Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

support Sprinter-Source.com
Click here or the banner before shopping at Amazon. A percentage of your purchase goes to support Sprinter-Source.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,221
Thanks: 989
Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,099 Posts
Default Layout plan.

I am beginning to get some details about our future RV. The design is very similar to our previous VW Westfalias except the added head. Most likely I will use 80/20 with 1/4" pre-refinished plywood for construction. Any critique would be very welcome. The base for my drawings is wood floor published by Dave. Two more picture.

Thank you,

George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeRa For This Useful Post:
LOTUS (05-15-2013)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,221
Thanks: 989
Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,099 Posts
Default Re: Layout plan.

Last 2 pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Short wood floor 144 2d only other cabinet.JPG (46.5 KB, 4718 views)
File Type: jpg Short wood floor 144 2d only end result.JPG (56.6 KB, 4206 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeRa For This Useful Post:
Sonofleemarvin (09-21-2016)
Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
OldWest
T1N Westfalia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,131
Thanks: 91
Thanked 299 Times in 233 Posts
Default Re: Layout plan.

Move toilet compartment behind driver seat. Shorter sink cabinet closer to rear passengers--more open feeling.

Or, move toilet compartment behind driver seat, add full height cabinet with fridge, etc where toilet comoartment used to be. Add short sink cabinet behind front passenger seat with lift up side table. Entry would be with sliding door fully open. This sink cabinet behind front passenger seat is an old Westfalia design.

Want to keep tall compartments cabinets to outside. Current plan with tpilet compartment in middle may make space feel tighter

Good luck

If short people could go with crosswise bed like new Wstfalia on Fiat Ducato chassis (has greater widtu than Sprinter) see pdf le in Westfaia subforum here
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldWest For This Useful Post:
GeorgeRa (07-16-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,221
Thanks: 989
Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,099 Posts
Default Re: Layout plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWest View Post
Move toilet compartment behind driver seat. Shorter sink cabinet closer to rear passengers--more open feeling.

Or, move toilet compartment behind driver seat, add full height cabinet with fridge, etc where toilet comoartment used to be. Add short sink cabinet behind front passenger seat with lift up side table. Entry would be with sliding door fully open. This sink cabinet behind front passenger seat is an old Westfalia design.

Want to keep tall compartments cabinets to outside. Current plan with tpilet compartment in middle may make space feel tighter

Good luck

If short people could go with crosswise bed like new Wstfalia on Fiat Ducato chassis (has greater widtu than Sprinter) see pdf le in Westfaia subforum here
Thank you for your review. My first drawing was with the head behind the driver seat but I was afraid of facing a big wall after rotating the driver seat. I agree that sticking the toilet in the middle could feel too busy. I am going to revisit this location. Small cabinet behind the passenger seat is definitely a possibility.
I went on Dusseldorf Westfalia site, too much drooling.
Unfortunately I am too tall for sleeping across a Sprinter, Fiat Ducato is 100mm wider so it could be a good option for me but have no clue when they will show up in US.
George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeRa For This Useful Post:
Vtsapper (03-24-2016)
Old 07-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Occidental, Ca.
Posts: 5,572
Thanks: 979
Thanked 3,300 Times in 1,894 Posts
Default Re: Layout plan.

1. The top of the drivers seat protrudes into the cargo area. My seat location puts the top 3" into cargo area. If you rotate the drivers seat, is there space for the occupants feet?
2. The sink does not have any counter area. Counter between stove & sink?
3. Do you really need a full macerator toilet with its black water tank? The most important toilet facility is a wide mouth plastic bottle for # 1. Easy fill & empty. McDonalds were created for # 2.
__________________
Sold 2008 diesel NCV3 144" WB high roof DIY conversion
2015 gas Transit 148" WB high roof for another conversion
Graphite Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graphite Dave For This Useful Post:
GeorgeRa (07-16-2012), jplsplit (06-16-2015)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
d_bertko
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,944
Thanks: 508
Thanked 720 Times in 523 Posts
Default Re: Layout plan.

Graphite Dave has had the same experience as we have. Use our Luggable Loo twice on the last 10-week trip.

I'd go him one better on the lack of sink counter---we use two plastic dishpans outside the van on a picnic table.

It is true we could use them inside for twice the room as a typical rv sink---but what drycamper really wants to make a mess inside while cooking or cleaning up?
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_bertko For This Useful Post:
GeorgeRa (07-16-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,221
Thanks: 989
Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,099 Posts
Default Re: Layout plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite Dave View Post
1. The top of the drivers seat protrudes into the cargo area. My seat location puts the top 3" into cargo area. If you rotate the drivers seat, is there space for the occupants feet?
2. The sink does not have any counter area. Counter between stove & sink?
3. Do you really need a full macerator toilet with its black water tank? The most important toilet facility is a wide mouth plastic bottle for # 1. Easy fill & empty. McDonalds were created for # 2.
This is a very good point with 3” protrusion into cargo space and lack of room after rotating the driver seat. I will need to rethink the placement of any cabinet there.
A #1 and #2 facility for us is a must. The question is how to go about it. The simplest is a Portable Potty but because its lack of any venting it tends to emit odor. A gravity fed toilet constrains location of the black tank and the toilet. I was considering a vacuum toilet but they are expensive and it is very difficult to clean their vacuum tank. Compost toilet stinks with urine. Cassette toilets are awkward to empty. The macerator toilet decouples the toilette from the tank, cost is reasonable - $500 and it simplifies dumping. I could build countertop height toilette compartment which would increase countertop space and make the van more spacious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bertko View Post
Graphite Dave has had the same experience as we have. Use our Luggable Loo twice on the last 10-week trip.
I'd go him one better on the lack of sink counter---we use two plastic dishpans outside the van on a picnic table.
It is true we could use them inside for twice the room as a typical rv sink---but what drycamper really wants to make a mess inside while cooking or cleaning up?
We tend to be outdoor type campers not the wine sipping while sitting in a slide-out couch watching 52” TV. So a lot of our activities are not inside an RV vehicle. But we like to have some comfort of hot water and dumping library.

