2013 Sprinter Electric Brake Controller Install

greatmoose17

I want to add an electronic brake controller to my 2013 144 Sprinter. Is this as easy as it is in a GM truck where the plug for the controller is under the dash somewhere? The people who did my GM truck no nothing about a Sprinter and are a little reluctant. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris

sailquik

Hi Chris,
Do you have the factory installed OEM Hitch and wiring package?
Look at your window sticker or get a copy of your Sprinter's Data Card (it's available from your dealer if you give them your VIN #).
You should see Option package PT1: Trailer Hitch Package: Trailer Hitch
E40 Trailer Hitch-Wire harness w 7 pin connector
QA2 Trailer Cross member, 7,500 lbs. cap.
If you have the factory installed trailer towing package, you should have the green electric brake controller connnector under your drivers seat,
and you will also have the Trailer Stability Assist (TSA) module on the center rail in the driver's seat box.
If you want to order the mating connector, to hook up your aftermarket trailer brake controller, just do a search on "green connector" as I have posted
photos of the connector and MB part numbers for the connector and pins to make the proper hookup.
If you didn't get the factory trailer towing package, you will have alot of work to do to get the the trailer lights to work, the trailer brakes/controller to work,
and you will not have the added safety of the TSA feature.
This really is a good thing to have if you ever attach a trailer to the back of your Sprinter as it changes the way your ASR (Anti-Skid Recovery/traction control)
works when you have a trailer in tow. Not so good if your Sprinter does not know there's a trailer and makes corrections for only the towing vehicle with no regard
for control of the trailer.
In a nutshell, NO, there is no prewired plug to a brake controller under your dash.
If you have the factory installed hitch and wiring package....you will find the green connector in the driver' seat box.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

greatmoose17

Roger, I do have the factory trailer hitch package. I will go search on green connector now and read your past posts on this subject. Thanks so much! Chris

sailquik

Chris,
You may be able to find the installed green connector by removing the fuse cover of the LH side of the driver's seat box.
Mine was laying down in the bottom.
I had to slide the seat forward all the way and remove the plastic/foam cover (just a few tabs on the front and rear of it) then I could
reach down in the seat box and get the connector to come over the top of the LH side fuse panel.
If you have issues, I can check the wire colors for you. I just checked mine with a VOM multimeter and it was pretty clear which wire
does what.
4 wires...4 pins...hooks direct to most aftermarket brake controllers. I used a Valley Towing Products Odyssey II.
Roger

greatmoose17

Hi Roger. Ok, I found the green connector. Can you please repost the 4 wire colors and their assignment. I'm a rookie at electrical work and want to make double sure I set this up right. Also, it seems Valley Towing Products are going out of business, or really scaling back. I can't find the Odyssey II anywhere, so I will purchase another brand. Thanks,
Chris

sailquik

Chris,
You can find all the wire colors @ this link.
It's the other popular Sprinter Forum, which I think you need to join to see the photos.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/photos/album/1508017253/pic/list

If you don't want to do that, send me a PM and I'll send you the photos.
I'm in San Diego now, and my Sprinter is in long term parking @ ORF airport in Norfolk, VA.
Have you found the part numbers?
You will need to order the mating green connector (male if I remember correctly) from your local
MB dealer.
If they cannot supply the connector, Sun Motor Cars in Mechanicsburg, PA can order the necessary
connector and pins and ship them to you.
From the photos, it looks like the black with blue tracer connects to your brake controller blue wire.
Black/blue tracer wire goes back to the rear connector and goes to the trailer brakes.
The brown wire goes to the brake controller white wire. This is your ground (Neg 12 v)
The red with yellow tracer goes to the red brake controller wire. This is your + 12vdc power to the brake controller.
Hope this helps,
Roger

jimmiejoe

2500 High Roof 144" WB
If I understand this Thread correctly the Sprinter does not come with and electric bake module, even if you have the PT1 option. The connector has the pins but nothing is connected? I have asked the dealer how you set the gain on the electric brakes and was told that it was taken care of by the computer, sound like this is not correct.

