Wiper blade chatter

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
I was having trouble with my drivers side wiper chattering on the return swing. I bought new ANCO blades and I'm having the same problem. I've cleaned my windshield the best that I could. Does anyone have any suggestions? The chatter is sitting still or driving. Thanks!

Andyandyandy

2005 Cargo 2500
One of mine does this a bit. I think the arm might be twisted or bent a bit as the wiper blade doesn't sit quite perpendicular to the glass. I should try straightening it out sometime. Also, with long blades like these, you want something that can maintain even pressure over the full length. Maybe someone could suggest a good blade to try.

nathanhdunn

2017 319 v6 ex-ambo
It'll be the angle, I've seen this on many types of vehicle. I normally grab 2 big shifters and twist the arm a little. (the second shifter is so you don't put force on the pivot mount). however on my new-to-me sprinter the arm was too strong, I had to bend the blade mount cage a little. Bend it little by little until the blade flops to the trailing position on both the up and down stroke.

B

boxcar

Was just thinking about this these past few weeks. No brand of blade tried yet... not Trico Force or ANCO or even Bosch (the latest instalment) is resolving those pesky, back-sweeping wiper chatters, especially on the driver's side. Have thought about attempting to twist the wiper arm a tad though I'm rather like a bull in a china shop, over-torquing stuff & it breaks too often. Maybe I'll get braver soon. The novelty has worn off long ago. Gettin' 'spensive as well.

.... Maybe "Blade" can suggest a blade
if'ins he can dig himself out of the Danger Zone long enough, heh!

dickknapp

dickknapp
Have seen several folks complain of the same. Mine chattered and after reading of other's success here, I used 2 big crescent wrenches to twist the arm such that the wiper went to 90 degrees with the windshield. No more problem.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Considering the fact there are two sizes for each side, no chattering can occur if blades are in perfect to good condition, however if older the rubber has gone hard, perished, or even as stiff as a rock even:rolleyes: then they will chatter to each other like two birds in harmony,Change them...... "PS it helps if the screen is wet".:tongue:
IMG_0019 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0018 (Custom).JPG

B

boxcar

Considering the fact there are two sizes for each side, no chattering can occur if blades are in perfect to good condition...
.... Respectfully, friend, they can & do in my experiences from the outset, thrice now. Only when a copious amount of water is on my windshield will they not do as described, even when brand-spankin' new. A tad frustrating, when allowed to be
though this is my problem... at least, one of several. Am hereby inspired from others posting here to attempt a slight rebending of the arm soon in an attempt to resolve the tolerable though annoying occurances as described. Prayers appreciated.

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
New :hmmm: Poorly assembled, or uneven glass :idunno: Now there is glass and there is glass different countries with different curves. or an off set screen at installation:shifty: ...Rust on one side! none on the other ?.."the mystery deepens"
Must be the weather.
DSC00972 (Custom).JPG

DSC00969 (Custom).JPG
Must take a trip over the mountain to Foggyville, and test them again:dripsarcasm:Is that a crack I see in the screen.:popcorn:

alan_f

2006 Roadtrek RS
I recently went through 3 different designs of wiper blades: Bosch, Napa AccuFit and Napa ExactFit. The first two missed large portions of the windshield entirely so I exchanged them, but all of them chattered on the return. I was thinking the windshield had some kind of residue on it like Rain-X or wax that was causing it, but thinking about it now, that would cause them to chatter both directions.

I think I'll try the arm twist as I don't think the blades are flipping correctly -- question is, where do you try to twist them? I suppose the longer section of the arm you try to twist, the easier it'll be? One wrench down by the pivot and one up near the end?

-Alan

shortshort

Dis member
Don't mean to twist your arm, but that is exactly the issue you need to address. Put the wrenches about 3" apart on the longest section. It takes some serious tweaking to get any movement, so twist...test...twist...

alan_f

2006 Roadtrek RS
Worked like a charm -- I just found two spots where I could get adjustable wrenches on (no plastic bits) and twisted a bit -- no more chatter!

glasseye

Frito's had it since new. Same thing - driver's side only. I think it's related to the length of the arm and, as others have posted, non-perpendicular blade attack angle.

I've never had the courage to bend my blade arm. I just live with it. Shooting some soapy windshield washer fluid frequently stops it, at least temporarily.

One day, I'll scrounge an arm from a wreck and twist it, just to see if it helps. :idunno:

Various blades all have all shown the same problem, although some of the newer formulations with teflon (PTFE) might work. As Vic says "I have no data"

Anyway, you're in the desert. Whaddya you care? :)

B

billintomahawk

Frito's had it since new. Same thing - driver's side only. I think it's related to the length of the arm and, as others have posted, non-perpendicular blade attack angle.

I've never had the courage to bend my blade arm. I just live with it. Shooting some soapy windshield washer fluid frequently stops it, at least temporarily.

One day, I'll scrounge an arm from a wreck and twist it, just to see if it helps. :idunno:

Various blades all have all shown the same problem, although some of the newer formulations with teflon (PTFE) might work. As Vic says "I have no data"

Anyway, you're in the desert. Whaddya you care? :)
Like seven days of rain here...wet as heck.

Wish you were here.

bill

glasseye

Like seven days of rain here...wet as heck.
Wish you were here.
bill
So do I!

Beautiful! I can smell the air from here. Nothing like after-the-rain smells in the desert.

Unfortunately, I'm going nowhere soon. The current travel rules are so restrictive, they're even thinking of forbidding interprovincial travel.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
I had it bad, and I twisted the arm with a friend's pair of Knipex pliers (great design, two planes exerting equal force and no teeth so as to bite up the arms).

Just do it.

It's not like most of us don't have the time right now.

Life's to short for wiper chatter.

B

billintomahawk

Well I twisted mine with two adjustable wrenches, passangers side counterclockwise looking from the passanger's side end.

Seems better with windshield wiper squirters wetting the glass.

Time and travel will tell.

I do have ear plugs for motorcycling.

bill

dickknapp

dickknapp
I did the 2 wrench twist several years ago. Tried it gingerly first time with no success. A later try with some muscle in it solved the chatter to this day :)

Top Bottom