Would You????

Turbo John

Take your Sprinter off into a remote area for camping and fishing...maybe in the middle of Utah or Montana where there are only a few people around.

Or willing to drive anywhere you would take an American Truck like a chevy out in the back country that is pretty remote..........

Would You ? Trust your sprinter to get you out of where ever you were.........?:idunno:

Turbo John

And I have not had one since the 35 to 40 weather snap....is that cold?

Thinking about taking it to Alaska just for the experience......

uglied

uglied
No not reliable enough to be very far from Towing and service facilitie. Always make sure that you have cell phone service. Always make sure that some one has your schedule and contact them daily. How ever the american diesel vehicles are getting less reliable due to the stupid anti pollution add ons. Ambulances and fire trucks shuttind down in emergency situations due to these add ons. Stupid country we live in.

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
My ford rv broke down constantly. Throwing spark plugs, etc...

I'd sooner take my sprinter rv. Very, very reliable. I (again) just hopped in and drove 1200 miles on a whim. Bye bye snow.

TurnOne

I just bought mine and I would take it anywhere that a rear wheel drive vehicle would go. Pack a small dirtbike with you in case you need to ride out.

lindenengineering

I would have no bother in scudding about up in God's country in a Sprinter.

If the rig is properly maintained then have confidence. Its a very reliable vehicle.
I do it once or twice a year in a Landrover en route to Sandpoint Idaho.
AND----
I have a Ukrainian customer who has three vans serving the "upper tier" with specialty food deliveries regularly every week and he is based in Denver. He also delivers fresh cut flowers as a service to a Denver florist to all point north in time for christenings/weddings /funerals /and social bashes. (hatch match and dispatch in other words)

Now a Landrover has even less parts support than a Sprinter but I have no problems with going up there. On the few occasions I have had calls for tech/parts help for LR and Sprinters I have easily got stuff to the owner by Fed Ex. Last one was an LR customer needing a set of brakes in an oil field outside Sidney Montana. Lonely spot that!

Or how's about some adventure with your Sprinter up over the Beartooth range!
Get in and drive--See the real America--Bloody marvelous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlmineYIOg

Then drive this--- last time for us as a family was last year in my Landrover with 3 kids--are we there yet??:laughing:
Dennis

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Only if I had a DAD, confidence in mechanical knowledge, and access to the internet or smartphone. Parts can be delivered to the nearest road /house within a week . Stock up on life supplies and enjoy the adventure.

How's this for naive and hopeful:
This summer my wife and I, with 5 kids, will leave Kansas City and head to California via I-80, making our way from gold country to Yosemite to San Diego then Imperial Valley and back home via I-8/I-40 all in our 2002(195k) Sprinter pulling a 17' trailer for 4 weeks. (approx. 6000 miles all said and done) I have diagnostic software and tools. Now to accumulate spare parts just in case. I drove it from Kansas City to Indianapolis then on to see Dr. A last summer without a problem. Too bad I have a problem right now that needs to be fixed, but oh well, lots of time before we leave. Anybody along I-80 or I-40 want to lend a driveway and extension cord for a night in July let me know.

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
There's got to be a reason for all these 200--400---500k mile Sprinters out there! Must run sometime!:idunno:

Some of you must live pretty sheltered lives!:crazy:

Hell, I just bought a 270k mile van and drove it 2400 miles in the dead of winter to get it home:lol:

ANY vehicle could leave you stranded for some random reason.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I would... as I have... thousands of miles on trails in the southwest deserts.

Never a burp, nor hiccup... however, mine is stock and well maintained, by the book, by MB/Freightliner dealers and with oem parts only. Short of this, I'd not chance it.

Last edited:

glasseye

I would dearly like to roam the country in my Sprinter but afraid to go to far......which sucks:bash:
Just do it.

Now, granted, I've had Frito since he was under 10K miles. And the only time I've seen start error was in Andy's driveway, but still...

Maybe I'm just stupid. Or too trusting or naive. I dunno. It's just that all that country is out there, waiting. It's real case of "if you snooze, you lose"

Here's my old Asstro. One of two I wore right out before I wised up and got Frito.

Like I said. "Just do it" Life's too friggin' short to miss out on stuff like this. The worst that could happen is that you'd spend a bit more on your holiday than you thought.

Whaddya gonna do? Go on a booking cruise ship?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I've driven Mercedes-Benz vans where I want - occasionally where I shouldn't! - for over twenty years without feeling as though I need to consider breakdown support beyond a subscription fee.

chris118

I got my van used with 125,000 miles on it. I'm at about 220,000 now. All of that from road trips mostly around the the southwest states, camping in BLM lands off 4wd roads(who pays for camping...?!).
But also-2 trips from San Francisco to Prudhoe Bay Alaska within the Arctic Circle, with a 3rd trip back to AK planned this year. Through northern Mexico. Most recently from San Francisco to Cape Hatteras and back.

I only broke down once and it was kinda my own fault. I failed to realize the seriousness of my belt tensioner chirping and it fell apart and destroyed the belt. Oh, and a turbo hose split but I was able to limp home at 50mph from the Eastern Sierras- good excuse to take a bunch of cool back roads...that is it in 5 years and almost 100,000 miles.

But really, the biggest fear I have with the van is getting it stuck in- sand, mud, quicksand, volcanic ash, and more sand. Wish I could convert my small 118WD to 4wd.

These vans are awesome. Take them where ever.

*When reading this forum, remember most of the time people are seeking info on issues with the van. This can give you an unrealistic sense that they are problematic.:2cents:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric Experience

Turbo john.
Reliability is the main reason I got into Sprinters in the first place. I originally was going to take film crews to remote parts of Australia, but that project died. So I just go to the remote areas with friends. The need to be able to handle any problems is what got me interested in the technology. The only problem I have had in over ten years was a jammed gear selector after a flooded creek crossing. The main reasons I have so little trouble is traveling lite and keeping things simple. OH yes, all my Sprinters are 4x4. Eric.

Top Bottom