Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
sprinterpirate
not an electrician.

Default Help! Stuck in El Paso...

I bought a 2004 sprinter 2500 (w/ 75k) a couple weeks ago, and today I tookit out on its first "long run"--from Abilene, TX to Tucson; but I never made it out of Texas...

I was cruising for hours with no issues at all, perhaps pushing it a bit - I wanted to see what it could do. Engine temps were steady between 180-190. Apparently I have a need to find out the hard way. I was in the left lane going up a slight grade doing 70 in what suddenly became dense traffic when the check engine light came on and the van just.... died. I managed to get through the other lanes and pull to the side. As I was doing so I heard a "downshift" sound from the transmission, and then the engine revved for a few seconds before dying.

I waited 20 min, checked fluids (except tranny fluid of course - stupid design) and started it up. With the flashers on I managed to limp 1/2 mile in 2nd to the local Pep Boys, where they found a number of error codes (see attached photos - note, only some appear to be "active" faults).

I know its due for trans fluid replacement at the very least, in fact Skill3 suggested I do just that BEFORE starting my journey here: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...t=27968&page=2. :o

The faults appear to be serious, so my questions:

Does someone have a recommendation for good service here? I need to be at work in Santa Cruz, CA on Monday!

Anyone care to recommend some measures I can take myself to try to fix the problem ASAP? I understand its most likely impossible to diagnose over the internets... but maybe someone has had a similar experience!

Thanks y'all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1376181691916.jpg (86.9 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1376181716448.jpg (86.7 KB, 175 views)
sprinterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
icarus

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,702 Posts
Default Re: Help! Stuck in El Paso...

You have to find someone with a proper MB scan system. Most generic scan tools will not report MB faults, and or not report them properly.

Icarus

Last edited by icarus; 08-11-2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Typo!
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
sprinterpirate
not an electrician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
You have to indexing someone with a proper MB scan system. Most generic scan tools will not report MB faults, and or not report them properly.
Thank you Icarus!

I have been working long hours but have been wanting to educate myself here on the forum - that's what DAD is all about, right?

In the mean time, so I can limp home to California: can a freightliner or Dodge service center read these correctly? I'm looking up local resources right now.

Also: are you saying the fault codes themselves will read incorrectly, or that the descriptions of those codes will simply be incorrect? In other words, can I trust the numbers and cross-check them with some resources I have seen on this forum?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
icarus

Codes could be right, could be wrong, or could be nonexistent.

A Dodge or Fl dealer that sold or services Sprinters should Be able to, at the very least, red the codes correctly. Ai would try a number of starts and stops and see if it clears. I would also consider changing the fuel filter, checking the charge air hoses to and from the turbo, and perhaps the EGR.

Icarus
Old 08-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
surlyoldbill

Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,704 Posts

It's possible that it blew out the resonator. Maybe this one never had the better resonator installed.
There is a smartphone app called Torque that will allow you to read some engine info in real time. It requires a bluetooth ELM327 adapter though (plugs into the OBDII port below the dash).

If you could check the boost pressure, you'd know. Also look around the resonator and other charge air hoses and connections for signs of a leak, it will have a slight oily residue, sometimes on a seam.

I suspect loss of boost pressure because it happened while going fast and then hitting a hill. The extra pressure given by the turbo may have been too much for the resonator or other component to handle.
surlyoldbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
icarus

^X2 on the resonator! (charge air leak!)

Icarus
Old 08-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
sailquik

Thanked 5,470 Times in 3,322 Posts

sprinterpirate:
Look for the simple things first!
Have you checked the turbo resonator for a crack around the top seam (there will be an oil trace along the crack normally.
Have you palpated all the turbo hoses (squeeze them with your hands) to look for a cracked or split hose)?
If you can find a Freightliner or Dodge Sprinter dealer, they may be able to help.
If you can find a Mercedes Benz Authorized Sprinter dealer, they will have the MB SDS (Star Diagnosis System) diagnostics that can pull the correct codes to identify the problem. Probably not on Sunday though!
Not sure what all the codes you provided mean, when they were generated, or whether they have anything to do with your current problem.
Short of the MB SDS system, you would need a DAD unit and a compatible laptop computer, or someone with a DRB-III and the appropriate cabling/modules to communicate with your Sprinter.
In regards to your questions, the codes could be old, or completely incorrect for the current issue.
They are generic, and you can look them up to see if they all lead in one direction. There are generic
codes on this site in the DIY section.
Roger
Suspension Seats, Active Safety Package +, Parktronic, OEM Hitch/wiring
OEM back up camera, Bi Xenon light package, fog lamps, headlight washers.
Had 2006 T1N 3500/158|2010 NCV3 519/3500/144|2011 & 2012 NCV3 519/3500 170

Last edited by sailquik; 08-11-2013 at 01:28 AM.
sailquik is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailquik For This Useful Post:
sprinterpirate (08-11-2013), surlyoldbill (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,840 Times in 5,719 Posts

From the codes displayed, it sounds like an intermittent wiring fault/failure.
It could be the "gas" pedal sensors, the connector attached to same, the cable harness to the injectors (connector near head), or a loose connector at the ECM itself.
I'd start there (crawl under near hood release, look up. The ECM is located just under that little "glove box" on the left dash).
See if the ECM connectors are firmly seated.

There used to be an *excellent* Dodge Sprinter dealer in Texas who'd post here in "the old days". I believe the dealership was sold and Sprinter service went downhill.
There's also Berry Sprinter: Berry Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
1971 Texas 31
Corsicana, TX
Phone: (800) 926-8254
Fax: (903) 872-2094
Hours of operation:
MONDAY-SATURDAY 8-6
------------------------

I see there's a Freightliner dealer in El Paso:
ON THE BORDER FREIGHTLINER
1367 N. HORIZON BLVD.
EL PASO, TX 79928
Phone: (915)852-4922
Toll Free: (800)778-7817
Wrecker: (915)852-6640
... i have no idea if they work on Sprinters, but many FL dealers have 7-day service depots...
(in which case, they *may* be able to read the codes, even if they're not a full-depth Sprinter service point)
------------------
Since it's willing to *run*, you could probably limp it home. (Mr Optimist speaking here...)
(although if it's a connector falling off, it may fully separate along the way (but that would make it easier to find))

memo: never drive a new (to you) Sprinter a long distance with a very short time deadline at the far end....

Since you (probably) didn't show us ALL the codes .. i also agree that it could be an intake air system leak.
What does your scangauge report about MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure)?

good luck
--dick
added: http://www.otbfreightliner.com/ OTB FL does have a 7-day service center. 8am-5pm Sat/Sun
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 08-11-2013 at 01:32 AM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
surlyoldbill (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
sprinterpirate
not an electrician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlyoldbill View Post
There is a smartphone app called Torque that will allow you to read some engine info in real time. It requires a bluetooth ELM327 adapter though (plugs into the OBDII port below the dash).

Also look around the resonator and other charge air hoses and connections for signs of a leak
Thanks surly, actually torque is the app I got those codes from. The guy at pep boys had that bluetooth unit.

Thanks everyone for the quick suggestions! It started sprinkling and looks like rain is coming, so I'm going to find cover. As long as I keep it under 40mph or 2k rpm it limps around just fine - beyond that it just dies and then restarts tight away.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
surlyoldbill

Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,704 Posts

Dick, good point, I forgot about the common (enough) loose ECM relay or bad connections on the fusebox under the steering wheel. BUT, wouldn't that cause a total shutdown, and not allow limping?

Also, I think others have said that traveling in LHM is not all that bad for the van, it's just very slow for you.
surlyoldbill is offline   Reply With Quote