sailquik

jimmiejoe,
The better modern electronic brake controllers all have an inertia switch in them that changes the gain (volts to the brake magnets inside the trailer brake drums) based on
how hard you are decellerating.
Many of them are completely programable so you can simply change the program to suit the particular trailer characteristics you are towing and the controller will memorize
the gain and other parameters.
You are correct...if you get all of the factory installed trailer towing options, you do not get an electronic brake controller.
When you install your choice of aftermarket trailer brake controller, and get the mating green connector and pins, THEN you will have trailer brakes.
The OEM installed trailer brake wiring simply adds the wiring from the green connector in the drivers seat box to the PSM and TSA modules, the battery and ground,
and the wiring for the trailer running/turn signal/brake lights and a black w blue tracer to the rear receptacle to power the trailer brakes.
If you order the Sprinter with the PT1 Option, there is no programming required by the dealer to make the brake controller work correctly.... you just need to add the
wiring from the green connector to the pig tail on the brake controller.
If you do not order your Sprinter with the factory installed OEM trailer towing package (includes all the wiring/modules/ and 2" receiver cross member from ORIS) then
you (or your dealer) would have to add all the wiring, add the 2 modules and the rear connector, and add the brake controller, a receiver hitch cross member and
then get the correct programming from MB in Germany to make it all work.
Not an easy task, and for most new Sprinter owners it's pretty much out of the question both in hassle factor and cost.
So, your dealer is pretty much not correct.
Since it appears from your list that you did not get the PT1 option, you may be better off to go with all aftermarket towing gear, but
be aware it will not provide you with the TSA feature.
I only know of one member of this forum who has successfully had a series of dealers install/troubleshoot/program the factory after sales
towing package for several times the cost of getting a Sprinter with it installed at the factory in Dusseldorf for $395.
Roger

72chevy4x4

Roger, may I ask who the member that successfully was able to get everything to work together? Looks like I'm going to need to two across the country and would like to have it done right.
thx-Paul

jimmiejoe

2500 High Roof 144" WB
Hello Roger,
Thanks for the confirmation. I do have PT1, just check the signature to confirm it was list there. You mentioned the PSM module. How does that fit into the trailer scenario? I do not have a PSM module under the seat but think that I should have order it.
Regarding the gain, I need to change it depending on the load, to make sure I am not over braking when empty or under braking with different loads that vary considerably. Do the new brake module handle all of the variation?

Torchwater

Where did you guys mount your brake controllers? I need to put one in soon, the pig tail wire connector is under the drivers seat? Interesting. I'll have to locate this wire tonight.

Torchwater

Tried locating this harness and can't find anything. I called the service dept, and the guy couldn't get their system to bring up the exact location. The dealership just opened, so they are still trying to figure out their stuff. It has the factory trailer hitch and 7 pin harness, but the salesman said the van did not have the TSA installed, and he count figure out why. The module is only $100. Hmmm.

atulin

Tried locating this harness and can't find anything. I called the service dept, and the guy couldn't get their system to bring up the exact location. The dealership just opened, so they are still trying to figure out their stuff. It has the factory trailer hitch and 7 pin harness, but the salesman said the van did not have the TSA installed, and he count figure out why. The module is only $100. Hmmm.
The connection for the brake controller is in the driver's seat base. If I remember right it's green. If you truly have a factory hitch, TSA and the brake controller connection should be there.

