Sprinter Skreem cure

Turbo John

The last time I was here I got the start error code. I ran all the 12 volt tests and everything was A ok
Now I did email Andy and he said you have no choice: Send the Skreem/keys and ECM to
SOS Diagnostics. So I boxed it up and sent it to SOS.....cause it was an SOS !

Now they wont tell you a thing about the repair........so dont ask.

I got it back promptly with a 300 dollar charge attached.

The Skreem was sealed with their tape and so was the ECM....with a note that there was a lifetime warranty if I did not tamper with the box and left it sealed.

re-installed and after several tries...something like it was learning ......would not start

but after several tries with both keys it finally started and NO MORE ERROR CODE

Started right up every time since then with no issues.........fixed!:rad:

So here is my take...........for along time I would disconnect my negative side of the battery and re install to get it to start.........what ever goes bad with these trucks take place over a certain time period,

I think it was all related and finally it just quit. So if your experiencing no start issues in time it just wont start anymore and you will need to do what I did.

Having said that I do not know or heard of anybody else that can perform that service. They have a cottage industry built around this trouble shoot. I am thankful and grateful we have a company like them...........cause I do not know the next step to fix this mess.

Thanks you SOS Diagnostics...........this trouble shoot would have cost a small fortune at a dealer or foreign car shop. http://www.sosdiagnostics.com/sprinter.html

This forum can save you money if you pay attention and can do some things yourself.

I was able to check the 12volt issues first with a meter and then I knew it was not some fuse or other issue.........and was not real sure when I got it back it would start.

Evidently SOS knew when they checked the ecm and skreem there was an issue, otherwise I would have gotten a phone call saying there was no problem

Anyway I want to report this so in case others are having this issue......it can be fixed.

I only have 75 on my Sprinter so its not a mileage deal....:bounce:

Last edited by a moderator:

david_42

I had a cold weather problem with my SKREEM at 30K, in 2005, that required replacement. I think the failures are more or less random.

glasseye

And it looks like all these SKREEM issues might become moot soon. Here's a video that shows bad guys effortlessly entering vehicles with an electronic black box.

If they can break into the car this easily, they can probably disable the immobilizers. :idunno: :yell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=l7OadDz3Ums

Time for a hidden, simple start-inhibit switch somewhere in the vehicle?

JAM

That's awesome it's fixed. My start error was a bad ground strap from motor to frame. My no crank no start was loose nuts on fuse box 1. The mechanic said it had some corrosion and those bolts are what gives it it's ground path.

Turbo John

After each of the three times i have sent my stuff to SOS it started first try.:2cents:
Are you saying it failed 3 times with the same truck?
Or there different trucks.....

If its the same truck how much time elapsed between failures...that way I will know what to look forward too!:bash:

Turbo John

And it looks like all these SKREEM issues might become moot soon. Here's a video that shows bad guys effortlessly entering vehicles with an electronic black box.

If they can break into the car this easily, they can probably disable the immobilizers. :idunno: :yell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=l7OadDz3Ums

Time for a hidden, simple start-inhibit switch somewhere in the vehicle?
I agree that the cars are so complicated now and people are more brazen now especially with a bad economy that the only protection you have is to now keep valuables in your car and if you must you then buy a safe for your car.

No alarms either because we now rely on the factory alarm...

All I want to do is drive my truck and not worry if its going to start every time!

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
So i sent my ecm and skreem back to SOS. Get new skreem box and reprogramming. Go on 400+ mile trip over several days with no problems. Stop half mile from home on the way back...start error. Get new battery, no change, get towed home.

Buy loaner set from SOS and send mine back. Go on 400+ mile trip over several days with no problems. Stop for fuel a few miles from home on way back...start error. Luckily my original had arrived back at home, so wify brings it and i get home.

Chad at SOS says my problem is "interesting":bash: He says a few customers carry a spare ecm and skreem. That would really suck! I asked him about a new ecm...

"A new ECM is not going to help or at least it is very unlikely. That is an expensive gamble to take. The ECM we sent has run several other vans with no faults.
Could be an open or short in the wiring, a bad ignition switch, the fuse box in the column, etc. When these vans get this intermittent “start error” it can be fun to track it down since it only happens briefly after multiple successful starts. Sometimes they will run for months before reappearing.
Send back the other set ASAP so we can get it programmed and ready to go until the fault is found."

It is weird, it used to be more intermittent. It could come and go. Now it seems to work until it doesnt. I also dont get how problems else ware could cause the units to go bad. Is it an amazing coincidence that every time i swap them out it works, until it doesnt. I am in Sprinter Hell:cry:
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26867&page=2

Currently, i have over 40 starts and carry a spare ecm & skreem. I wish i knew what goes bad. Hopefully you will not have this problem again!:cheers:

Turbo John

40 Starts........who counts? Now you have me paranoid........guess I will start counting........about 10 days will be 40 starts........now thats some security!

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
ha, sorry to make you paranoid! just sharing my personal woes:cry: two times i had less than 20 starts, so i am on a roll! counting is a sign of OCD:crazy:

ha, sorry to make you paranoid! ... :crazy:
Damn you Sprinter-source!!

It's a double-edged sword.

Recently I noticed a different smell from my T1N exhaust. I didn't put much on it and pretty much thought maybe it was fuel supplier related or change to winter blend fuel.

Then someone here mentioned that they noticed an odd smell before their engine quit with piston related damage.

So now here I am wondering if the smell is something I should worry about or not. :bash:

I've found so much excellent help here...
But like I said... double-edged sword.

Now I am.........started it only 5 times
That sounds like a good start to me. (Pun intended).

There's been many more success stories related to SOS Diagnostics repairs than otherwise. You should be fine.

:cheers: vic

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
Hahaha...100 starts, woot! Crumpled up my OCD counter this morning! Stop at store on way home to pick up some rum to celebrate...start error! Sh@t you not! Pull fuses, no luv. Install spare ecm/skreem i carry, starts right up. go home...drown my sorrow:cry:

hooked up DAD, mess around with COM settings...start error!
key off page 1
dadkeyoff1.jpg

key off page 2
dadkeyoff2.jpg

key on page 1
dadkeyon1.jpg

key on page 2
dadkeyon2.jpg

Turn off van, disconnect DAD. Starts three times in a row.:crazy: had enough for one day:yell:

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
So when the SKREEM begins acting up, will the van still turn over or does it simply do nothing when you turn the key? Also, based on my quick perusal of threads on the topic, does it seem to be less of an issue with the 2003 and earlier Sprinters?

Turbo John

So when the SKREEM begins acting up, will the van still turn over or does it simply do nothing when you turn the key? Also, based on my quick perusal of threads on the topic, does it seem to be less of an issue with the 2003 and earlier Sprinters?
You will get a " Start error code" and it will do nothing but wave at you!:tongue:

Top Bottom