Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 02-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
drjoe

Question Scan Gauge instruction help

just bought a scanguage 2. Would love to find a reference for the etc on our 13, 24G skinny winnie
thanks (seems we are only getting 12 MPG)
Joe
drjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
sailquik

Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,331 Posts
Default Re: trouble codes

Joe,
Does the Scan Gauge II say you are only getting 12 MPG.....or do you get 12 MPG when you divide your miles traveled by your gallons to refill when
you fuel up?
I suspect that you have not "calibrated" your Scan Gauge II yet.
If you want to get close to the most often reported calibration/correction factor, hit the lower right button (the one with the red ring) and then choose "MORE".
Hit the upper right button to get "FILLUP".
Then use the upper left button to bring the percentage down to a - (Negative) 45%.
This should get you close until you can do the full "calibration" in accordance with the manual that came with your Scan Gauge II.
Also, you need to do the "setup" by putting the following in as parameters for the Scan Gauge II to calculate from:

Basic Setup Parameters
Setup Parameter Display Options Description
Distance Units DISTANCE Miles/Kilometers
The Setup Parameters include multiple units of measure settings, including Distance, Fuel, Temperature and Pressure.
Each is set independently of the other and can be used in any combination.

Making changes to these settings causes your ScanGauge to use these units when reporting and measuring data.
Fuel Units FUEL UNITS Gallons Liters
Temperature Units TEMP UNITS Fahrenheit (˚F) Celsius (˚C)
Pressure Units PRESSURE UNITS PSI KPA
Engine Size ENGINE SIZE 3.0 (Liters) Increase or decrease the Liters size until it matches the size of your engine.
Tank Size TANK SIZE 26 Gallons Is adjustable in 1-gallon or liter increments depending on how you set the FUEL UNITS parameter.
Fuel Type FUEL TYPE GAS
DIESELa
DIESELb
HYBRID LPG.
Most diesel vehicles use the DIESELa setting. See special notes below.
Hybrid vehicles must choose HYBRID or the ScanGauge will go to sleep when the engine automatically shuts off.
Set to LPG for propane powered vehicles.
Currency Type CURRENCY $, , , € Choose the currency symbol ScanGauge should use to display monitor values.

Make sure you enter the parameters in red into your Scan Gauge II
As far as getting the MPG perfectly accurate, you never will....the best way to get the completely accurate
MPG number is to divide the miles you've traveled (use the trip odometer here) by the gallons you've consumed (the gallons it took
to refill the tank to the top). Miles/gallons= Miles per Gallon.
I carry a small hand held solar calculator for this purpose.
Try to run your RV until the Reserve (Low) fuel light comes on.
At that point you have ~20% of the tanks capacity (100 liters/26.4 gallons X .20= (20 liters/5.28 gallons) left in the tank, so you can safely multiply what you think your current mileage is by 5 gallons and not run out.
Don't push this as running out of fuel is really not good for your Sprinters V6 diesel engine.
So, when the low fuel light/warning come on, try to get fuel as soon as you can.
You will get more consistent numbers if you refill after the low fuel warning than if you just fill it up all the time
at less that 80% of the tank full used.
Learn to use your Scan Gauge II more as a performance monitor than as a mileage aid. It works much better in this mode.
Be sure to pay attention to the % Engine Load (LOD) and then watch your Gallons per Hour (GPH).
You will begin to appreciate how hard your Sprinter's drive train is working and how much you can improve the mileage by
proactively performing manual downshifts to keep the % LOD @ 75% whenever possible.
This will mean running your RPM's up in the 2600-3000 range (where your OM-642 V6 is most efficient and get the best
fuel mileage when pulling hard.
Try to keep the %LOD as low as possible as much of the time as possible.
%LOD @ > 80-85 % really sucks the fuel, and is not particularly good for your engine and transmission.
I realize that running higher RPM sounds counter intuitive to getting good mileage, but try it, and I think you
will ultimately agree that while "counter intuitive" it's the nature of the beast when it comes to Sprinter engine management
systems.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Suspension Seats, Active Safety Package +, Parktronic, OEM Hitch/wiring
OEM back up camera, Bi Xenon light package, fog lamps, headlight washers.
Had 2006 T1N 3500/158|2010 NCV3 519/3500/144|2011 & 2012 NCV3 519/3500 170