Torchwater

The connection for the brake controller is in the driver's seat base. If I remember right it's green. If you truly have a factory hitch, TSA and the brake controller connection should be there.
Yeah, I'm thinking they forgot to install something. I'm going to go back in there this week and see if they can install the TSA module and brake controller connection if it is indeed missing. I've been under the sprinter tonight and followed all of the wiring into the chassis. It is indeed a factory installation.

sailquik

Torchwater,
Pull the fuse cover off the LH side of the drivers seat box.
Look down in the bottom on the box, on the floor.
I'll bet you find the proverbial "green connector" for the electronic brake controller pigtail to
connect to.
Do a search on "green connector"!
There are several threads with photos of the connector and how to wire it.
I would be you have the TSA (Trailer Stability Assist).
It comes with all factory trailer packages 2011 and later.
Get your data card and it will be listed there I believe.
Roger

Torchwater

Torchwater,
Pull the fuse cover off the LH side of the drivers seat box.
Look down in the bottom on the box, on the floor.
I'll bet you find the proverbial "green connector" for the electronic brake controller pigtail to
connect to.
Do a search on "green connector"!
There are several threads with photos of the connector and how to wire it.
I would be you have the TSA (Trailer Stability Assist).
It comes with all factory trailer packages 2011 and later.
Get your data card and it will be listed there I believe.
Roger
Thanks Roger. I searched a few threads about this here and I couldn't find a picture. The service tech said it should be a dark green pigtail connector. All I found was two other connectors under the seat. One white and one charcoal in color. I'll take the seat off tonight when I get done with work and have a real good look. Thanks for all of your input thought this forum. It's a huge help.

Torchwater

So I don't have the lime green pig tail connector under the seat. I can't seem to get anyone at Mercedes to look up my data card since no one answers the phone at this time, other than the salesman and he doesn't have a clue as to how that is done. I may have to get my work clothes on and start tracing the OEM trailer wires into the cab to see where it stops. How could they leave this part out, along with the TSA? Ridiculous!:censored:

sailquik

Darin,
If you would like your official MB build data card, send me a PM or email with your Sprinter VIN# and a valid email address.
The PM link is at the upper right of this screen.
Best way to accomplish this is to go to the Blue Bar above:
1/ Click on "Community"
2/ Click on "Member Search" at the RH side of the Alphabetical list.
3/ Type in "sailquik".
4/ Click on Send PM or Send Email.
5/ Type in your VIN# and return valid Email address.

I will send your data card as soon as I get back on the computer, unless there is an issue
with the startekinfo site.
I will download your DataCard from the MBUSA epc.net/startekinfo site and send you
your complete build data in a .PDF file.
It's a subscription site, but I've already paid and there does not seem to be a limit to
how many DataCards you can download.
I'm still amazed that the MB Authorized Sprinter Dealers do not seem to be into their
Customer's service enough to do the < 3 minute process required to log into startekinfo and download a customer's DataCard. :thinking:
Roger
P.S. Do you still have the window sticker from your new 2013 Sprinter? That lists some of the major
components that were included in your "build", but not everything like is on the DataCard.

Last edited:

Torchwater

Darin,
If you would like your official MB build data card, send me a PM or email with your Sprinter VIN# and a valid email address.
The PM link is at the upper right of this screen.
Best way to accomplish this is to go to the Blue Bar above:
1/ Click on "Community"
2/ Click on "Member Search" at the RH side of the Alphabetical list.
3/ Type in "sailquik".
4/ Click on Send PM or Send Email.
5/ Type in your VIN# and return valid Email address.

I will send your data card as soon as I get back on the computer, unless there is an issue
with the startekinfo site.
I will download your DataCard from the MBUSA epc.net/startekinfo site and send you
your complete build data in a .PDF file.
It's a subscription site, but I've already paid and there does not seem to be a limit to
how many DataCards you can download.
I'm still amazed that the MB Authorized Sprinter Dealers do not seem to be into their
Customer's service enough to do the < 3 minute process required to log into startekinfo and download a customer's DataCard. :thinking:
Roger
P.S. Do you still have the window sticker from your new 2013 Sprinter? That lists some of the major
components that were included in your "build", but not everything like is on the DataCard.
Yeah no kidding. I got the parts guy to actually look it up, but he couldn't get any description of the codes. Just as a FYI, one can click on a user name that is attached to their posts and a menu appears. Then one can click on a pm or email link. :)

Sending pm.....

Top Bottom