Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,026 Times in 8,275 Posts
Default Stoopid things I shoulds known!!

20100420 Edit.

When I started this thread I didn't know how it would play out. The first few pages meander a bit. After that we got more organized. I created a Stoopid Things - condensed post in Write-ups which lists one line descriptions of what the posts contain to make reference a bit easier, but sometime later I lost interest. The "Search This Thread" above probably works better anyway.

The Stoopid Things - condensed link is here:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8285

An unabashed advertisement. If you find the style of the above thread helpful I have some others.

Cheap Tricks
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4827

Used Sprinter Buying Tips
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5174

Tips for New to Sprinter Owners
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23409

Check Engine Light DTC MIL Codes List
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5369

Limp Home Mode comments
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7173

Trailer Wiring OEM Harness vs. Light Module
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7328

Tools - Quality, Special, Dodge, MB, Mercedes, Hose Clamp
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10485
20170727 Edit:Add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!!It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
In the Blue bar above click "Quick Links".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type in at least your Sprinter MY (Model Year) and 2500 or 3500.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.
Whatever you enter will be displayed at the bottom of your member icon.

The other place is in your "Signature".
In the Blue bar above click "Quick Links".
Select "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in at least your Sprinter MY (Model Year) and 2500 or 3500.
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.
Whatever you enter will be displayed at the bottom of every one of your posts.
(If signatures don't display go back to "Quick Links" and "Edit Options" to allow signature display.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
This is definitely not a Stoopid Thing. Everyone should remember this, and keep a copy of the number somewhere in their Sprinter. I have it written in grease pencil on the underside of my hood.

"Call my Sprinter Hot Line 864-623-9110. Doktor A".

864 623-9110 and an address of 500 RC Edwards School Rd. Central SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by abittenbinder View Post
We have left Pittsburgh behind and are finally fully settled in our new digs just west of Greenville, South Carolina. That's south of Asheville, NC and just off I-85 midway between Atlanta and Charlotte.

The Sprinter Hot Line phone number is now 864-623-9110.
Andy Bittenbinder (abittenbinder here on Sprinter-source) has been a great contributor to Sprinter-source and also is a moderator at Yahoo Sprintervan. He is located in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania South Carolina area which is the Southeast USA/North American Eastern Time Zone. If you own a Sprinter and you didn't have this information up to now, I know this does some good. AP/vic

2010/05/31 edit
In sprintervan@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Wingert" adds,
"have a pad of paper handy when you call him"

That is a great comment because you won't be able to remember all Andy will tell you. vic

The original meandering Stoopid Things thread starts here:

Post #1

So I've owned my 2004 2500 140 WB low top standard roof for about a month now. 170,00 miles. Been running great. Love the space, visibility, fuel economy, comfort. Been reading the manual, been on the forums for info. I have the excuse that I haven't been driving it often because I still own my other Dodge van........,but how could I miss this? I've been running at night with the lights that are always on (DRL Daytime Running Lights). The other night I tried the high beams. They didn't work if I pushed the stick forward, but the "European flash" pull back worked perfectly so bulbs are good. It had just passed inspection. OK. I was only doing 30 mph. Maybe it's tied to speed???? Today I'm doing 60 mph. Try high beams, no go. Try flash works great.

Go to dinner, have appropriate cocktails. On the way home try high beams....nothing. Start screwing around with stalk. Twist end......Holy CRAP!!! There are lights on the dash for the heat.....shifter.....everything!!!! One twist more.....the high beams work too!!!!! So how many other things am I missing?????

Please post any stupid little things here for the next used Sprinter newbie. Thanks in advance. vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 12-02-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
bromo911 (05-24-2012), Changingfields (12-02-2018), DesertAdventures (10-28-2017), NetDoc (09-28-2013)
Old 05-02-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
tegimr
2003 Pass 140 289000 mile

Default Re: Stoopid things I shoulds known!!

Yes, 10. 10 is company, 11 is a crowd.
Understand binary, but not headlights.
This may help - for the high beams to work, your headlights need to be ON on the switch, not just on as in automatically on when you start your Sprinter. No matter how fast you are going.

Tim
Lights are binary, life is not.

Last edited by tegimr; 05-02-2008 at 04:01 AM.
tegimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegimr View Post
Yes, 10. 10 is company, 11 is a crowd.
Understand binary, but not headlights.
This may help - for the high beams to work, your headlights need to be ON on the switch, not just on as in automatically on when you start your Sprinter. No matter how fast you are going.

Tim
Lights are binary, life is not.
Yep. Thanks. I figured out the lights on thing tonight. What other tricks might there be?

Another thing I learned yesterday is that the Hidden Hitch trailer hitch fits with my stock Sprinter step bumper.......almost. The bottom of my step bumper bracket stopped me from getting the hitch bolts to line up with the frame holes. I saw 10 (two) solutions: Loosen all the step bumper attachment bolts and try to reposition the bumper, or grind off the offending 1/8" of bumper bracket. I chose the latter as the path of least resistance. My newbie advice is to not start a hitch installation without a grinder handy.
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Old 05-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Default Re: Stoopid things I shoulda known!!

2004 140 WB Low Standard Roof Cargo. I popped the tail light lamp assemblies off to begin wiring a Modulite relay unit for my trailer. Didn't get to install that because of rain, but learned some things. Someone had installed #1156 lamps (12V 21Watt) in each lower tail light unit. DC uses galvanized steel tracers to route the power on the light unit. I traced the traces and found a small jumper to the lowest lamp which makes it common with the tail light on the top stop/tail lamp. Having a 21 watt lamp in that position would make it look like the brakes were on instead of just tail lights. My 2004 manual doesn't give lamp numbers for replacement. The parts guy at the corner tried to sell me 21 Watt lamps again and was very insistent even though he was very (completely) wrong.

