Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

support Sprinter-Source.com
Click here or the banner before shopping at Amazon. A percentage of your purchase goes to support Sprinter-Source.com

Old 11-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Jb1rd73
2006 NAFTA 140 HR

Default MaxAir vs Fantastic Fan

What are ya'lls thoughts here, seems like a lot of folks here run the FF, but the MA seems really nice. And what about dual fan install on a 140 HR, is it worth the expense or is 1 sufficient?
Jb1rd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 3,500 Times in 1,997 Posts
Default Re: MaxAir vs Fantastic Fan

The advantage of the Maxxair over the FF is the cover design which prevents rain from getting in without a rain sensor. The lid support has two arms instead of one which "allows vent to be open while driving". Not sure about the last comment since I had to replace the handle gearbox because it failed.
The advantage of the FF from reading posts on this forum is the excellent support from FF.

I only have one vent over the rear bed on a 144" WB and see no need for a second fan. Lots of air flow with a floor hole or crack open the front windows.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graphite Dave For This Useful Post:
Jb1rd73 (11-04-2013), slamo (12-27-2016)
Old 11-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
pfflyer

Thanked 1,126 Times in 895 Posts

Couldn't agree with Dave more. So far no complaints with my Maxxaire vent. Seems 2 would be overkill. As long as you balance air in to what you are exhausting out one fan is plenty for my application. It will even suck air from my vents if windows not open enough. Maybe no one raves about Maxxair customer service because they never have to call. haha I did call with an installation question and they were more than helpful.
pfflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pfflyer For This Useful Post:
Jb1rd73 (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Charlie
2008 2500 170 Diesel

I had to make the same decision a few years ago for our 170 conversion. I chose the Maxxair for the same reason as Dave - you can leave the vent open if it is raining. Here in the NW, that is a fairly big deal.

We installed 2 vents just to make sure we could move enough air to keep our cat safe, though we often need to run only one.

One thing I've noticed is that the unit will sometimes turn on when I'm using a wireless mouse in the van. Although I don't have the remote option, I suspect the receiver is in the unit, just to simplify stocking and leave open the future possibility of selling the remote. Does anyone know if this is true?
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
boardster

I have two FF's but it is overkill, I never use a fan speed higher than "1".
But if I were to do another Sprinter in the future I would skip any crank out awning screened windows and just go with a few fixed glass ones but make up for it with two roof fans. Parked they are far more secure than leaving windows open, will close with rain sensors or no need with the Max, less sheet metal being eliminated, less area for increased corrosion potential, and can set one to suck in and the other out. For sleeping in secure campgrounds etc. I would use screens on the cab side windows if I needed any more air.
Just saying really that the crank-out awning windows are very expensive, have finicky mechanisms, won't keep wind-blown rain out, are tricky and/or expensive to install, and provide very little open area. Factory glass looks much nicer from the inside as well as exterior, and should be free-er of corrosion long-term.
boardster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to boardster For This Useful Post:
Dlankhaar (04-20-2015), dynaco1 (04-20-2015), idontsitwell (08-03-2017), Jb1rd73 (11-06-2013), wwjase (04-02-2017)
Old 11-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
dickknapp
dickknapp

I installed FF mid-van and Fantastic vent over bed in back. Can run the fan with remote from bed. Works nicely. Chose FF because it replaced another make and Fantastic offers a clamp model that didn't need more holes drilled. Also the Fantastic was lower clearance, though I now think that is not an issue. I did have some contact with factory and I agree that their support is superb.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
NBB

If you are jamming things onto your roof - solar panels, whatever - the MaxAir takes up a larger footprint, so that might be an issue to consider. I have a Fantastic. I've never had issues with rain, just use the knob to "override" the automatic lift/lower and set the cover to a place where the rain won't get in, if needed. This works fine for all but the heaviest of downpours. The rain sensor is still on, it just doesn't get triggered.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,216 Posts

I had both, did not like FF due to shuddering during primarily closing. I believe the shuddering was due to the single lift arm by design. The shuddering increased with the heavier double pane dome. Lubrication helped for a while but chattering returned.

MaxxAir has 2 arms and manual and electric opening or closing of the dome are smooth. Slightly opened Maxxair vibrates while vehicle is in slow motion, this noise goes away at higher speeds with air pushing the dome down.

FF has optional double pane dome and I don't think the MaxxAir has one.

George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
pfflyer

Thanked 1,126 Times in 895 Posts

[QUOTE=NBB;266313]If you are jamming things onto your roof - solar panels, whatever - the MaxAir takes up a larger footprint, so that might be an issue to consider. QUOTE]

Only if you install other than the rear of the van. Same hole size but there is more overhang to the rear. Whatever fan you choose, I recommend installing one even for those that just use their Sprinters just for cargo.
pfflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #10
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 3,500 Times in 1,997 Posts

Just received an email from Maxxair about driving with the vent open. They say either fully open or fully closed. Might explain the gearbox failure since I have driven with it partially open.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graphite Dave For This Useful Post:
GeorgeRa (11-05-2013), Jb1rd73 (11-06-2013), pfflyer (11-05-2013)