Side marker lights?

optik1

I have a (US) 2003 Freightliner long and tall cargo. It had holes for marker lights, 2 on each side, but nothing installed in the holes when I bought it. I ordered 4 factory replacements from Europarts. Today I tried to install them, and couldn't find the wiring harness/plugs for any of them. After some extensive searching, I'm not sure they exist. Did someone remove them? Were they only reflectors originally? Kinda confused here... I did some searching but I could really only find talk of people installing aftermarket lights. If it is supposed to have the wiring, where does it come from?

MikeP

Hi, We have 03 Dodge Passenger Model. If your talking about side markers with bowed out lens on each side front above wheel wells?
Ours has yellow lights, to me looks like the skinny Christmas size lights. Found where someone knocked one of our bowed clear lens cover off landing on ground a few feet away. Hence knocked off cause doubt it traveled over crub and into drainage ditch by it's self. Anyway, it popped back on without a problem and I tried to pull, wiggle it and would not move so thought good to go.
Yesterday, wheile unloading groceries from side door noticed cover missing again and could not find it this time.
But back o yours. Ours has yellow bulbs and is wired to work.
I guess I'll check E-bay for new one.
BTW: Anyone know if these need some type adhesive to keep on or just normal pop on off? I did not notice any tabs or slots on our lens or hard plastic it fit over on van.
"Thanks!" for any info on this.

optik1

I'm talking about the flat rectangular yellow lights mounted low on the sides of the cargo area, not the side-mount turn signal that you're talking about. I've never really played with those so I'm not sure how they mount, sorry. Guessing off the top of my head, it could be a sealed light module and you change the bulb from the rear, and the glue has come off between the lens and the back plastic shell of the module.

sailquik

optik1,
Send me your VIN # and I'll do a search for the OEM lights and wiring that may (or may not) have been installed
when your Sprinter was built in Germany.
If you would like your complete OEM Sprinter Build Data card, send my an email on the Sprinter Source link at the top of the page
including a valid email address so I can send the Data Card back to you as a .PDF file.
Roger

optik1

I realized you already sent me a datacard, so I just emailed you back since I'm not sure what I'm looking for on there regarding side lights.

Thanks!

optik1

Hi, We have 03 Dodge Passenger Model. If your talking about side markers with bowed out lens on each side front above wheel wells?
Ours has yellow lights, to me looks like the skinny Christmas size lights. Found where someone knocked one of our bowed clear lens cover off landing on ground a few feet away. Hence knocked off cause doubt it traveled over crub and into drainage ditch by it's self. Anyway, it popped back on without a problem and I tried to pull, wiggle it and would not move so thought good to go.
Yesterday, wheile unloading groceries from side door noticed cover missing again and could not find it this time.
But back o yours. Ours has yellow bulbs and is wired to work.
I guess I'll check E-bay for new one.
BTW: Anyone know if these need some type adhesive to keep on or just normal pop on off? I did not notice any tabs or slots on our lens or hard plastic it fit over on van.
"Thanks!" for any info on this.

So, funny story: My buddy bumped one of my little front quarter panel mounted turn signal lights (like what you're talking about) and made it come half off. Upon further inspection I noticed that both were loose, so I removed them both to reinstall using silicone sealant. Both same off easily in my hand, but I'm 99.9% sure they are meant to be glued on permanently and the bulb should be changed from the rear. Silicone sealant is probably not 100% the correct material, but relatively forgiving and something I had on hand.

Umnak

I'm Confused.

The owner's manual for our 2006 Sprinter 2500 shows the side turn signal lights (above the front wheel) as have a full housing where removing the plastic cover allows for changing the light. Video of the same on Utube shows pinching the housing and removing it as well. I just pulled the plastic housing off and there is no way to remove the bulb! I can see access to the bulb from inside the engine compartment. Oh, I super glued the housing back on.

Any thoughts on why the housing is different from the owners manual?

Top Bottom