2012 Sprint "Mobis Radio 5" aux menu options?

pele

2012 2500 HR 144"
I'm trying to bring up the "aux" menu on my Mobis Radio 5. Regardless if i have an aux cable connected should I be able to see the "EXT" option? The 2012 Mercedes Radio Manual on page 32 says it quite simply, "Press the CD button until EXT shows on the screen".

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...es_Benz_Sprinter_Operators_Manual_Sound_5.pdf

I've pressed the CD button about 100 times and get nothing...just "NO CD"

So where did I go wrong? Is this a Mercedes dealer software reprogram thing I have to take my van in for a reprogram and if so, will they charge me?

pele

2012 2500 HR 144"
Sounds lame...guess I better make a phone call and decide if it's cheaper to drive to a sprinter dealer or buy a new radio and sell this one.

Alex_cad

Sounds lame...guess I better make a phone call and decide if it's cheaper to drive to a sprinter dealer or buy a new radio and sell this one.
You have to reprogram your radio. The same sh*t happened to me.
It's basically 1 minute procedure, and it can be done by any one who has a MB Star scanner.
I've borrowed the scanner from my body and did it by my self....

pele

2012 2500 HR 144"
yowza! MB Star scanner is around $400? They don't have an iPad app for that yet?

atulin

I'll sell you my sound 5 and the aux cable for $125. I had the dealer turn on the aux function and I assume that is controlled in the radio and not some other module. The Aux cable is about $50 if I remember correctly.

pele

2012 2500 HR 144"
ermm..I bought an aux cable for $4.57 on amazon...took 3 minutes to pop the radio out. $125 based on principal I would rather sell the van than put up with walled gardens of technology.

atulin

ermm..I bought an aux cable for $4.57 on amazon...took 3 minutes to pop the radio out. $125 based on principal I would rather sell the van than put up with walled gardens of technology.
It's interesting that cable would work on a 2012. I thought the Becker radios were all on pre 2010 models. Glad to here it worked for you.

K-9 SPRINTER

It's interesting that cable would work on a 2012. I thought the Becker radios were all on pre 2010 models. Glad to here it worked for you.

My sound 5 was a 2010,I bought the cable from MB, (Chris Case) and the dealership I bought the van from (MB of Georgetown)activated the Aux function for free.... you can buy mine also, for $125,including the cable

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
Hey Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had success activating the AUX menu on their later model (Mobis) Sound 5?

I pulled mine out of the dash today (2011 144" Crew), installed the AUX cable (which is essentially a Left/Right/Ground wire in a molex-style connector) and routed the 1/8" mini to feed through a 1/2" hole I drilled in the back of my cubby just below the radio. But I was unable to get any AUX menu to pop up on the radio, as I'd hoped might happen after installing the cable.

After reading a couple of threads on this I'm unclear if this can actually be programmed or not. Anyone out there actually get their Mobis/Hyundai (not becker) radio programmed by the dealer and working?

Thanks,

-Kenny C.
NYC

sailquik

If you can't get it working, drive over to Sun Motor Cars in Mechanicsburg, PA.
They did the AUX In in my 2012 170" 3500 NCV3 and it works perfectly.
The guys a Becker Auto Sound may also be able to do it as they sell the cable/connector.
Roger

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
If you can't get it working, drive over to Sun Motor Cars in Mechanicsburg, PA.
They did the AUX In in my 2012 170" 3500 NCV3 and it works perfectly.
The guys a Becker Auto Sound may also be able to do it as they sell the cable/connector.
Roger
Thanks, Roger.

I called my dealer on this a couple of weeks ago. They are a big truck Freightliner dealer, and they admitted they didn't have a lot of experience in this request. The service manager was really nice, but wrote to me and said with my van it should work without any programming. When I explained it wasn't allowing me to enter into AUX mode as it were, he said to install the cable and report back. So.... yesterday I installed the cable, and there was no change, with still no ability to call up the AUX menu. I can't do anything about it until next week at the earliest, but while I have a quiet Memorial Day weekend to shop around, I'm wondering if I should focus my efforts elsewhere and need to start looking for a better sound system.

I'm sure in this day and age I'm not the only one who wants to connect their phone/ipod device into their van, so wanted to hear from anyone who has done it successfully with the "MOBIS" (Hyundai) Sound 5, the unit I definitely have.

