Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
ohlsonmh
Grumpy Member

Default Re: Skreem and ecm reprogramming

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdave View Post
SOS testimonial...fixed my "start error" problem!

short story: intermittent "start error" for 5 months...went terminal. mailed off ecm, skreem box, and keys...week later...starts right up. $350.

long story: febuary this year, 5:30am, four people and camping gear in the van going to yosemite..."start error". WTF! get on the forum, check two year old battery, fuses, ok. jump start...starts up. Go to gas station, fill, "start error". turn key on and off a few times, starts. go to yosemite, stop a few times, no problem. van sits a couple days in freezing temps, starts right up in morning. go to check out of camp ground, "start error". turn on and off a few times, drive home without stopping.

clean up ground straps on engine and firewall. seems to help, "start error" maybe once or so. wedding day in may, bride in gown ready to jump in van to go take pics..."start error". luckily in front of house, wont start for a week.

extra special thanks to whoever suggested SOS (lindenengineering?) i did check voltage at the skreem box, the batt wire was around 12.5v, while the ignition on would start around 12v and go down to like 11.5v. strange. anyhoo, i am thrilled it starts now

will report back if i have any more issues...

extra note: struggled with putting ecm back in the clips. 10 minutes of fussin' n cussin' finally, pop, right in. no idea what i did, but it went in super easy getting it out was not easy either, screwdriver prying on clip i think helped.
Just curious: this sounds a bit like my problem [only started cool - wouldn't start when vehicle "warmish" - around 60º - 70ºF.]

When mine wouldn't start, the A/C fan came on every time. Did that happen with yours?

-Oly
ohlsonmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
davisdave
2005 140 tall passenger

no fan for me. i could see no pattern for its working/not working...hot, cold, battery charger on/off. i wonder what sos does. the items came back with warranty sealing stickers on them, like they open them. seems strange that a "program" can be intermittent
'10 Honda NT700VA
'95 Geo Tracker
davisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,083 Times in 5,896 Posts

Quote:
seems strange that a "program" can be intermittent
You could have a flaky bit that's on the verge of one/zero detection. Warm it's a One, cold it's a zero (or vice versa)
You could have a flaky bit in one of the fuel/load tables that causes a drop-out (or over-squirt) at only one spot in the curve
You could've had a flaky bit in an instruction that caused indeterminate behaviour based upon phase-of-moon (or other sensors)
Quote:
with warranty sealing stickers on them, like they open them.
It could've been a cold solder joint causing mechanically-trigger intermittency

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
angolaron (06-06-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
davisdave
2005 140 tall passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
It could've been a cold solder joint causing mechanically-trigger intermittency
kinda what i was thinking. maybe some little surface mount device craps out when i took the skreem box out of the van, it rattled when i shook it. using several metal shims, i got the plastic box opened without harming the tabs. there was a donut dealie with copper windings that made the rattle (ferrite core noise reduction?). it still rattled when i got it back from sos. either way, i just hope it keeps on working
'10 Honda NT700VA
'95 Geo Tracker
Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
davisdave
2005 140 tall passenger

well, i have had two "start error" episodes out of a couple dozen starts since SOS reprogrammed. The van started both times after turning on and off several times. SOS says my SKREEM box may be going out. I wonder about fuse box #1 because i did see low voltage on the ignition on wire. Perhaps i had multiple issues
'10 Honda NT700VA
'95 Geo Tracker
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
GalaxySprinter

This is an interesting thread indeed. I have an '06 freightliner sprinter with lots of miles on it, start error began occurring intermittently several months ago, now it seems terminal. It has gone to SOS Diag via JC Car Care in Lake Oswego, both outfits come recommended with high confidence. SOS reprogrammed the ECM and SKREEM, ran for a day and start error presented again. Put OE modules back in for refund at SOS, next JC replaced the wiring harness as the connections were suspect. This also has yielded no luck.

Interesting to note a trick Chris at JC showed me, with the key in start position unplugging the ECM from the harness will reset the error and get me running (until the next start).

Any more thoughts on what could be causing this? Fuse block has been mentioned, that was tested by JC and proved to be good and operable. At a loss for what to do with this dud van at this point (insert picture of dude banging head into wall here).

Last edited by GalaxySprinter; 08-05-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: more specifics
GalaxySprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
davisdave
2005 140 tall passenger

My start error problem has become terminal again...luckily in the driveway! I installed a new fuse block #1. I am seeing 12+ volts on pin 7 (ignition on) now. Thats good, but still start error. maybe new skreem box or redo on reprogram?

