Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:27 AM   #1
NomadJeep

Default Start Error

So every once and a while, when I turn the key, it reads start error across the screen (odometer screen) Lately it has been doing it a few times a day. Usually it takes 3 or 4 tried before I clears and starts up. Sometimes it will even crank over and just before it starts, it stops and then reads Start Error.

In case any of this info helps. It had a new engine put in about 40k ago and when they did it, they had to put in a new ECM (or whatever MB calls theirs) because it did not jive with the new engine.

Then about 10k ago, I brought it in because the door locks were acting weird and I would have to lock it 3 times with the fob being it would keep unlocking. (sort of like if a door was open) At the dealer they said it needed a module that control that system plus a few others. I had to bring in all the keys to be sure they got programed, and after that repair, the locks have been perfect. ($$)

So, now I get the start error. Not sure if it relates to any of the things I have had done, but wanted to lay it all out there for yaa.

Part that sucks is I know as soon as I bring it in, they will tell me it has nothing to do with the repairs they have done, and probably it wont act up when it is there anyway.... So I have just been putting up with it... most likely until it leaves me stranded some where.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 AM   #2
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,842 Times in 842 Posts
Default Re: Start Error

This happened to me once because of a lazy twist (half-twist) of the key to start the motor. It wouldn't start until I turned it completely off (forget whether I pulled the key out) for 5 seconds and it started right up with a strong twist of the key.

Your start error started after this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadJeep View Post
Then about 10k ago, I brought it in because the door locks were acting weird and I would have to lock it 3 times with the fob being it would keep unlocking. (sort of like if a door was open) At the dealer they said it needed a module that control that system plus a few others. I had to bring in all the keys to be sure they got programed, and after that repair, the locks have been perfect. ($$)
...or did it exist before it?

The dealer is talking about the "Central Timer Module" that is located underneath the driver's seat that controls the door locks and some other things that escapes me. Maybe you can remove the base of your seat and wiggle some connectors to see if you can duplicate that start error. Do you have the service manual?
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #3
NomadJeep

Thanks for the help, to answer your questions.

The half turns and what not, when it does it, I usually take the key out all together. I even switched keys to one of the others I have. Usually this how it happens.

I get in, put the key in, look at the glow plug twist, and when off, turn the key. Start Error. If I just keep trying to turn the key it never works. So I pull it out, flip it, or just wait a few seconds and try again. Sometimes it starts right after that, however lately it has been doing it for about 4 times and then it starts up. I have never really counted if I wait 5 seconds, but I will give it a shot tomorrow.

As for the Central Unit, they did replace it, at the tune of around $600, and to be honest I am not 100% but I really don't recall it doing the start error before they worked on it. If it did, it was infrequent enough that I do not recall it. Will also try wiggling though.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:25 AM   #4
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,842 Times in 842 Posts

Looking at the service manual, some inputs to the Central Timer Module is definitely coming from the key (start).

Here's a diagram of where it is...
ctm.JPG
...not very descriptive, so I hope it helps.

One way to test it is to remove the connectors from the CTM and try to turn the key to see if it generates the same error. Only thing is I don't know if it will store the error where you will have to have a visit with a dealer to reset it.

Do you have a code reader and does it generate any codes?

My start error didn't leave any hanging lights in the instrument panel, so I didn't bother to see if there were any codes generated.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
mean_in_green
>1,800,000m in MB vans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadJeep View Post
When mine does that, I clean the electrical contact plates in the door jambs and also the electrical plunger contacts mounted in the doors.

This restores normal locking operation.

Over time they develop a surface of corrosion which stops the central locking behaving properly.

I sincerely hope you haven't been charged to have the same problem rectified.

Best regards,

Simon
mean_in_green is offline   Reply With Quote