EGR- clean or replace?

dubyajayes

dubyajayes
Is there a service interval for cleaning or replacement of the EGR. I have an 08 Sprinter 3500 (3.0 diesel) and would like to avoid high cost repairs if I can take care of problem areas before they affect other costly items. I've checked with my local dealership, EGRs are not cheap either. Any suggestions on other suppliers? I don't have any problems now, no codes, etc. Just looking to avoid trouble.
walt

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Is there a service interval for cleaning or replacement of the EGR. I have an 08 Sprinter 3500 (3.0 diesel) and would like to avoid high cost repairs if I can take care of problem areas before they affect other costly items. I've checked with my local dealership, EGRs are not cheap either. Any suggestions on other suppliers? I don't have any problems now, no codes, etc. Just looking to avoid trouble.
walt
My second EGR valve has been on longer than my original EGR valve. Try not to borrow too much trouble from the future.

For 2008 Sprinters in the US and Canada

EGR Valve cleaning is not documented as a procedure.
EGR Valve cleaning is not performed at a regular interval.

Replacement is usually prescribed.

Some members have cleaned theirs with success.

I think one of us does it every 5,000 miles, but I can't remember who wrote it or if it was longer than every 5,000 miles.

I plan to deal with it if it happens again, but I am not specifically planning to deal with it.

-Jon

lindenengineering

For info
The BG group who make all sorts of auto chemicals/additives have recently introduced a carbon release soak specifically for EGR modules found on a variety of diesel engines these days the Sprinter model lines included. These chemical baths are very toxic and care has to be used when cleaning the module parts and not contaminating the electrical sections/plastic housings etc.

In fact I have just been introduced to a new vapor dispenser for injecting their special carbon release "yum yum cleaning agents into inlet manifolds to clear the swirl valves & porting including EGR's.
Very impressive but spendy at about $1750 for the kit plus the liquids.

Certainly a specialty tool for shops like mine.
Still better than tearing the whole inlet manifolding lot down for a de-coke.
Dennis

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
EGR clean only when required

Is there a service interval for cleaning or replacement of the EGR. I have an 08 Sprinter 3500 (3.0 diesel) I don't have any problems now, no codes, etc. Just looking to avoid trouble.
walt
No.
I agree with Jon, solve a problem, if your Sprinter is running fine let it roll wait till you have an issue and if you never have one that's best. There has to be a limited number of times you can clean each egr valve. Be nice to the valve finish, all hoses and connectors, keep the degreaser away for the egr valve motor and all electrics because collateral damage from your own hand sucks.

I just completed my 2nd valve cleaning, in both cases I was solving an issue, a slow decrease in mpg's and increase in egt's with rough running and sluggishness.

Simple procedure: Disconnect power post, egr harness, remove both coolant lines (catch coolant), remove oil filler bolt, wiggle the valve out and carefully clean only the port and impeller. I am using only de-greaser* and last step a soft rag, 4 applications compressed air and finally wipe clean. The machine finish on the valve should not be scratched with a wire brush or worse (seems like this would allow deposits to stick more), reverse steps to install the valve.

*Zep Commercial Fast 505 Industrial Cleaner and Degreaser, 128 oz Item number: 6922165
(Osh)Sale Price $2.99 (this stuff worked great maybe 10, 4 application valve cleanings per bottle)

Last edited:

suzieque

In fact I have just been introduced to a new vapor dispenser for injecting their special carbon release "yum yum cleaning agents into inlet manifolds to clear the swirl valves & porting including EGR's.
Very impressive but spendy at about $1750 for the kit plus the liquids.
probably expensive to do a tear down and cleaning and reinstall of the manifolds including the risk of breaking something.

I recall those carbon cleaning systems that used a tiny camera to show before and after views of the combustion chamber, looked impressive.

T.J.T

Even when it becomes a problem a "cleaning" only bought me 10,000 km, and I would get the same error. I did this twice then I bought a new one (well warranty did) and its been running for 40k without a hicup.

Top Bottom