Thank you for your comments,

George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
d_bertko
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,944
Thanks: 508
Thanked 720 Times in 523 Posts
Default Re: Layout plan.

We used a Portapotti for the first couple of years. The Luggable Loo plus pee bottles is a better solution than that because of zero smell, no clean up, minimal weight, all-temp use. My female whitewater friends have used feminine funnels for many years since it makes the male relief zipper on a drysuit practical. Met wife-approval criteria after she tried it. The combo is under $50 if you wanted to reclaim the driver's side space and separate food prep from the other.

You could consider a 170" Sprinter. Some extra space eases the design process considerably. The smaller the footprint the harder to get the design right the first time.

My only other comment on your layout is that it constrains the rear access with dedicated storage. It does resemble many commercial rv layouts. One-use designs are easier to optimize but maybe the mass-produced version would be same cost with higher resale value? Otherwise your design could be tweaked by making the bed and rear-door cabinetry removable when not needed. A good justification of the very high 80/20 cost.

Many of us DIY'rs have built cargo/toy haulers because minimized fixtures gives more room and less weight. And of course it can cost less to install less. A light Sprinter is a quick Sprinter.

Dan
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_bertko For This Useful Post:
GeorgeRa (07-16-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,221
Thanks: 989
Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,099 Posts
Default Re: Layout plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bertko View Post
………………………You could consider a 170" Sprinter. Some extra space eases the design process considerably. The smaller the footprint the harder to get the design right the first time………. Dan
This new van will be our second vehicle and a longer van will have some limitation for driving around town so we will be sticking with 144”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bertko View Post
………..My only other comment on your layout is that it constrains the rear access with dedicated storage. It does resemble many commercial rv layouts. One-use designs are easier to optimize but maybe the mass-produced version would be same cost with higher resale value? Otherwise your design could be tweaked by making the bed and rear-door cabinetry removable when not needed. A good justification of the very high 80/20 cost.
Many of us DIY'rs have built cargo/toy haulers because minimized fixtures gives more room and less weight. And of course it can cost less to install less. A light Sprinter is a quick Sprinter.
Dan
My goal is to make this conversion semi convertible. The no-removable items would be:
- Flush toilette with countertop height cabinet,
- Galley with fridge, battery (unless I mount 2 batteries under the hood), electronics, gauges and monitors, inverter-charger, distribution and fuse panel,
- Overhead cabinets. I am not sure if we really need rear door overhead cabinet.
and removable items would be:
- Sofa/bed and countertop cabinets which will be fully framed with 80/20 attached to the floor only, hopefully to the factory seats mount. I will pay attention to light weight construction such as light weight filler panels on 80/20 frames.
I will likely not be able to have full seat conversion but I would like to be able to mount 2 rear seat rows after removal of conversion items. With no seat I will have good cargo area.
Thank you for your comments.
George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
d_bertko
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,944
Thanks: 508
Thanked 720 Times in 523 Posts
Default Re: Layout plan.

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

The voice of experience here on seating: seating passengers farther back than about half the sliding door makes it hard to communicate with them. Maybe that is a plus for certain passengers..

That is quite a different thing than camp use. Swivel one or two front seats and the extra space to where a rear bed would start and that is a quiet, comfortable, uncrowded distance to talk across.

Seems to call for separate seating plans for camp use vs car-like passenger transport. Easy to add a single sliding-door area seat for passenger transport but anything wider will bump into the kitchen and block rear access. We have a similar but skinnier layout and I add a single seat when we have three of us to transport. If there are four or more I give up, forget about the single seat and let the rear passengers converse among themselves.

Our camping life is almost always just the two of us and optimizing the layout just for two is better than compromised seating for more.

I only put in a single swivel since that improvement came two years after I installed the propane locker behind the driver's seat. But since there are only two of us we would rather eat facing each other than sitting parallel. I do believe any wall cabinetry behind the driver's seat will defeat the purpose of the swivel. OTOH, one swivel works very well---it gets one of us out of the way when the other needs to move around the interior making a meal or the like.

Good luck with the project, I had a blast building mine.

Dan
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d_bertko For This Useful Post:
GeorgeRa (07-16-2012), JimBrunberg (08-16-2016), LOTUS (05-15-2013), mwade82 (01-16-2014)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.