Last edited by sailquik; 03-08-2014 at 03:33 PM.
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sailquik For This Useful Post:
andiamo (02-12-2014), awaywego (02-11-2014), Daybreak Express (03-01-2014), drjoe (02-11-2014), kickbucket1 (06-03-2014), Long Island Painter (03-21-2014), lrcasella (03-14-2014), morganfletcher (07-07-2016), odix@yahoo.com (11-13-2018), Ovrlnd_Trvlr (01-16-2017), psalm66 (03-08-2014), Redive (02-20-2016), SilverBack (03-29-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
awaywego
2008 NCV3 2500

motion to make the above a sticky for scan gauge users.
I am just beginning to tinker with mine and I'll use the above to calibrate today.
But Roger, lose the solar calculator...one extra thing to carry. Use your phone's calculator instead :)
Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
drjoe

I second the motion to make this a thread. Roger, many thanks for your multiple responses already. didn't know what the % was for - thought it was for the % of a full tank, so I was at 90% and put it there. did the rest of the setup as indicated. started to use the downshift and (while Lainey cried about something else to learn :) ) I did watch the load get better. On the short trip to purchase the sg2 (60 mi rt) still only read 7.2 avg mpg. hope that's not right. did watch the LOD get lower as I down shifted so I'm learning. Wish I lived closer so I could hire you as a tutor for us. had a pending code, but didn't write it down so got an appt tomorrow at MB dealer. will take ou the gauge as you indicated and see what their #s are.
again, thanks for the support
Joe
Old 02-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
drjoe

forgot to mention that we did calculate the gas mileage from a fillip after the gas lite lit. from the odometer miles divided by the gallons added still = 12.6
Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
sailquik

awaywego,
Thanks for the tip on the calculator.....I'll have to see how that works.
Actually the calculator is pretty redundant already as I enter each fuel fillup into a spreadsheet that takes mileage and Scan Gauge calibration factors out to 4 decimal places before I leave the refueling stop.
My iPhone 5 can do that.
I often load books on the iPhone, so we'll see how the calculator function works in the middle of listening to something on the sound system from
the phone.
Thanks again for the tip.
Someday I'll move into the 21st Century.
Roger
Old 02-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
drjoe

sorry! I just noticed I asked for a reference on "etc" instead of "DTC" codes. no wonder none responded. Anyone have a reference on etc codes for the 13 Sprinter?
thanks
Joe
Old 02-14-2014, 02:18 AM   #8
sailquik

drjoe,
Gee, now I have to disappoint you.....just when I got your attention.
Your Scan Gauge II will not provide you will reliable DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) period!!!!
It can be used as a generic diagnostic tool to identify if some of the parameters that you can detect with the Scan Gauge II
are within the normal range, but the generic codes the Scan Gauge II will give you are pretty much meaningless.
Unfortunately, the only diagnostic tools that reliably can read your Sprinters trouble codes are at Mercedes Benz and Freightliner
dealers. It's called the MB Star Diagnostic System (MB SDS) an costs far more than an individual or even an independent shop can
afford.
So, for diagnostics, take your RV to you nearest authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer (try to find a dealer that has commercial rates rather than a dealer that sells a lot of cars and does Sprinters as a sideline).
They will have all the service bulletins, have the remedies for any recall actions, and the diagnostic hardware/software to trouble shoot your Sprinter RV down to the component level.
Plus they are in communication with Sprinter Compliance Engineering at the RA plant in South Carolina (where your Sprinter RV was reassembled after it's voyage from the factory in Germany) and also with MB Sprinter engineering in Germany.
Learn to use your Scan Gauge II to drive your Sprinter in a manner that will prevent you from ever needing to know what DTC are being recorded in your Sprinter RV's ECM memory.
I've never had a problem, have them do all the services on schedule, use the best fluids (regardless of cost) and my over all cost of ownership is about as low as it's possible to get.
Hope this helps,
Roger
The Following User Says Thank You to sailquik For This Useful Post:
drjoe (02-14-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
irish65

You should be getting better mileage then 12 mpg. What speed are you going? I find the ideal speed is 60mpg or less. I get 14.8 towing a 05 Civic at 2700 lbs at 60 mph on the interstates and 14.4 on mixed driving. I have gotten as high as 15.9 new with no toad. There is a new service recall on the 2013 for a new computer upgrade. I don't know if it will help you. I just got it this week. My build date is Dec 12. If you get a scan gauge you can see the load and mpg change as you drive. It is useful in seeing just how much you are affecting mileage as you drive on hills etc.
2013 View Profile G
irish65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irish65 For This Useful Post:
sailquik (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,858 Posts
Default Re: Scan Gauge instruction help

Worry not, the same thing happened when I first installed my Scangauge II (in a 2008 Winnebago View) as it provides a wildly low MPG figure out of the box. After you perform the calibration routine (follow the instructions exactly) for a few fillups it will become quite accurate.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote