Can't RESTART for at least 10 minutes

DavesSprinter

Sprinter Does Not Start

When I try to start my 2004 Dodge 3500 Sprinter with 189,000 miles, the glow plug light stays on and the radiator fan comes on and the vehicle won't start.

It will start every morning or if it seems to be cold. If I drive for 30 minutes or longer and then turn off the vehicle, it will not start. I get nothing except the glow plug light stays on and the radiator fan comes on. After waiting a period of time, sometimes 10 minutes and as much as 30 minutes the vehicle will start again and run fine until I shut it off again.

If I don't shut the vehicle off, it will run fine all day long.

One mechanic said the ECM was bad. He replaced it, but it did not fix the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Sprinter Does Not Start

Sounds like a bad injector, I would use the search function in the T1N Talk and find any write ups about bad injector and leak down test. It will show the procedure to test the injectors and know which one to change. Also I would return the ECM to your mechanic and high tail it outta there, parts changer!!

DavesSprinter

2004 Dodge 3500 Sprinter with 189,000 miles.

It will start every morning or if it seems to be cold. If I drive for 30 minutes or longer and then turn off the vehicle, it will not start (dead no turn over). I get nothing except the glow plug light stays on and the radiator fan comes on. After waiting a period of time, sometimes 10 minutes and as much as 30 minutes the vehicle will start again and run fine until I shut it off again.

If I don't shut the vehicle off, it will run fine all day long.

One mechanic said the ECM was bad. He replaced it, but it did not fix the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
I suggest to change mechanic, find someone who has scanner with software specific for Sprinter.

One thing I would normally suggest for hot no start is to suspect the camshaft sensor. That sensor is only needed for starting index and is sometimes heat sensitive during early stages of failure. BUT, you mention no crank and that the aux fan comes on which is generally a symptom of loss of communication with the ECM (aka ECU) so that sensor is probably not the problem.

Some people have had success by removing various electrical connectors, applying contact cleaner (or WD40) and reconnecting securely. I would also very carefully check wiring harnesses for chafe and grounds for integrity.

These problems can often be difficult to trace down. vic

Misc info

Those who are interested should go and read this thread. Start by reading the first link I provide, read the second one and then go to post #1. It may give some needed direction and hints for troubleshooting. FWIW. vic

Re: No Crank No Start

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=193887#post193887

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=198356#post198356

If you believe this gentleman (it seems logical to me) then the aux fan running is a symptom.
I usually don't like to chime in on a huge thread like this because there is so much said that deserves to be addressed. First off, the real pointer that several people have been pointing out but seems to go in one ear and out the other is the CAN bus. Yes, ATC does control the secondary fan. It recieves signals from the ECM to turn on and off the fan. When the ATC cannot communicate with the ECM, it defaults to turn on the fan.

CAN messages not recieved from ECM is prolly a code in the ATC. Whenever any no comm takes place the aux fan turns on.

I can easily see that the oil in the TCM is your sole problem. Replace the NAG transmission plug adapter/bushing first, clean connectors on both ends, (I like the idea about the soldering gun, I will have to try that Thanks Eric), Your new TCM will have to be programmed by the dealership, expect $100-120.

The only reservation I have is the banging on the dash. I take it now you realize where the ECM sits in the dash. Some ECU's have problems with when getting hot, internal circuitry opens up. Cools down and starts working again. It's possible the internal starting control circuit could have this problem. Not something I would just throw a ECM at.

If I was working on it and suspected the ECM, I would check my voltages on the CAN bus to see if there is a short. Thats the first place a sprinter trained technician should go when he hears the fan motor running. If it is duplicating, you can trace everything out. CAN bus may be working, but what if just a bad connection at a module.

I'm sorry guys but sometimes things may just be over your head and you could just be wasting time and money on guesses.

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

Yeah, what Vic said. Fan motor but no crank means possible loose ECU relay in fuse box under steering wheel. Wiggling this relay while trying to turn key may allow you to start.

Top Bottom