2011 20K Service Type I - Oil Service - $688

djsincla

Single wrench on assist display - MB want $688 for an oil service - if I replace the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filters myself, have I covered everything??

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Do you have a Freightliner sprinter dealer nearby? I've paid under $300 for A service at one.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I just paid $317.79 including tax for the service at Santa Rosa Mercedes on my 08 Sprinter. They also did a complimentary multipoint inspection, provided a fault printout, fixed a "B" pillar seat belt anchor and cleaned the battery terminals. They provide excellent service.

They did not change the fuel filter because Mercedes has now extended the interval to 20,000 miles on older Sprinters. I think it is now 30,000 miles on Sprinters with DEF.

Traded the extra work for not rotating the tires. I rotate all 5 tires at the tire shop for free. For 4/5ths of the time I have the TMPS warning light illuminated because Mercedes was too cheap to include a sender in the spare.

Suggest you find a different dealer that does not rip you off. You may not need the air cleaner replaced. Depends on when it was last replaced.

sailquik

djsincla,
Is this your 1st service?
They do significantly more checking and tightening on the initial dealer service.
All the service items are listed in your Maintenance Manual.
Pay attention to the initial service extras if this is your first service.
Look around for another authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer.
Call and ask them if they have a commercial rate for working on Sprinter's.
There's around a $50 per hour service charge if you want your Sprinter cleaned inside and out
(practically a complete detail job) like they do for MB passenger cars/SUVS/Sports cars.
~$250-300 is usually the going rate so you might ask them to list what they plan on doing
parts and labor for the $688.00.
Maybe they are planning to do way more than is required.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. is your Sprinter a passenger model or a Cargo/Crew Van.... that could be some of the difference
in price due to the additional detailing required for a passenger van.

djsincla

djsincla,
Is this your 1st service?
They do significantly more checking and tightening on the initial dealer service.
All the service items are listed in your Maintenance Manual.
Pay attention to the initial service extras if this is your first service.
Look around for another authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer.
Call and ask them if they have a commercial rate for working on Sprinter's.
There's around a $50 per hour service charge if you want your Sprinter cleaned inside and out
(practically a complete detail job) like they do for MB passenger cars/SUVS/Sports cars.
~$250-300 is usually the going rate so you might ask them to list what they plan on doing
parts and labor for the $688.00.
Maybe they are planning to do way more than is required.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. is your Sprinter a passenger model or a Cargo/Crew Van.... that could be some of the difference
in price due to the additional detailing required for a passenger van.
- As in the title, it's the 20K (20,000 mile) or second service given 2011 NCV3 BlueTEC Sprinters have 10K service cycles.
- As in my tag line, Crew means Cargo van with crew seating so no "premium" for passenger.
- Purchased brand new so had dealer prep and it received a 10K service.
- Assyst computer/multifunction display shows single wrench (oil service) and and not two wrenches (mainteance service).
- "Normal" maintenance cycle for a Sprinter is Service I, I, II, I, I, II so heavy service II should be at 30K or 30,000 miles where I would expect to see a large quote.
- Associated with 10K service cycles is the requirement to use MB approved oil - eg Mobil1 5-40 ESP
- If you do use a lower spec oil, this can be identified when updating the Assyst to confirm service has been performed and service interval (I believe) will be reduced to compensate.
- Car/van washes are "free" anytime at this dealership. Nothing to "detail" on the inside.
- This is my second sprinter both purchased new.

Pretty obvious dealer tried to screw me. Oil/Filter has now been replaced, Multifunction Assyst has been reset and I plan to replace the fuel and air filters once parts arrive.

Dwayne

Last edited:

sailquik

djsincla,
Dwayne,
I apologize for not picking up on this being a 20K miles "B" service.
The $688 is not a particularly bad price for the full "B" service.
That's around what I normally pay for the full change all the filters and check everything, balance the wheels, check the battery (s),
check the trailer hitch, check all the fluids and refill as required (brake fluid, trans fluid, power steering fluid, engine coolant, rear differential fluid).
The fuel filter is a bit expensive and takes even factory trained techs a while to change.
So, did you change your own oil and oil filter?
What other filters are you replacing, and are you using OEM approved filters or the MANN Filter filters? These are the only filters I would ever consider using.
Have you checked on the "B" service Mileage spec.?
10K is the basic oil/oil filter change plus all the additional "one time" checks outlined in your Maintenance booklet.
20 K is supposed to be the "B" Maintenance service....check and refill everything, change all the filters oil/air/cabin/fuel.
30 K is supposed to be the same as an "A" service....oil/oilfilter and safety checks plus tire rotation.
Sorry for the confusion!
Roger

djsincla

MB don't publish any service type/interval information in their maintenance manual. They specifically point to you to the Assist computer and the One Wrench/Two Wrench's.

- You say heavy service at 20K.
- Others say Oil service at 20K.
- Computer says Oil service at 20K

Europarts and others have OEM filters. Oil (Mobil 1 ESP) and filters total close to $300 and there are videos on how to change the fuel filter. Europarts also have replacement clamps with screw so you don't have to use the funky clamps and special tool.

Who is right? Any MB mechanics want to comment? Did they change the light/heave service interval and the computer does not match?

Last edited:

awaywego

2008 NCV3 2500
On 10/29/10 jdcaples posted MB Sprinter manuals in the section of the forum titled NCV3 database. Please refer to it for maintenance intervals for your model year.
Oil and filters should be closer to 200 if filters are bought as a bundle. Also make sure you manually select the lowest cost method of shipping when using europarts. Their default wasn't the lowest cost for me and changing shipper saved me close to $40.
Filters are easy enough to change. Look for a write-up by Kat in the ncv3 write-ups. There are some really knowledgeable people here. Thanks to them ignoramuses like me can also enjoy their sprinters.

Sent using Tapatalk (my
excuse for typos, if any)

djsincla

On 10/29/10 jdcaples posted MB Sprinter manuals in the section of the forum titled NCV3 database.
Sent using Tapatalk (my
excuse for typos, if any)
I have the manuals but there is no reference to the specific service intervals. Assyst is supposed to be the reference. I reviewed my Assyst today and it is definitely A/A/B. Feedback from dealer is A/B/A/B so 10,30,50.. is Oil and 20,40,60 is Maintenance.

The "Oil" service done including the two air filters, oil filter, and fuel filter. I think its only the brakes that need to be done now to make it a full service.

Now I have no idea of what is correct. Van computer does not match dealer and manual references computer. How stupid.

peteaeonix

First service, 10,000 miles (oil, oil + air filter change) done at a "quickie lube" place. (A local store that might be from a small franchise.) Charged $225 with out DEF fluid (bought a 2.5 gallon jug at autozone). Included changing the 1 quart in an Onan lp-gas generator. Don't know if the fuel filter was done, too.

They didn't reset the miles to service counter, 'cause I was the first (2010) Sprinter (3500) they serviced. I found that out after about 500 miles. The Sprinter Store in Tualitan Oregon did that free of charge (I'd moved north from the place that did the service).

pfflyer

Just had my B service done drive out a little over $700. Included rotating tires, air and fuel filters, oil change and system checks. I will change the cabin filter after all this pollen clears up. In metro Atlanta we have only one MB Sprinter dealer and one FreightLiner. Now we just had another MB dealer added so will see if maint prices come down any.

Last edited:

Top Bottom