Bench seat - making a 3-seater into a 2-seater

Onefin

I cannot believe I missed you, coguzzi. I am hitting my head against a wall. The months before you started posting on the forum, I was searching how to get this done in Boulder. Even thinking I could drive to OH to the OP! Haha....and I circulate back to this discussion and you're gone!!! Whyyyyyy.....!
I was kicking myself for not getting this done when Coguzzi was in Colorado.
Made a bunch of calls in neighboring states to find someone that offered the service.
Low and behold.....a Coguzzi modified seat showed located in Denver showed up in this very forum’s classified section.......a long day driving and a great seller and that thing was in my van!

Keep an eye out on this forum, the Facebook sprinter groups, and CL.

The quality of the Coguzzi seat I bought is excellent. The small seam in back is the only noticeable alteration, and you’d have to be looking with a critical eye and have spent too much time in the past looking at the rear of a black plastic bench seat!

PM me for leads on a couple options in SLC that offer this service if you can’t organize shipping with Coguzzi or take that road trip to Paul in SD.

sprinterPaul

Hi Paul

Any additional details

I can cut a 3 seater down to a 2 seater. The only thing that will show is the seam on the plastic cover in back. The upholstery will look like factory.

Feel free to PM if you need more information.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coguzzi

im still around, just spending 15 hours a day, 7 days a week physically building new shop in quebec city. most of my equipment is still in crates, probably at least 2 months before i can set up my sewing machines. welders are good to go since i had to do some structure welding. maybe need to change my handle to QCguzzi-ha

gardenerbob

I wish I could drive up there. I remember Quebec City as a beautiful place with great restaurants. I stayed at a small auberge who's name I have fogotten.
Good Luck and let me know when you are up and running.
Bob

Just a quick thanks to those who posted on the seat modification, especially JJolls. His directions are spot on!!! Our van was just updated from a studio apartment to a 1 bedroom, amazing how much more room there is.

Thanks again to all who post such helpful info on here.

sprinterPaul

Paul, will you post some pics of the welding and process you are using? I'm planning to head down once I get my van back in the state. Are you using TIG with internal sleeves?

Thanks!

Mig. Internal sleeve in the main bar in front just like factory.

Wheeljack

To any of those that have converted to 2 person bench, does anyone know how much space there is from the drivers side van wall to the side of the seat if it is positioned on the spot closer to the sliding door? I suspect it is right around 21.5", based on some quick measurements and visual clues from some of the photos posted in this thread. I have had to do some design changes to my galley with my new dometic and may convert my seat to accommodate. But I need to know how deep I can make the galley to make sure the dometic cfx 50w will fit.

JJolls

'14 170 4cyl Crew
Wheeljack: If you moved the 2-seater to the right-hand position, you would have 22 inches between the left-hand edge of the seat to the sidewall. If there is an armrest on the driver side of the seat, you would have 20 inches from it to the sidewall. Armrest is 2 inches thick! The armrest could be removed to pick up the two inches.

-Jolls

Wheeljack

Wheeljack: If you moved the 2-seater to the right-hand position, you would have 22 inches between the left-hand edge of the seat to the sidewall. If there is an armrest on the driver side of the seat, you would have 20 inches from it to the sidewall. Armrest is 2 inches thick! The armrest could be removed to pick up the two inches.

-Jolls
Thanks so much for that! I did think about the armrest but forgot to mention it, so thanks for including that detail also. I think that will work just about perfect to get me out of a jam with the location for my fridge. I wanted to put it in a slide in front of my bench, which is in the 2.5 position, but it is a little to tight. I think I will just mount it roughly where the VW California puts the fridge and the galley overall will be similar...

Attachments

Last edited:

daveness

Has anyone cut a 4 person bench down to a 2 person bench to put into the two tracks closest to the slider, to make room for the galley cabinets as Wheeljack was describing? I think this might give you more space for the galley cabinet. It’s hard to fit it all in a 144”. @sprinterPaul, I’m in San Diego, have you done this? I measured a three person bench today and thought there might only be 18” from armrest to driver side wall. I see @jjolls measures 20”, that’s close to what would be ideal.

sprinterPaul

Has anyone cut a 4 person bench down to a 2 person bench to put into the two tracks closest to the slider, to make room for the galley cabinets as Wheeljack was describing? I think this might give you more space for the galley cabinet. It’s hard to fit it all in a 144”. @sprinterPaul, I’m in San Diego, have you done this? I measured a three person bench today and thought there might only be 18” from armrest to driver side wall. I see @jjolls measures 20”, that’s close to what would be ideal.

I haven't cut down a four seater. I have heard of people doing it. But spacing is likely off and would require a lot more fab/work.

Just wrapped up this 3 > 2 seater.

Top Bottom