-Kenny C.
NYC

kimmy

I have 2011 sound20, and I think it's Alpine, can this have aux input too? and do you have the part #, thanks a lot

Attachments

David Brown

Hi-
I just got a 2013 Sprinter with a sound 5 radio. I put in the cable as described in this forum as I did on my 2008 Sprinter and found that there was no aux option as others have described. After making an appointment with the dealer for next week, I found the instructions below on this website: http://www.mercedes.gen.in/WP35/mercedes-benz-sound-5-ha1111-hidden-test-mode-menu/
The Mercedes Sound 5 radio/cd Mobis HA1111 unit fitted to later Vito and Sprinter models has the ability to handle external wired audio input and can be modified as shown in this earlier post. What had been assumed at the time of writing was that the radio could only be activated to allow this option using the MB dealer STAR plug in diagnostic tool.
Thanks to a reader of the original post (Mark) who discovered a manual way of activating the AUX mode through access to the radios hidden ‘Test Mode’ without using the MB Star dealer setup. Thanks again for this Mark ! There are other interesting options available to access through this menu too that I hope to investigate further given time. Response to this post has highlighted that there is a possibility current radios of this model (Model years 2012/2013-on) have the manual ‘front panel’ test mode disabled – Sadly if this is the case, you will have to take a trip to your dealer to have your chosen functions enabled via MB Star.
Mark’s original instructions are posted below along with a video that I made to show how to access the Test Mode and what was available once selected. I have made a listing of the available headings within the test mode scroll adding notation to the individual settings if known.
There are a few options that I am yet to fully understand but it should give most readers a general insight into ‘what-does-what’ and the meaning of some of the info displayed within. Please note that if your radio is the Becker Audio 5 NG BE9012 your Test Mode menu does not display Test Mode when first entered, it just displays ‘SOUND 5′ From here you can then scroll through the menu selection as below. You will also notice some of the listed options may or may not be available in the Becker model. (I have found that some EU Becker models do not seem to have the WB USA Weather Band option and also the CD Temperature warning is set at ’0′ and appears not to function enabled in these versions. However you may find different options are available to you once you enter the Test Mode menu on your own set)
Have fun…..
”Switch the radio on without the ignition on, and turn to radio function. Switch off…..then turn radio on again, after 2 sec. press the sound adjustment key (with the 2 notes on it) together with the #4 selector for radio stations. this puts you into the menu of the radios AUX EXT……press the button up key until you see the AUX OFF…..turn the volume dial till it says AUX EXT…..then press left(on) key to finish……..now press CD twice and you should see that button now has two options in the display…….NOW THE AUX IS ACTIVE !!!!!”
Here is my Gen-In video of how to access the TEST MODE adopted from the above information that worked fine for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxd9X6PNIBw&feature=player_embedded
My aux is now working, and I have cancelled my dealer appointment. Good luck,
David

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
Wow! I'm sitting in the middle of a racetrack on Michigan, and read this post. I got into my van, turned the radio on, off, then hit the music note button along with the "4" button and bingo!!!!! I too will be cancelling my dealer appointment scheduled for this Tuesday! They told me 1.5 hours to program. I did it first time on 1.5 minutes. Thanks for the good post!!

Kenny C.
NYC

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
Glad the hidden menu info proved useful!, check by the Mercedes Gen In site from time to time, as the site develops, I am sure you will find other stuff to interest you. I maintain a large fleet of Mercedes vans and cars and get chance to post a few technical gems from time to time, I hope they maybe of use.

I am currently investigating what is involved in decoding these radios so they can be used in other vehicles without displaying the PROD error. As the details come in I will be posting them.

All the best Steve

Eric Experience

Steve.
Thanks for your useful posting. I have a sound 5 that intermitantly comes up with the PROD error then shuts down. Any Ideas? Eric

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
Hi Eric,

Apologies for the belated reply ! Its been a while since I checked in on the posts.

If you still have the intermittent PROD issue its likely that the radio is losing connection with the CAN and is dropping its ID communications with the ECU. If I were you I would pull the radio and check the ISO multi connector and wiring for poor contact/damage. Inspect the wires carefully to the plug for breaks in the insulation possibly allowing the cables to be grounded against chassis etc. Failing this I guess it could be an internal electronic fault with the radio itself, but worth checking out.

If you need to reference what cable is what on the socket and concentrate on the CAN connections - take a look here: http://www.mercedes.gen.in/WP35/other-stuff/mercedes-audio-iso-wiring-connections/

Hope this helps
Steve

Last edited:

Top Bottom