400 000KM LWB sprinter

shaunmicic

I just got donated a 2003 sprinter with 400 000km on it. It runs quite well at the moment but I dont want to take any chances. I am a plumber by trade and this is a massive upgrade from the old e150 I had before this. What kind on preventive maintenance should I do to this truck? I want to replace all the sensor that seem to give people on the forums trouble and anything else that could go wrong. I thank you for the help!

Eric Experience

Shaun.
Just do the normal servicing. There are plenty still working with those sort of k's. No point in changing any thing. Eric.

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
400000 km is approximately 250000 miles. My 2002 Sprinter has 225000 miles and I drive it every day. You should be able to get another 200000 km without too much trouble (with general maintenance)

I change the oil every 16,000 km and a fuel filter every other oil change. I need to change my rear diff oil and I changed the trans fluid last summer. Also need all new rotors and pads last summer. This summer I will replace all the parking brake parts and get that working again.

with any luck I can catch up on lots of little things before they start falling off :laughing:

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
My advice,

Don't spend anything on unnecessary parts - buy a compatible code reader (AUTEL).

The old adage - don't fix what isn't broken is the best policy for vehicles of this mileage.

Oil, filters, brakes and belts, anything else just wait for the problem to show itself (if it ever decides to) then read it with your code reader and fix it without fuss. A good visual inspection every now and then of hoses and general stuff will pay dividends.

You can get a AUTEL Maxidiag reader for about the price of a dealer priced vac boost valve and a few unnecessary sensors. ;)

All the best
Steve

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
My '03 is at 394km. Sensors can go wrong at almost any time. I keep basic spares on hand... Glowplugs, an injector, injector seals and bolts, and cam and crank sensors. I also have my own star diag setup.

Since you are saying km im guessing yours doesnt have the nasty egr and cats that the american sprinters are afflicted with.in which case you are good to go for another 400km (except if its sprintshift)

fwaggle

My '03 is at 394km. Sensors can go wrong at almost any time. I keep basic spares on hand... Glowplugs, an injector, injector seals and bolts, and cam and crank sensors. I also have my own star diag setup.

Since you are saying km im guessing yours doesnt have the nasty egr and cats that the american sprinters are afflicted with.in which case you are good to go for another 400km (except if its sprintshift)
I'm in the same boat, in the same state, I also carry a star diag everywhere, and my van is almost as many KMs (2003, 377k KM). I'm wondering why you bother carrying glow plugs though, my van's gone over 200,000KM with only one functional glow plug.

What's wrong with the sprintshift though? The autos seem to be the ones that **** the bed in my experience.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I keep the spares at home. I carry mb star though. The autos are good if maintained well. They will outlast the van. Sprintshift is a complicated system with lots of minor things that can strand you, and also has expensive wear parts that need to be replaced.

Top Bottom