OEM window install cut

Turbo John

Does anybody have an OEM window in their van that could tell me if the factory cut was made to the double thick pinch weld either beyond or less or exactly on that winch weld?

I purchased the OEM slider for behind the driver ( smaller window) about 42"x24"

I do not want to make a mistake and all I can find on the forum is aftermarket window install details.

The factory slider come with a large rubber gasket as many of you know.

The best idea would be from somebody either who has done it or has a 2003-2007 model with a factory window. All you would have to do is lift up the rubber to see where the factory cut is.

Any help is always appreciated.:thumbup:

Thanks John

wyoohio

Did you ever figure this out?

I am attempting the same thing.

I cut to the pinch weld and I cannot get the window to install.

I mangled the seal and had to order a new one.

Do you have any pointers?

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
A friend and I are going to install the OEM windows in our cargo doors. I would like to know this info too before we totally screw up a Sprinter cargo door.
Thank you for any advice.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I could swear that my (frequently mistaken) memory says that the bodies are built/welded differently when MB prepares them for factory-installed windows (to maintain body strength, since the monocoque shell is compromised by the window hole).
If i recall correctly, the pinch weld is brought out to the window edge, compared to a narrow weld for a cargo (no window) panel.

... at least in the T1N

--dick

Can someone help with this. I want to do the same. I'm afraid to order OEM windows and not be able to get them in. I am also concerned about where to cut. Wade

bc339

This was taken from the Sprinter Body Builders handbook:
13.7.2 Windows
If box sections are cut through the side-walls for the installation of windows, the cut-outs must be reinforced with extruded/stamped frames and welded to the cut–through channels. Reinforce the connections points with gusset plates!Ensure windows comply with all applicable laws and regulations.

The guide can be found here, under post #6: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8745

This was found in a more recent version - slightly different:

Windows must be inserted with a stable frame. The frame must then be joined by a non-positive attachment to other body elements.If modifications need to be carried out to the supporting structure of the basic vehicle (pillars, reinforcements, at-tachment of roof arches) in order to retrofit windows (panorama glazing), the rigidity of the modified body must be equal to that of the basic vehicle.

This document can be found here: https://bb-portal.mercedes-benz.com/techdaten/mbasdata/prd/ar_kat/DE/en/arl_sprinter_en.pdf

This link will get you to other guides: https://bb-portal.mercedes-benz.com/portal/newstrapo.0.html?&L=1

Bruce

Last edited:
So this is suggesting that a window sprinter body is differently built than a windowless? I'm sure its possible but is this true? This would suggest that I cannot install a factory window. They are not supported by a frame. Its just glass and a gasket.

jfreeth

I installed these crlaurence.com windows in a 2008 170 2500, the catalog description is below. I followed the pinch line with a pneumatic nibbler, as directed. The window has an aluminum inner and outer frame that pinch the oem stamping to the exterior panel. The installation was uneventful as I followed instructions listed on this forum. The fixed, glued in place, windows need a bit more skill, a high pressure caulking gun and interior edge trim. I practiced installing a new windshield in an old Jeep and had problems with standoff height as I didn't have the spacers recommended.

This info only applies to 2008+ NCV3 windows

Catalog Number: FW612L
'All-Glass' Look Frames
Fits 2007+ Models
Windows to Fit Years '03-06 Also Available
28% Dark Gray Glass
No Layout Required, Use OEM Stampings for Cut Line

The all-new Sprinter now has CRL 'All-Glass' Look Sprinter Van Windows to complement this great design. Our windows are configured to fit within the OEM stampings and provide a customized OEM look. This great feature eliminates the time consuming efforts of laying out where the window will be installed. Just line it up to cut, starting on the upper inner dimple and follow along the OEM stamping.

nctrailseeker

jfreeth,

Any pics of this window installed in your '08/170 ? I'm curious about the finished look, and I have the same van.:hmmm:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
All you would have to do is lift up the rubber to see where the factory cut is.
On my pasenger wagon, it's not that simple... the internal plastic trim goes under the rubber gasket too... so if you lift the rubber, all you see is plastic.
The plastic trim is about 3 inches wide, and it's very difficult to tell where the pillar's body metal bends out to the wall.
When i was drilling that area to install my PlusNuts, my first attempt only found plastic, not pillar... i had to drill further from the window hole.
(what i was adding: http://rseymour.home.wolfenet.com/sprinter/ )

--dick

Turbo John

I cut mine to the pinch weld and the rubber fit perfect....the window install was for the Driver Side MB Factory Slider.....I did a write up on it.....

picotfloyd

Turbo John,
I bought a 24x42 window from an ebay breaker shop and I am trying to source the gasket for the installation, where did you get the gasket you were talking about here? My van is a 2006 140"WB 2500 Sprinter, so the glass sounds just like what you have in yours.
Thanks,
Picot

ktm 300

I have purchased the oem glass and gaskets for an 04 140" T1N to install in my 04 140"cargo. I had my glass guy examine the glass,gasket, and the embossed ares in the slider(rt side) and the panel directly behind the driver. After examining the gasket and glass he advised me to cut the opening 1/4" less than the glass size all the way around. Worst case (I hope) is that I will have to make the hole larger. Let you know in a week after she gets new paintand the windows installed!

Turbo John

I have purchased the oem glass and gaskets for an 04 140" T1N to install in my 04 140"cargo. I had my glass guy examine the glass,gasket, and the embossed ares in the slider(rt side) and the panel directly behind the driver. After examining the gasket and glass he advised me to cut the opening 1/4" less than the glass size all the way around. Worst case (I hope) is that I will have to make the hole larger. Let you know in a week after she gets new paintand the windows installed!
If its factory glass.........cut it to the pinch weld....no more and no less or you will have a problem......the factory glass and the factory rubber and the factory pinch weld are all a perfect fit the way they were designed for......I would not trust some glass man and what they think....ask another glass man and he will tell you something else.....

Turbo John

Turbo John,
I bought a 24x42 window from an ebay breaker shop and I am trying to source the gasket for the installation, where did you get the gasket you were talking about here? My van is a 2006 140"WB 2500 Sprinter, so the glass sounds just like what you have in yours.
Thanks,
Picot
If you did not buy the factory made for that opening I cannot help you with any information.
I bought the mercedes factory glass with the rubber that went with that window and I got a perfect match.
The first rubber they sent was wrong......its all kinda confusing and you are on your own unless you stick with the factory or an aftermarket kit made for each other.......you buy glass without the rubber to go with it and it could be a problem

ktm 300

Had to enlarge the cut out to the pinch weld. Sanded the cut, painted, and installed the oem glass and gasket for an 04 passenger into my 04 cargo. The windows involved are the panel behind the driver seat and the slider behind the co-pilot seat.

Top Bottom