Woodpecker in my rear end?

asodergren

My 2005 Sprinter has developed a sound that I can't find any reference to in other posts. During heavy acceleration, I get a short burst of knocking coming from the back of the vehicle. It literally sounds like a woodpecker going at a tree (similar frequency and sound). It only lasts one or two seconds and there are no other unusual sounds coming from the rear end under any other circumstance. I do have an aftermarket drive shaft with a quick disconnect, but it seems well balanced and a visual inspection of it reveals nothing unusual. Anybody else ever experience this?

theburgboy

Just a thought, but check your motor mounts especially the right one for cracks or splits. my right side mount broke but it was hard to see because at rest with no load on it, it was hard to see the crack because it sat in place but when I would excelerate heavy the right side of engine would lift and shift to the left, pushing the drive shaft into the retainer ring. Its really not that hard to replace the motor mounts. Took me less than an hour.

coalminer

Another thing to check, the top shock mounts, mine was rattling when I got it, tightened it down and it is rattling again, only at certain speeds and when you get a tire that is not balanced perfectly, that will make it much worse.

asodergren

Ok, thanks. I'll put the shocks on the list. I have been traveling between Salt Lake City and Orange Beach, AL the last couple of days and haven't had a chance to check anything yet. Whatever it is, if I find it, I'll post the cause.

ScottWood

The rubber moulding around the windshield came loose on mine. It made a sound like that when I hit 62MPH. The sound came from above my head, but I can see how it might sound like it was in the rear.

A tube of weather strip glue solved the problem.

Scott

asodergren

Well, it turned out to be the universal joint between the two driveshafts. It is an aftermarket driveshaft with a disconnect so I can tow the Sprinter behind our motor coach.

Top Bottom