Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
pedalingnowhere

Default I made this camper van electrical diagram, but I desperately need help!

OK, I am new here. Just got a 2012 144" and we are on a bit of a time crunch with our conversion. I have spent endless days here trying to school myself in electric systems, but I'm still clueless. Here is the diagram I drew up, but I need to make sure nothing is off or missing. Here are a few questions relative questions I have:

1. Can I put one battery under driver's seat and one under passenger and link them together?
2. Are all of the positive runs with 4 gauge wire?
3. Should there be an additional switch to turn the whole system off when the van is parked for an extended period of time?
4. Am I missing any fuzes? A support guy at Blue Sea said I don't need one with the ML 500, but most other systems I have studied have a fuze between the starter battery and the ACR.
5. Is this way off??

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Last edited by pedalingnowhere; 11-06-2014 at 06:54 PM.
pedalingnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,216 Posts
Default Re: I made this camper van electrical diagram, but I desperately need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalingnowhere View Post
OK, I am new here. Just got a 2012 144" and we are on a bit of a time crunch with our conversion. I have spent endless days here trying to school myself in electric systems, but I'm still clueless. Here is the diagram I drew up, but I need to make sure nothing is off or missing. Here are a few questions relative questions I have:

1. Can I put one battery under driver's seat and one under passenger and link them together?
Yes for passenger seat, no for the driver seat. You could consider one battery Ė see Dave Orton DIY or one under the hood and one in the passenger seat base
Quote:
2. Are all of the positive runs with 4 gauge wire?
No, 1000W inverter (85 A) requires #2 or #1 or even 1/0 for long distance

Quote:
3. Should there be an additional switch to turn the whole system off when the van is parked for an extended period of time?
It is a common practice
Quote:
4. Am I missing any fuzes? A support guy at Blue Sea said I don't need one with the ML 500, but most other systems I have studied have a fuze between the starter battery and the ACR.
5. Is this way off??
You have no fuses nor circuit breakers and you certainly need them. You have no AC ground connection. I suggest to identify current flow on each cable and size wires and fuses or CBs accordingly.

Electrical installations are often sources of fires by undersized wires, bad connections, lack of fuses in right places. If safety is your concern perhaps hiring an expert would help.

George.
pedalingnowhere (11-07-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
pfflyer

Thanked 1,126 Times in 895 Posts
Default Re: I made this camper van electrical diagram, but I desperately need help!

Welcome. I don't think you are going to fit a battery under the drivers seat. Xantrex I think calls for a fuse close to the battery.
2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Class C on 2015 Sprinter chassis
pfflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
pedalingnowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Yes for passenger seat, no for the driver seat. You could consider one battery – see Dave Orton DIY or one under the hood and one in the passenger seat base

No, 1000W inverter (85 A) requires #2 or #1 or even 1/0 for long distance

It is a common practice

You have no fuses nor circuit breakers and you certainly need them. You have no AC ground connection. I suggest to identify current flow on each cable and size wires and fuses or CBs accordingly.

Electrical installations are often sources of fires by undersized wires, bad connections, lack of fuses in right places. If safety is your concern perhaps hiring an expert would help.

George.
Another cause of fires... people who don't know what they are doing. I think an expert is definitely in order... I am even more confused now. Anybody know someone who can do something like this in North carolina? Or better yet, is there anybody here who would want to make a few bucks to design the system with specifics. I am pretty handy and I think I could install it, I am just a dummy when it comes to the engineering side of it.

Last edited by pedalingnowhere; 11-07-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:06 AM   #5
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

I would suggest to define your objectives for electrical system first, for example:

- 2 days on batteries only
- Solar charge capable to replace daily consumption in one day
- DC appliances and gadgets
- AC appliances and gadgets
- Will you need shore power?
- Why 1000W inverter? If inverter is only for PC or TV a 300W unit is much simpler and less expensive.

Even if you want to hire someone you still need your objectives well defined. If your system is simple enough with help of this forum you can do it yourself.

George.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #6
pedalingnowhere

Quote:
I would suggest to define your objectives for electrical system first, for example:

- 2 days on batteries only
- Solar charge capable to replace daily consumption in one day
- DC appliances and gadgets
- AC appliances and gadgets
- Will you need shore power?
- Why 1000W inverter? If inverter is only for PC or TV a 300W unit is much simpler and less expensive.

Even if you want to hire someone you still need your objectives well defined. If your system is simple enough with help of this forum you can do it yourself.

George.
Thanks George. I kind of did that in my head and have based the batteries and solar panel size on comparing it to other folks' uses and systems. I don't think we will need shore power although I would like to have an option to add it if necessary, unless this is a simple task. It is hard to say, but I think 2 or 3 days on battery, max. However, I think you are right about the inverter. Here is how it breaks down:

DC
- Vent fan (maxxifan)
- LED lights (probably 6 dome lights, maybe a couple more)
- USB charging (iPad, phone)
- Fridge (small 37q ARB)
- Espar D2 heater (eventually)

AC
- Charging a laptop quite a bit (I am a graphic designer/photographer and use it a lot)
- Fan at night more than likely (may be able to get a DC fan)
- Charging camera batteries (once per week maybe)
- Computer monitor and connected hard drives, etc (maybe 1 or 2 hours per day on average)
Old 11-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #7
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Good list, it is good to document it on paper.

DC
- Vent fan (maxxifan)
0.2-4A, 18 AWG wire, 10A fuse.
- LED lights (probably 6 dome lights, maybe a couple more) I have total of 10 lamps taking 3.6A Ė too bright emphasizing wrinkles, 2A should be OK, 20 AWG, 5A fuse.
- USB charging (iPad, phone) 2 USBs, 1A, 20 AWG wires, 3A fuse https://www.bluesea.com/products/101...Charger_Socket
- Fridge (small 37q ARB), running current 2.5A, 14 AWG (due to starting current) for 12VDC, fuse 10A
- Espar D2 heater (eventually) - running about 2-4A more with glow plugs on, 10AWG, 15A fuse.

AC
- Charging a laptop quite a bit (I am a graphic designer/photographer and use it a lot)
120W
- Fan at night more than likely (may be able to get a DC fan) - what is wrong with Maxxfun and appropriate opening to get focused cooling air in?
- Charging camera batteries (once per week maybe) 25W
- Computer monitor and connected hard drives, etc (maybe 1 or 2 hours per day on average) 100W

I donít think you need 1000W inverter, would suggest Mornigstar 300W which has a very low idle current. Later tomorrow I can help you sizing batteries and appropriate charger unless someone chimes in.

If you plan to camp with shore power available I would suggest incorporate it with the design.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
tgregg

Quote:
Anybody know someone who can do something like this in North Carolina?
Robert Morehead Design just south of Asheville

http://www.moreheaddesignlab.com/
tgregg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
pedalingnowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgregg View Post
Robert Morehead Design just south of Asheville

http://www.moreheaddesignlab.com/
Thanks Tgregg. Unfortunately, that's about 6 hours away (I am in the far east part of the state... but thanks for the suggestion...
Old 11-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
pedalingnowhere

Quote:
Good list, it is good to document it on paper.

I donít think you need 1000W inverter, would suggest Mornigstar 300W which has a very low idle current. Later tomorrow I can help you sizing batteries and appropriate charger unless someone chimes in.

If you plan to camp with shore power available I would suggest incorporate it with the design.
Thanks GeorgeRa. I also sourced a 600w inverter (incase we were ever to use a low watt toaster or something). Also, here is an updated drawing, but I am still clueless. I attached a PDF below as well...

electric-diagram.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to pedalingnowhere For This Useful Post:
Valley Center (01-31-2016)