I had the stuck upper screw on fuse block #1. I put a socket on a drill motor and spun the bolt while pulling the fuse block out by hand. i think i will drill and tap a new hole or use a sheet metal screw to reinstall?

unrelated question: i have seen people (vic) post photocopies of a spiral bound manual...what is that?
'10 Honda NT700VA
'95 Geo Tracker
Old 08-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,236 Times in 9,037 Posts

Quote:
unrelated question: i have seen people (vic) post photocopies of a spiral bound manual...what is that?
This is an canned automated response.

The 2 each spiral bound books are titled:
2001 - 2006 VA Sprinter Body Electrical

2004 - 2006 VA Sprinter OM647 Diesel Fuel System

There is no ISDN number or other ID.

Jon said they came from Tech Authority. He also said they were expensive. You could contact Tech Authority and ask by title I suppose.

Tech Authority Website

https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Country.aspx

On that site I selected "Dodge" and then used "Sprinter" as a search word figuring that would get all the hits.

The descriptions with the red color training manual for a picture seem to be like the spiral bound books I have. I didn't notice any VA series, but there was a VB gas engine training book.

There is a free book Jon pointed out to me here.
https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/...1022&catID=106

Use the flipbook link in the lower left.

Actually the fuel system CD which Doktor A started offering is the same format as my books and contains much of the same information. I recommend that book (on CD). Sprinter Hot Line 412-366-6165. Doktor A

Please don’t contact JD Caples (Jon) because he has no more information than I give here. He really does deserve mention and credit for giving me the books with the thought that I would help people by using them. The books just may not be available anymore?

Most times my attached info from the books start with the page number as a file name.

I often also use the commonly available Sprinter manuals. Max (Maxextz) has a thread with many resources listed. (Thanks Max!) I believe you may find what you need there.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8745

There is also information for NCV3 models posted by HappyFamilyVan here:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10150

If you search within Sprinter-source I'm certain there are more resources.

Before anyone asks, I have been requested by others to copy them to PDF for distribution. I won't do that because I don't feel that was the intent of me receiving them. They are copyrighted material. I feel very comfortable with posting material here and there to help others with specific questions, but even that may be on the edge.

Sorry I don't have more. vic

A possible resource regarding information use.

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Fair Use Notice
This Web site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material available in my efforts to advance understanding of educational, economic, and scientific issues, etc., of batteries and not for profit. I believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the United States Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this Web site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for nonprofit educational purposes. For more information see: www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this Web site for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
davisdave (08-31-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
davisdave
2005 140 tall passenger

So i sent my ecm and skreem back to SOS. Get new skreem box and reprogramming. Go on 400+ mile trip over several days with no problems. Stop half mile from home on the way back...start error. Get new battery, no change, get towed home.

Buy loaner set from SOS and send mine back. Go on 400+ mile trip over several days with no problems. Stop for fuel a few miles from home on way back...start error. Luckily my original had arrived back at home, so wify brings it and i get home.

Chad at SOS says my problem is "interesting" He says a few customers carry a spare ecm and skreem. That would really suck! I asked him about a new ecm...

"A new ECM is not going to help or at least it is very unlikely. That is an expensive gamble to take. The ECM we sent has run several other vans with no faults.
Could be an open or short in the wiring, a bad ignition switch, the fuse box in the column, etc. When these vans get this intermittent “start error” it can be fun to track it down since it only happens briefly after multiple successful starts. Sometimes they will run for months before reappearing.
Send back the other set ASAP so we can get it programmed and ready to go until the fault is found."

It is weird, it used to be more intermittent. It could come and go. Now it seems to work until it doesnt. I also dont get how problems else ware could cause the units to go bad. Is it an amazing coincidence that every time i swap them out it works, until it doesnt. I am in Sprinter Hell
'10 Honda NT700VA
'95 Geo Tracker
Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,236 Times in 9,037 Posts

Quote:
... I am in Sprinter Hell
There is a wire harness under the dash in the general area of the steering column which has a history of chafing through on a bracket. Might be worth looking.

I didn't review this thread.

Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed? Sometimes they can get wired into the CAN bus and affect communication. There has been some history of spurious signals from aftermarket stuff affecting the Sprinters too.

Do you have any other chipped devices on your key ring or stowed anywhere else in proximity to the steering column?

Look for a SKREEM antenna connector or other connector(s) which isn't associated with the SKREEM main plug. Some people have had success removing, cleaning, applying contact cleaner, and re-assembly on connectors. Disconnect the battery negative first.

Sorry I can't offer more. vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote