2006 3500 front wheel bearing replacement

Joelmoak

I need help replacing this front wheel bearing. There is a flange that is on the outside edge of the spindle that I can't remove, even with a puller, and I'm guessing I have too to get the new wheel bearing on. Can anybody tell me how to do this since I'm way past hiring someone else to do it?

Attachments

Joelmoak

I figured out it was the remnants of the outside bearing stuck to the spindle. I used a cutting wheel and got it off. Now I'm struggling with getting the wheel to fit in the right spot over the spindle. Do I need to get a special tool to put it in the right place?

the-oilman

That looks like the inner race of the outer bearing, that is probably galled or welded onto the spindle. It was supposed to slide off, but you are way past that!
I would take a dremel or small cutoff grinder and cut a line across it (from outside to inside), but very cautiously. You don't want to cut all the way through and damage the spindle further. Carefully cut it 3/4 of the way through, then take a chisel and try to split it.
After you get it off then you will have to clean up the spindle and decide if the spindle can be salvaged or if you have to replace the spindle too. The new bearing should slide on with almost no wobble to it.
With luck you can salvage the spindle.
Good Luck!

chads

If you mean how far it goes onto the spindle.
The tapered bearings will self center the hub.
You should be able to tighten the nut up and draw it in till it starts to drag as you turn it.
Then back off a little till it spins fairly freely and has no play when you push/pull on the wheel.

This should happen fairly easily, generally you can pull a bearing off with your hand.
If not sand it down with emery cloth till it will slide on without too much trouble.

If the bearing is too loose and wobbles on the spindle a little you may be able to knurl the spindle with a hammer and punch all the way around and dress it up with emery a bit.
Not the best way but works in a pinch if your in a tight spot.

Hard to describe without talking to ya.
Chad

Last edited:

Joelmoak

Chads, so if I sand the spindle down a little it will allow the rear to sink into place? If you can see my second picture that is with the rear bearing in place it will still not go further and leaves almost a half of an inch exposed on the spindle.

Joelmoak

The oil man, thanks! I figured out (after I posted in desperation) what that was and bought a cutting wheel on my 5th trip to harbor freight and cut it and chiseled it off.

chads

The biggest diameter is the seal race. the seal rides on that to keep out the dirt.
The inner bearing goes on the spindle up to the seal race.
THe inner bearing goes on opposite way the outer bearing does widest part in and skinny side out.
THe outer bearing goes wide part out and skinny side in.

If you bearing was bad most likely need to change the bearing race too, that part is in the hub.
You can tap it out with a punch. and watch what way it comes out.
Place the new one in there and find a socket or pipe the right size to tap it or press it in.
It's a little ring that is about .1/4" bigger than the bearing diameter.

Chad

Last edited:

chads

Looking at the photo again you may just need to hold it up there and put the outer bearing on the spindle and push it on by hand till the threads are exposed so you can get a nut started.
It should start to line up and slide on to the spindle fairly easily at that point.
In the first photo the spindle looked pretty good maybe a little dirty by the inner bearing just clean it up and some light oil will help it go on.

Chad

Last edited:

Joelmoak

The biggest diameter is the seal race. the seal rides on that to keep out the dirt.
The inner bearing goes on the spindle up to the seal race.
THe inner bearing goes on opposite way the outer bearing does widest part in and skinny side out.
THe outer bearing goes wide part out and skinny side in.

If you bearing was bad most likely need to change the bearing race too, that part is in the hub.
You can tap it out with a punch. and watch what way it comes out.
Place the new one in there and find a socket or pipe the right size to tap it or press it in.
It's a little ring that is about .1/4" bigger than the bearing diameter.

Chad
I wish I had seen that sooner but I used my dremel with an Emory cloth ring on it and was ably to smooth the spindle just enough to get it to seat perfect. I now have it back on at both ends and adjusted and spinning smoothly. Thanks for all your help!

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
I need help replacing this front wheel bearing. There is a flange that is on the outside edge of the spindle that I can't remove, even with a puller, and I'm guessing I have too to get the new wheel bearing on. Can anybody tell me how to do this since I'm way past hiring someone else to do it?
How many miles were on the Sprinter when you decided to change the front wheel bearings? Was there symptoms, or it was preventative maintenance?

Cheers,

lindenengineering

Well I posted a "howto" on the hubs' adjustment recently.
The tone rings are simply pressed onto a register machined into the hub
Simply place the hub in a vice and whack them off, its that simple. (chisel & BFH )
Clean up the register with emery cloth, then using a bearing placement dolly, offer the new ring squarely onto the hub and press it down until it sits against the register stop..
Its that easy but don't bend it or deform it with undue force.
Dennis

Top Bottom