Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
kenj356

Default Bottom of windshield rust

I just bought a 2005 MB Cruiser with 84,000 miles on it and it has some rust between the weather seal and the body at the bottom of the windshield. I was told by a body shop that services Fedex that this is common on these vans and that they have never repaired one without breaking the windshield when it is removed. Has anybody got any experience with this rust repair? I plan to keep the RV for a long time and I want to get this problem addressed before it gets worse. Thanks.
kenj356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
mean_in_green
>1,800,000m in MB vans

Default Re: Bottom of windshield rust

Can you store the vehicle inside for a few days? The nuisance part of this for most people is arranging to have the 'screen worked on twice, rather than the typical wham-bam one hour replacement.

The body shop is right - both the T1N and the NCV3s rust there. My four year old NCV3 with just 130,000 miles just had a replacement ' screen - it already has the beginnings of corrosion around the aperture. Not much you can do apart as the seal is the cause, it rubs against the paint...
kenj356 (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,819 Times in 9,397 Posts

The windscreen (OK Simon? ) is bedded and sealed by the adhesive. On my 2004 I carefully slit and removed the "look pretty" rubber edge which was trapping and holding moisture. The lower part of my windscreen is hidden by the hood anyway so I don't worry about the looks. That slowed the rusting process, not halted it though.

This coming summer I plan to scrape the rust, prime, top coat and then apply a bead of polyurethane like I did on the top section already.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...720#post208720

I've considered gluing an EDPM roof membrane "skirt" to the glass to shed water down over the lower seal. At this time I'm on the fence about implementing that because the water may find its way in anyway. vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
kenj356 (01-13-2014), mean_in_green (01-14-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
kenj356

Thanks for the quick responses and the link to the technical write-up on this problem. I plan to visit a few repair shops tomorrow to get some estimates. My approach will be to have the windshield removed, the rust damaged metal repaired or replaced with POR applied to the edge all around the windshield before final paint and reassembly. I will report back on how this goes.
kenj356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Oilburner
2004 2500 140"cargo l/r

Lot's of time rust around windshield was created by bad job with windshield re-installation, so be aware about, please.
Oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
israndy
2007 LTV Serenity

I had to replace my windshield this summer due to a rock hit and they got the old one out w/o further cracking it, it was not the original winds(creen|hield) however, had a part number in the lower passenger corner. There was VERY LITTLE rust, I was expecting a disaster. I sanded and rustoleumed, but I hear rust never sleeps.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
lindenengineering

Thanked 11,295 Times in 5,738 Posts

To do this right!
We have done three so far!

Means removal of the windscreen/windshield and soda blast (Do not use sand blast techniques) the area to remove all rust, immediately etch prime the area, use high build to repair any surface divits, prep and paint & the area without breaking through the seal into the metal.

Then you will never see the rust come back --at least for the lifetime of the vehicle.
We have used Dupont Imron on one unit--looked nice when finished
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
FlyingBreadBox (01-14-2014), kenj356 (01-14-2014), Kid347 (07-12-2016), kjg912 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
FlyingBreadBox

My 2003 had this as well . I first removed the hood ( use two people!). I then scraped, wire brushed ( small hand wire brush and with a small "Dremel like" rotary brush), sanded then coated with rust mort . I then primed and painted by hand with a brush. I was able to pull the rubber back with a old putty knife ( smooth rounded edges) and get in a 1/4 inch to the lip. I used common nails every inch around the seal to allow air in to cure the primer and paint. This took several coats to get everything coated moving the nails each time. I will paint it again next summer. I have years of paint experience on homes at the beach in Santa Cruz CA. If you stay on top of it and maintain the top coat it should last a lot longer. I also wax it there and keep it clean. I used no body filler because I want to keep a close eye on it. It looks so much better, no scabs growing through the paint anymore.
FlyingBreadBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingBreadBox For This Useful Post:
kenj356 (01-14-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #9
thinice
2005 tall 140WB 160K

Sounds like your leaning towards removing the windshield & that would probably be the way to go for best results. I did a DYI repair leaving the windshield in. Think my windshield was poorly replaced at some point. Donít know if my rubber gasket is factory or not but I was able to remove it and replace once I made my repairs. There is a drain channel around the edge of the windscreen that rusts if it gets plugged up. In my case some rubber spacers were set behind the windscreen and protruded out blocking the drain channel. I cut them away and spend a lot of time carefully scrapping and sanding all around the windshield, then applied rust solution liberally. The bottom was bad, went at it with a body grinder. On my first try I used a spray can to repaint, It was thin, messy, and didnít last but a year. I went back and did it again with more care (good for two years now) using Rust paint in a can, applied with a small artist brush to get a good thick coverage in the channel. Like Vic mentioned the bottom does not show so I did not use any filler expecting to maybe redo in a few year or maybe try Vicís suggestion of some sort of protective flat which may or may not trap even more moisture? While you at it I would check around the wheel wells and under the foot well liners a common area for more rust. See Photo. Good Luck, Tim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-rust.jpg (156.8 KB, 252 views)
thinice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinice For This Useful Post:
kenj356 (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #10
jujupang

I just had a body shop in Venice, California remove all the rust that had resulted from an inexpensive windshield replacement done 7 years ago. The windshield shop must have rushed and scratched the paint removing the gasket. Rust developed on the top edge mostly but was appearing all around. Fortunately I had just caught a rock and chipped the windshield, the ins. company paid for a new windshield replacement, the body shop did a good job of grinding out the rust, putting on a rust inhibitor then bondo to even out the surface before painting. I watched them squeeze out adhesive before putting in the new gasket then I watched one man easily lift the new glass and with the aid of one man to help guide the glass in, it was done. To do the job the shop also removed the hood in the beginning.

I hear that MBenz cars are prone to rust. I had rust problems with an '84 300TD.

Juju
jujupang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jujupang For This Useful Post:
kenj356 (01-14-2014)