HELP!! Mechanic says Blown engine...probably scored cylinder wall

Mattcianci

Driving down the expressway... engine started to knock and lose power. Pulled over idled off the road.... turned it off waited for the tow truck. Don't remember any smoke. It started an idled find to get it on the flat bed tow truck. Towed in to the shop. Started at least once at the shop but "according to them" it was smoking so bad they had to move it outside. Then wouldn't start again.. wouldn't crank fast enough to start again they put in brand new starter and same problem.... they think it lost an injector washed the cylinder and scored the cylinder wall and piston. I bought the truck 3 months ago it has 175,000 miles on it.... what do I do now...:idunno::idunno::idunno::idunno:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
They need to put a Sprinter compatible ODBII reader on it and see what P codes it has thrown. I realize it may feel like the engine, but it could be anything and odds are good the reader will get you on the right path. Just replacing parts is no way to approach finding out what is wrong.

lindenengineering

I have one that exhibits the same in my shop.
Basically the excessive blow by is pumping oil into the turbo inlet.
Result lots of smoke and oil deposits all over the engine compartment
A scan shows injector faults on #1 cylinder amongst other related P codes.

A teardown has revealed an excessively worn cylinder on #1 and a #3 not far behind it!

At this stage a sample of the crankcase oil is being analyzed for fuel and metal/dust content etc.

Based upon a final engine analysis the engine will either replaced or reman'd in house.
Dennis

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
Whatever you decide, Call Doktor A before you spend a lot of money. He has every replacement part up to a reman engine ready to go.

Whatever you decide, Call Doktor A before you spend a lot of money. He has every replacement part up to a reman engine ready to go.
+1 :thumbup:

And I would like to add that if you do need another engine from Doktor A I would strongly recommend spending any shipping money toward getting the Sprinter to Doktor A rather than getting the engine shipped to some joker less experienced technician for installation. :2cents:

Good luck. vic

1cylshort

...of a full Cummins.
If you're close to Toledo / Detroit, WAYNERODD, a member here, is an excellent choice as well. I have personal experience with his abilities.

People ship him dead sprinters from all over for revival.

Not to dis Dr A, however...

Top Bottom