Here's what I recommend for a NAS aka NAFTA T1N:
Top Lamp = Brake/Tail = 1157LL 12V 21W/5W)
2nd down = Backup = 1156LL (12V 21W)
3rd Down = Turn = 1156LL (12V 21W)
Bottom Lamp = Tail = 5007LL (12V 5W) - Do not use more watts or it will appear that the brake lights are on.

License Plate Lamps = 6418LL (13.5V 5 W)
Note: The same lamp type for the license plate comes in 10 watt and even 20 watt versions. There is no place for the lamp heat to escape in your rear door. I strongly recommend using the 5 watt lamp I specify to keep the heating problem to a minimum. Better yet is an LED replacement. My LED experience wasn't so great. Although maybe it is ok for other people.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...850#post390850

Wiring I found:
Tail/Park: L = Gray/Blk, R = Gray/Red
Stop: L = Blk/Red, R = Blk/Red
Backup: L = Wht/Red, R = Wht/Red
Turn: L = Blk/Wht, R = Blk/Grn

Hope this saves someone some time if they need lamps or wire colors.

P.S. - Low Beam Headlamp = H7 55 watt, 65 watt, or 100 watt. I use CEC Industries H7 55w LL long life.

20100412 Edit: Below is a link that discusses trailer wiring options OEM vs aftermarket modules. Adding trailer wiring to a Sprinter is not a straight-forward process. If you have it installed, don't let 'em do whatever they want!!

Trailer Wiring OEM Harness vs. Light Module
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...trailer+wiring

042TailLightAssemblyNotes.jpg

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 01-07-2017 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Blk/Red
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
DesertAdventures (10-28-2017), HoHum (06-04-2013), howdoidothis (11-08-2016), PortlandSprinterConnection (12-14-2018), Taylorpagerobinson (01-05-2017)
Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

So I tried this on the Yahoo forum. I guess I'm being shunned there. No worries, I'll try here.
Re: positional leak?

Dumb question time. My used 2004 140 2500 has what appears to be straw colored tranny oil. Are there DC or Mercedes recommended transmission fluids that are not red in color, or did someone fill mine with the wrong juice?
Anyone here have any info on NAG1 transmission oil colors?

2010/02/07 Edit:
The OEM transmission oil will lose its red color as time goes on. In fact the red color may go away fairly quickly from the Crossfire/Sprinter Dodge fluid. So it turns out color is not necessarily a good measure for the age of the fluid (as Jon suggested).

This links to another more recent thread about the NAG1 transmission:
Rumble Strip Noise Transmission Drive Train Shudder
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5027

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 04-19-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,932 Posts

Quote:
So I tried this on the Yahoo forum. I guess I'm being shunned there. No worries, I'll try here.
Re: positional leak?

Dumb question time. My used 2004 140 2500 has what appears to be straw colored tranny oil. Are there DC or Mercedes recommended transmission fluids that are not red in color, or did someone fill mine with the wrong juice?
Anyone here have any info on NAG1 transmission oil colors?

I think one of the last properties of fluid I'd use to evaluate that it's "within spec," is the color.

If I were in your position, I'd ask the person who performed the last transmission service to name fluid used.

Then I'd pick up a bottle, verify it's within spec MB 236.10 (or whatever is in the owners manual) and look at the color.

Even then, unless you do it, you don't know for a fact they used the correct fluid. At some point you just have to trust your service provider or do it yourself. The color of a fluid is just that: the color, not an assurance of proper substance.

-Jon
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanks for the reply and good advice. No real records or contact on my used Sprinter.

I plan to drain the pan/converter, change the filter, install a new connector/o-rings, and fill with Dodge Sprinter/Crossfire fluid in the near future. I guess what I really wanted to know is if any DC listed fluid is straw color and not red. If straw colored isn't a possibility it will accelerate my transmission service schedule. Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Bris (03-24-2012)
Old 05-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,932 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and good advice. No real records or contact on my used Sprinter.

I plan to drain the pan/converter, change the filter, install a new connector/o-rings, and fill with Dodge Sprinter/Crossfire fluid in the near future. I guess what I really wanted to know is if any DC listed fluid is straw color and not red. If straw colored isn't a possibility it will accelerate my transmission service schedule. Thanks again.
I'd err on the side of caution and replace the fluid ASAP along with the engine oil and fuel and oil filters. Then you start from a known good fluid status.

-Jon
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdcaples For This Useful Post:
aquaman (02-08-2010)
Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,787 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
I guess what I really wanted to know is if any DC listed fluid is straw color and not red. If straw colored isn't a possibility it will accelerate my transmission service schedule. Thanks again.
According to this thread...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...d+clear&page=2

...the clear or straw color is a possibility. Although the OEM fluid that I used to top of the transmission was red...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626

Also, I flushed my tranny and the fluid was red...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2557

... I don't think one bottle would turn everything red.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

JD,
Engine oil/filter..... Check. Fuel filter...... Check. Transmission......fixin' to get to it. Again, good advice thanks.

Sikwan,
Thanks for your, as always, detailed, informative post. (How DO you get all those great pictures???? The lens of my camera would be covered with whatever fluids I was dealing with.) As to the one bottle of red color not doing much, Joe McCarthy showed in the hearings......it doesn't take much red to go a long way. Seriously, in oil it doesn't take much to change straw color fluids to something else. Thanks for all the info.