Hose going into rear brakes/backing plate?

cloead

Was poking around under my 04 Sprinter last night..

I should of taken a picture but I have what looks like a pair of rubber hoses running along my e-brake cables that split, and one goes each side of the rear axle. On the one side it looks like something had been leaking for a very long time, lots of sludge build up on the bottom of the caliper backing plate.

Any ideas?

Was poking around under my 04 Sprinter last night..

I should of taken a picture but I have what looks like a pair of rubber hoses running along my e-brake cables that split, and one goes each side of the rear axle. On the one side it looks like something had been leaking for a very long time, lots of sludge build up on the bottom of the caliper backing plate.

Any ideas?
Sounds like your hoses are the wires (cables) for the wheel speed sensors. Rear axle seal leaking can cause oil seeping which gathers dust to look like sludge.

Vic

cloead

Sounds like your hoses are the wires (cables) for the wheel speed sensors. Rear axle seal leaking can cause oil seeping which gathers dust to look like sludge.

Vic
I'm assuming replacing the rear axle seals is no fun at all?

I pulled the fill hole off the diff cover and I still have fluid pretty much up to the bottom of the hole. Do they run the wires for the rear wheel sensors inside a hose-looking-thing?

Not really that bad on my 2500 single rear wheel axle.

The speed sensor and cable is shown looped (tied?) in picture #2 in this post. Right near the red "2" Pipe" text. The 2 conductor outer cable sheath is quite heavy. I suppose it could look like a hose.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=260638#post260638

I cut and re-spliced my speed sensor cable because the sensor was hopelessly seized in the housing. I blame the Western New York winter salted roads.

vic

Last edited:

cloead

Not really that bad on my 2500 single rear wheel axle.

The speed sensor and cable is shown looped (tied?) in picture #2 in this post. Right near the red "2" Pipe" text. The 2 conductor outer cable sheath is quite heavy. I suppose it could look like a hose.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=260638#post260638

I cut and re-spliced my speed sensor cable because the sensor was hopelessly seized in the housing. I blame the Western New York winter salted roads.

vic
Ahh yes that would be it.

I'm a 2500 SRW as well. Disassembly looks easy enough but I'm not sure what's going on when you start going crazy with the threaded rod. I have a 20 ton press in my garage but not any flat stock laying around. Might tackle it in the spring.. or call around and see how much it would cost to get it replaced ;P

Ahh yes that would be it.

I'm a 2500 SRW as well. Disassembly looks easy enough but I'm not sure what's going on when you start going crazy with the threaded rod. I have a 20 ton press in my garage but not any flat stock laying around. Might tackle it in the spring.. or call around and see how much it would cost to get it replaced ;P
The threaded rods were just used because I didn't have a press. You have a press, but no flat stock or pieces of angle? We should get together. I've lots of stock, but no press.

Seriously though. Although it is a basic job, be certain that whoever you check with has the special tools to do the Mercedes axle bearings. I got stuck doing it myself because the shop told me they could do mine... until they wouldn't.

Mine's been ok for almost a year now, so I guess my barnyard methods worked. (knock, touch wood)

Good luck. vic

cloead

The threaded rods were just used because I didn't have a press. You have a press, but no flat stock or pieces of angle? We should get together. I've lots of stock, but no press.

Seriously though. Although it is a basic job, be certain that whoever you check with has the special tools to do the Mercedes axle bearings. I got stuck doing it myself because the shop told me they could do mine... until they wouldn't.

Mine's been ok for almost a year now, so I guess my barnyard methods worked. (knock, touch wood)

Good luck. vic

It's a HF press.. but as much as I use it so far it's been holding up. I'll probably end up doing it myself. I always say I'm going to take my crap to a mechanic but then almost laugh at the pricing.

Thanks again.. one day. Maybe when I can park the van inside.

Top Bottom