Black Smoke When Accelerating

lmckenzie

Just noticed that my 2002 T1N with low miles (50K) leaves a puff of black smoke when accelerating. Not bad enough to normally notice in the mirrors, but someone stopped me in a parking lot and said something, and then I noticed it when turning and accelerating. What should I be looking at?

Larry

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Usually caused by lack of air, the turbo charge is not getting turned on or not getting thru to the intake manifold.
Check that the turbo hoses have no leaks, tears, bulges, all clamps are tight, and listen for a squeal or whistle or hiss . Otherwise a dirty air filter.
Turbo actuator may have the vacuum hose fall off, check under the engine near the alternator/turbo for this hose connected

Attachments

riskydnb

Naturally there is going to be a bit of black smoke but if its a lot it could mean you need a new egr or your current egr needs to be cleaned. Or it could be a lack of turbo boost pressure...

seans

Several people have associated a dirty MAF sensor with smoke:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=240589&postcount=6
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=170617&postcount=3

If you do use MAF cleaner to clean it, remove the MAF from the vehicle first. DO NOT SPRAY MAF CLEANER INTO YOUR INTAKE TUBES. The van will ingest it and any oil it loosens, causing a temporary unstoppable runaway at restart with potentially valve damaging detonation.

Please let us know what ends up working.

seans

Several people have associated a dirty MAF sensor with smoke:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=240589&postcount=6
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=170617&postcount=3

If you do use MAF cleaner to clean it, remove the MAF from the vehicle first. DO NOT SPRAY MAF CLEANER INTO YOUR INTAKE TUBES. The van will ingest it and any oil it loosens, causing a temporary unstoppable runaway at restart with potentially valve damaging detonation.

Please let us know what ends up working.
...and, after cleaning my van's MAF sensor I have not noticed any tremendous improvement in my own van's mileage, and the other evening saw a nice puff of smoke through the headlights of the car behind me while accelerating to enter a freeway. So this may do nothing at all (and I have more troubleshooting work to do on my van, it seems.)

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Black smoke means the air/fuel mixture is a bit off. Too much diesel, not enough air. In power circles, it's called "Rolling Coal" and you can see extreme examples of it on Youtube. I get it a tiny bit on hard acceleration, but I'm not worried. I think it's pretty normal to see it from time to time when the engine is working hard.

seans

Hi Joel!

Maybe it is not as bad as I think since it is only at night when I can see it. I need to find someone to drive the van while I drive behind it (not actually sure it is black), and verify color, density and if it happens only the first time on hard acceleration or on every acceleration. I think my air filter is pretty clear (it has 8000 miles on it, from coast to coast to coast, and the obstruction gauge has not moved.) I need to find out why my gas mileage is comparatively sucky. Maybe some of my roof decorations need to come off.

Sean

Dingo

As every one points out black smoke is due to unburnt fuel normally due to less air entering the cylinders SO ...

Check air filter is clean & not blocked as well as air pipe into the air box ( seen these stuffed with leaves ) , pour soapy water over hoses & oints while your glamourous assistant revs the engine to about 2000 rpm , this will spin up turbo nicely & pressureise the inlet system .
Look for bubbles forming around a leak ( if there is one )

Another favourite is the EGR valve staying open , mountains of posts of removing & cleaning this honey .
Basically if it does not close & seal on its mating face , not only do you drag dirty exhaust into the engine your hard won boosted air gently sslips away down the exhaust without ever going through the cylinders . Personally filter then EGR to cure black smoke on acceleration

Top Bottom