Removal of sliding door panel

jjrubino

I have searched the forum and could not find a write-up on how best to remove the interior panel from my 2006 T1N. I'm hearing a rattle and need to get in there. Thanks.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
See the 2006 service manual from here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

Trim panel removal is on page 23-46

You will want a set of inexpensive "trim panel removal tools" to non-destructively release the plastic holding pins:
TrimTools.jpg
(available at auto parts stores, and through Amazon)
You can easily get by with only the one shown in the hand, or the largest of the "handled" style.
The tool "surrounds" the pin before being levered to pop it from the body.

--dick

Last edited:

MikeP

First, I know nothing and have often proved it.
Just suggestion, while you have panel off would be a good time to clean and lube the door's release handle mechanism and check it for any damage/ bending.
Good Luck!

ohlsonmh

Grumpy Member
My panel "Volunteered" - those silly plastic 'fasteners' came loose on their own so that the door couldn't be opened except by being inside and holding the panel so it didn't catch on the rear of the opening.

So - taking a hint from a Norwegian coin with a hole in the center - I selected a half-dozen assorted "Quarter" [US 25¢] size coins from an earlier European trip in my Vanagon, polished them, drilled center holes and fastened the panel with sheet-metal SCREWS using these coins as 'washers'.

Looks spiffy, panel is easily removed with a screwdriver, and - another extra cost, "Special Tool". eliminated :cheers:

I particularly like the pre-'euro' french coin which still looks like gold after several years.

-Oly

Maverick922

2020 4x4 Cargo
My panel "Volunteered" - those silly plastic 'fasteners' came loose on their own so that the door couldn't be opened except by being inside and holding the panel so it didn't catch on the rear of the opening.

So - taking a hint from a Norwegian coin with a hole in the center - I selected a half-dozen assorted "Quarter" [US 25¢] size coins from an earlier European trip in my Vanagon, polished them, drilled center holes and fastened the panel with sheet-metal SCREWS using these coins as 'washers'.

Looks spiffy, panel is easily removed with a screwdriver, and - another extra cost, "Special Tool". eliminated :cheers:

I particularly like the pre-'euro' french coin which still looks like gold after several years.

-Oly
Do you have any photos of this?

Thanks

cahaak

My panel also came off a few times and then the green fasteners broke (most of them). My panel is now held in place with 3/4" drywall screws and it works great. My door gets opened and closed something like 20 times a day on average. You can use the coins or washers as noted about or larger flat head screws like the kind that hold cabinets up would work well (at a much shorter length). I think I used 7 screws on the panel. 3 at the top, one on the middle on each side and 2 on the bottom. Bottom is a bit harder to get at and screw into due to the step recess. Works great now and I don't have to worry about hockey bags working the panel loose.

Chris

RedDino

I just got done replacing no fewer than 6 fasteners! The new have a slightly lighter green color, but that doesn't necessarily make them better.
While I had then panel removed I added b-quiet sound insulation and I lubed the lock mechanism using Houdini Lock Lubricant.

Top Bottom