NCV3 Limp Mode. Need Help

GMTECH

Hello, I am new here and could really use some help with this issue. The van in question is a 2008 dodge sprinter with a 3.0 diesel. (I guess that is obvious).
It belongs to a friend and he just purchased it used. It has 138,000 miles and he has only had it for a month. Several times in the last few days it has gone into limp mode while he was driving. If he pulls over and shuts it off and restarts it, it is normal again. I checked for codes today with my matco generic scanner and there were none.

The previous owner said that he just had both intakes replaced due to swirl valve issues. When I was servicing the fuel/water separator I noticed that only the driver's side intake is new. I am not sure what to think at this point as I am just learning about these vehicles (formerly a GM tech) and have limited diagnostic information. Also, if it helps, it doesn't appear that this van has a dpf system. There is no def tank. I am wondering if it could be an egr issue.

I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on this issue. Thank you very much in advance.

First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the foum. welcome2.gif

The NCV3 Sprinters (2007 - up) are a bit picky about reading codes with the proper tool. There may be codes which you are unable to access.

From what I have read about swirl valve related failures it seems that a problem is usually noticed by the ECM (aka ECU) and a DTC is generally set. Nothing is 100% though.

You mention EGR... there is some history of EGR's affecting operation in the early stages of failure without setting a DTC. They sometimes respond to cleaning, but not as well as the older 2001 - 2003 style EGR's do.

That is information, not intended as a diagnosis. vic

Last edited:

GMTECH

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I appreciate your input. If you or anyone else have additional info or ideas of things that I could test, I would appreciate it.

GMTECH

Here is an update. I was able to pull 3 codes using an OTC scanner.
2208 ESP CAN Brake Signal
2359 Charge Pressure Control
2510 Boost Pressure Regulator Control

When I attempted to view live boost data is was showing 300 psi then -400 psi etc...
Was also showing 24 volts at sensor then 16 volts etc...

I am wondering if the data was just askew due to not using the manufacturer's scan tool.

Either way, if anyone has any tips for these codes, it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

showkey

For future reference:

the 2008 does have a DPF AKA Diesel particulate filter

it does not have a DEF system AKA Diesel exhaust fluid

2359 Charge Pressure Control
2510 Boost Pressure Regulator Control

these two codes have come up before on the forum but I can't seem to find them.....but becareful...........because Sprinters do not always follow the pattern fixes well.

Last edited:

Top Bottom