long as economics are reasonable). Take a look at where I mounted the fuel pump for the Espar......near the tank fill tube (see pictures). I do not think it will interfere with the tray but worth asking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8741.JPG (88.6 KB, 1043 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8742.JPG (90.9 KB, 900 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8743.JPG (104.6 KB, 835 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8744.JPG (106.7 KB, 831 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8745.JPG (101.5 KB, 830 views)
iRoehl (11-27-2016)
Old 06-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #38
ddunaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
DD, keenly following your build.
In #1 you mention 'Crazy World Travel'. Care to elaborate?
My desire is to do what I think is the same, ship a 4x4 to the US and then onto Europe for extended travel at my pace. 'Tour de France' footage and highlights gets me in, Glasseye's photos as well.
You are a big step ahead of me though; you actually have the 4x4. Good one!
downunder,
I do not have any particular plans at the moment. I have a job that is very interesting and engaging and generally cannot escape for long enough to make it worthwhile to ship the Sprinter now. However, it is a pretty volatile industry, so things can change pretty fast. Certainly, on the next natural break.

I have done quite a bit of travel all over South America in the past and lived there too. One trip involved driving around Chile and Argentina (in a rented car) skiing volcanos. It would be awesome to do more of this in the Sprinter once it is dialed in. Good skiing in Alaska, New Zealand and Japan as well as Europe too. Probably not just skiing though....other activities too. We have the skiing so dialed in here (Washington and British Columbia) it is hard to get the same level of experience popping in to other locales. I find it is usually best to explore completely divergent activities in other places......usually more memorable in the end. My Sprinter is a tan color......it would fit in on desert trips in the Outback or Africa!!!!!

Last edited by ddunaway; 06-20-2015 at 10:28 PM.
ddunaway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddunaway For This Useful Post:
downunder (06-21-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #39
ddunaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
Do you have an idea of your roof layout?
Roof Layout and skis

I have a the Maxair fan installed directly on the bump-out toward the front. The current plan is to have 2 Renology 100W solar panels (47"x21"x1.4") side by side in back. This way I could remove one and mount a rocket box in the winter to get the skis outside. I'll try with the skis inside in some manner but it is really less than ideal to have skis inside.

I have yet to figure out the attachment rack system for the solar panels and rocket box. My current box is on the large side. Maybe a smaller rear opener would be better. The box also clamps at @ 41" max between supports, so not totally straightforward to mount next to the panel.

Maybe I just to build a "nuggen". It is an upright ski box on back. I have seen this guy twice at Rogers Pass. He built a coffin shaped box and mounted it on his 2" trailer hitch then again on his spare tire holder. It was made metal and wood and held 4 sets of skis. Only one of his rear doors could open.

For the short term, maybe I just mount the panels and see how it goes.....
Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #40
LooseRocks

Trailer hitch ski rack? Probably the same price as a ladder for your van. Boots will still have to go inside but it'll be better than climbing up the side of the van.

Something like this:
http://www.rackwarehouse.com/inno-in...snowboard.html
LooseRocks is offline   Reply With Quote