scaner recomed? SGII, Buly Dog, other?

Legwound

Okay I have a 2010 with the basic gage package, not even an engine temperature gage.

I figure it's time to monitor what's going on. I see Scan Gage II come up a lot, and have seen mention of Bully Dog.

I'm not even sure what I especially need to monitor versus what's just nice to monitor.

I'd like to see oil pressure, boost, engine temperature

Fuel pressure would be nice. Anything else I should keep my "finger on the pulse" monitoring?

Is there an advantage of one over another.

I'm not rich but my preference is to buy the right piece, not the chaepest. I'm willing to spend a little more if warranted, but prefer to spend my money wisely.

So how about some suggested options and pro's/con's

thanks, thanks, and thanks

sailquik

Hi Legwound,
With any of the popular electronic OBD-II driven performance monitoring gauge systems you will not get oil pressure.
Your Sprinter has no sensor for oil pressure.
Monitoring boost is good, if there is a power issue, but perhaps the more important PID is the % engine LOaD.
%LOD is a direct indication of the current demand on your engine (at the current RPMs).
Lower RPMs mean lower power, and often lugging along at < the max. torque RPMs results in significantly increased
%LOD which is translated by your ECM to more fuel, more turbo boost, higher fuel and boost pressures and less overall
fuel efficiency.
The best overall compromise (in my experience with T1N OM-647 and NCV3 OM-642 engines) is to run at or above the
max torque RPMs (~2400) and < the max. horsepower RPMs (3250 for the OM-647 T1N and 3600 for the OM-642 NCV3 V6.
I have a Scan Gauge II with the latest firmware upgrade, a Dash DAQ w GPS, and an Ultra Gauge EM.
Never tried the Bully Dog, but beyond EGT (which I do not believe there is any known/specified value (normal/too high) for on a
Sprinter) it gives pretty much the same PIDs as the other 3.
Ultra Gauge EM and Dash DAQ offer more displays, but I can set the Scan Gauge II to read all the same things with the
easy to cycle through front mounted buttons.
I currently use the Scan Gauge II exclusively on a 2012 NCV3 V6 3.0 liter OM-642!
Roger

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Here's a current thread discussing the UltraGauge
(there's also the DashDAQ)

me? I have the ScanGauge, but i've got a T1N

--dick

pfflyer

Here's a current thread discussing the UltraGauge
(there's also the DashDAQ)

me? I have the ScanGauge, but i've got a T1N

--dick
Also have a T1n and am happy with the Scan Gauge II to monitor vitals and fuel economy. I am monitoring and following Rogers (Sailquik) reccomendations. Still on my first tank and Scan Guage may not be completely calibrated but I can see an improvement in fuel economy and performance(downshifting on hills and monitoring %load). From other posts the fuel economy buttons on the Ultra gauge are on the back. Sounds like you are not going to be watching fuel economy so it might not be an issue with you. Scan Gauge was easy to set up and has alot of features which I am sure the Ultra Gauge has too. From my research Bully Dog is a programer as well. I was not interested in that and all buttons up front is why I picked the SGII. Got mine from Autozone for $129 with free shipping.
Good luck

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Re: scaner recomed Buly Dog

I have a 2010 with the basic gage package, not even an engine temperature gage. I figure it's time to monitor what's going on and have seen mention of Bully Dog. I'm not rich but my preference is to buy the right piece, not the chaepest. I'm willing to spend a little more if warranted, but prefer to spend my money wisely.
http://youtu.be/v477KF6Ci4c

For the past 5 years, I use this. :popcorn:

Your NCV 3 has 2 factory pyrometers the Bully dog reads both, no extra parts required, egt, #1 is more relevant.
I read 4 functions just like 4 gauges, boost, egt#1, water temp and load supported with a dial and graphing.
I use mine to clear engine fault codes, you can set warning alarms for any parameter, lots of other functions.

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

The bullydog has a better looking screen, and can be modified to show the gauges you're interested in. I don't know about the better or worse compatability of either. I use a blue tooth adapter and an app for my Android device called Torque (free).

Legwound

Thanks to all for chipping in.

Dick (autostaretx) I didn't see the link you are referring to, could you please repost.

Until the last two posts I was leaning towards scan gage 2 but the bully dog display does appeal. A consideration I have to make is for my wife who will also drive. My experience has taught me that interfaces that aren't intuitive will reap anger and frustration that will usually end up pointed at me.

So here is where I reveal my complete acronym ignorance and ask questions that are normally held back out of embarrassment. Internet anonymity has advantages.

What is PID

What is EGT? Exhaust gas temp? I'm new to diesels and boosted engines, can I assume their importance is an indicator of air fuel ratio?

I'm also curious how load is sensed and how it is displayed, torque, other?

What do you display on your android besides what is displayed on the Bully Dog.

I have an iPhone mounted on the upper half of the driver side center console heat vent which would be a great place to display additional info if an equivalent app is available for apple. For anyone interested I'm using a Kuda mount which is really good and available for all popular phones (Kudausa.com)

I'll also likely travel with an apple mac pro for photo processing as one of the reasons I bought the vehicle is to do extended photo trips and windows based computing has always been more work for me even though I use both platforms. So anyway the point of that was that if I needed to delve deeper into issues at the side of the road it would be through a Mac. Compatibility or lack of will also influence my decision.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Dick (autostaretx) I didn't see the link you are referring to, could you please repost.
Whoops... sorry 'bout that...
Let's see... which one was it?
This one? https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22837 (dashdaq)
or this one: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19539 (dashdaq)

Ah! This one: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25704 (ultragauge)
What is PID
"parameter identification numbers" ... the code that the scanner puts on the signal lines to elicit a particular parameter read-back.

It's all (overly) explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

EGT is, indeed, Exhaust Gas Temperature

I prefer the ScanGauge for the fact that its buttons are on the front... tap on one to cycle that line's display through the available 20-odd parameters.
For me, just a line of numbers is more quickly readable than a "gauge"... but if you're looking for trending, a wiggling needle may be your cup of tea.

--dick

sailquik

According to the engineers @ Linear Logic (manufacturer's of the Scan Gauge II, the %LOD reading on a Scan Gauge II is current % engine Load (@ the current RPM) that is being reported by the sensors to the ECM (Engine Control Module or the Sprinter's mail computer that makes all the engine management decisions for you.
So, the ECM takes the current %LOD data and makes changes to the fueling rate (based on your input with the throttle pedal (actually the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) that is attached to the pedal that provides an electronic signal to the ECM telling it you want more power, less power, or the same amount of power.
If the fueling rate increases, you get more power, and the ECM also signals the Turbocharger vane actuator to increase your boost pressure level to balance the increased fueling rate.
AFAIK, there is not currently definitive data as to what EGT is OK, and what EGT is too high.
I'm sure that if there are 2 EGT temp sensors in the NCV3 Blue Tech exhaust system, the data reported to the ECM is processed and goes into the overall data mix that the ECM uses to determine what fueling and boost rates are needed and if a DPF regenerationis needed with the current overall operating conditions.
Roger

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I use a Scan Gage II in a 08 Sprinter that is loaded to within 500 lbs of its maximum capacity. It is set to read Load,Map,Water Temp and Voltage. The main use of the gage is watching LOD (load). I prefer not to have the engine strain at peak loads where the Map (manifold air pressure) is at a maximum and LOD is at 99%. In my opinion the transmission is improperly programmed in a Sprinter. The transmission lets the engine operate for extended periods at full power and pressure and does not shift down to a lower gear soon enough. So it is an automatic transmission that is not automatic and must be manually downshifted to protect the engine. Sailquik has done the homework to prove the relationship that exists between LOD and fuel economy. Keep LOD reading on the Scan Gage down will increase your fuel economy. I regularly downshift as I start up a hill to avoid the 99% load. I do not bother with trying to watch MPG readouts. Watching Map is not of much use since you have no control of the function. I think it will be useful if you have a power problem and can see that the Map is not in its normal range. Water temperature is important. The Sprinter does not have excess radiator capacity. In 100 degree ambient temperatures and high loads the temperature will rise very quickly. Mine normally runs at 193 degrees with the first electric fan coming on at 205 degrees and the second at 215 degrees. At that point you need to reduce the load. The Sprinter also will run below the 193 degrees in cold weather (even in mild California). I have the optional Espar water heater that I use in cold weather to get the engine up to the proper operating temperature. The voltage also fluctuates a lot in a Sprinter. You can see the effects of using headlights,the dash air blower and the automatic electric air heater. Again it should be useful in troubleshooting if it does not have the normal voltage readings.

Legwound

Okay I think I'm good on scanners and will be looking for deals on the Bully Dog watchdog and the Scan Gage II. Looking at the Bully Dog site they have a tuner/monitor for deisels (which after some brief research doesn't work on sprinters). I talked to a tech there and they have a plug in module that does have a custom tune which has lead me to look at tuning, which I think is a whole other can of worms.

From what I've found with searches on the forum it seems to be something unspoken.

Since I plan on driving this sprinter for a few decades I'm thinking a tune that helps mileage would pay for itself. Since I'm in Canada with fairly rigorous emissions testing I'm also thinking DPF delete might not be a good thing. I'll admit to knowing very little on the subject.

So is there any consensus on tunes for newer sprinters or is this a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of situation.

I'm hungry to learn. If this is a verboten subject I'd e happy to take input via private message if anyone wwere so inclined....

thanks

Tuning newer sprinters can not be done via the obd port, at least not yet and probably never. It can be done but the only way to tune them is to open the ecu and bench flash it.

They can be worth it from what I read but sending in your ecu and living without a van until it comes back is a pain. You will not find much opposition to tuning on this forum but there is opposition to egr and dpf deletes so don't bother asking a about those.

Last edited:

showkey

Tuning newer sprinters can not be done via the obd port, at least not yet and probably never. It can be done but the only way to tune them is to open the ecu and bench flash it.

One other way is the Bully Dog and a few others that jump into the engine wire harness with plug and play box to mod the fueling with no mod to the ECU. May or may not be perfect but it is out there and can be undone in 60 seconds.

Example:http://upscaleauto.com/sprinter_power_module_chip.htm

Last edited:
Thanks showkey, I had heard they were working on such units but had not heard they were available for the sprinters. I think I would still prefer to tune the ecu but at least there is other options now.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Will any of these units reset the 10000 mile service display?
Short answer: No.

Long answer:
I'm not 100.000% certain, but i'd guess with 99.95% confidence that none of the "OBD only" devices can reset the Sprinter's miles-to-service display.

Remember that the OBD units are reporting a "lowest common denominator" set of messages.
The Sprinter's miles-to-service is very proprietary (i.e. uses some bizarre protocol/messaging to reset to "zero" (10,000)), so it's far outside the non-Sprinter-specific diagnostic scanners.

Consider that the OBD units can only do one thing to the vehicle: clear the error codes.
The miles-to-service is not an "error code", so it's not bothered by that command.

--dick

Legwound

so on the question of piggy back tuners, I've seen the one from Upscale, Bully Dog also has one and I'm fairly certain there will be a few more.

How does one determine if they are any good, and if so which one to buy.

Myself I'm uncomfortable with a bench flash.

Top Bottom