Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Freedom II Serenity

Old 05-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
israndy

Default Added stuff, too much for the What did you do thread...

Added a Link Lite Battery Monitor, not sure where I am going to mount the current sensor (shunt) for the long term, twist ties for now. Can already tell the batteries are trashed, only discharged 30 amp hours, guess I knew that. Was hoping the desulfator I got would fix them.

Added a LaCrosse color weather station/atomic clock, always wanna know what it's like outside, and now I can tell how it's been inside while I was away with the Max/Min feature.

Added a second TV (left over from the last RV) to the Serenity as when you are snuggled up in bed you are too far away from the TV mounted just behind the drivers seat. Hmmm... Wonder if we'll ever watch two shows, one on each set. Hooked them both to my OTA DVR, new one over the bed via HDMI, old one via component. Slight delay in the audio between the two, but if I am running thru the stereo speakers instead it shouldn't be an issue. Ran the HDMI behind the cabinets, over the door, behind the microwave, thru the cabinet with the port to the roof and the microwave plug in it and into the small TV. Just need to pretty up the cables behind the TV.

Found a prewire for satellite TV antenna above the driver's seat, can't figure out where it goes after leaving the TV cabinet.

Next stop, hooking up an iPhone dock on the dash to the big TV so I can watch podcasts...

-Randy

Last edited by israndy; 05-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to israndy For This Useful Post:
barsaec (10-13-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
israndy

Default Re: Serenity Upgrades

Started realizing there is NO END to the things I will do to the Serenity while I own it and I should just keep the info in a single thread, and I already started this one back when I first got the LTV Sprinter.

Most big things are cross posted to my Serenity Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/LTV_Serenity

First some house keeping, old posts, as I have well over 500 posts (the max. a search will return) I will try to organize what I have written. Here are write-ups of things installed in the Serenity:

Boss 600 driver's seat subwoofer.
Construction thermostat in the Fantastic Fan to close the roof when it starts getting cold outside.
Added Motorcycle Lift to hitch during period where Serenity was wrecked.
Found perfect glove box organizer for the T1Ns.
New house batteries for the Serenity.
And the last thread I created before moving to this thread:
Replaced the Serta mattress in the back with a custom one.

Next all my posts of all the things I have done to the Serenity since I bought it. Links in this quick list of what I have been working on:

Installed UltraGauge and Argus Battery Bug from old Sprinter RV
Installed reverse switch and construction thermostat in fan
Installed 3 Stage converter and extension cord behind couch
Installed weather station
Installed Powered by Mercedes Benz emblem
Purchased 110 volt electric ceramic and a propane Mr. Heater
Installed motorcycle lift and base plates and tow bar for my 2000 Honda Insight
Installed Link Lite battery meter
Installed dual 6 volt Costco batteries
Installed Sani-Con macerator pump by BEAR during RV body repair
Installed new stereo & subwoofer
Installed Trik-L-Start
Installed Wi-Fi booster
Installed LEDs in place of Halogen
Installed newer tires in back
Installed TVs, DVR, HDMI, Jack antenna
Installed SiriusXM adapter

30,000 mile oil change at Oil Changers
40,000 mile tune-up at San Leandro Dodge
Repaired broken Skylight handle
Repaired blown trailer fuse
Repaired Windshield; Insulated cab behind TV and cabinet

Repair of body damage from garbage truck accident by BEAR in Hayward CA
Repair of car A/C valve by Sandy High-Tech
and house A/C capacitor; Repair of fridge via outside GFCI swap; by La Mesa RV, Cleaned and lubed step

More detail on all this to follow.

-Randy

Last edited by israndy; 10-01-2013 at 02:46 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to israndy For This Useful Post:
barsaec (10-13-2013), SLDriver (10-02-2013), VaVet96 (02-13-2015)
Old 10-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
israndy

Default Re: Added stuff, too much for the What did you do thread...

Wanted to save this post to this thread, but apparently I can no longer edit that last post despite doing it for a solid 24+ hours yesterday. Oh well, this is just a quick "who is Randy" post:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...2&postcount=20
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to israndy For This Useful Post:
hein (10-02-2013), SLDriver (10-02-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
2whlrider
2012 Unity MB

Wow that's a lot of add ons to your Serenity! A few questions....When you added the 6volt batteries is there anything else that needs changing or can a person just put 6 volt batteries in place of 12 volts?
The Wi Fi booster. Is this something that will boost a signal in camp grounds or is it for some other purpose?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
icarus

Thanked 2,264 Times in 1,566 Posts

I believe he wired the "dual 6 volt" batteries in series to produce one larger 12 volt. A single 12 volt of similar capacity would be too heavy to man handle.

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icarus For This Useful Post:
SullyVan (10-06-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
israndy

Yes, as icarus said. I think I actually ended up with an extra wire, but I would have to think to remember and it's too early. Power goes in one battery, to the next and then out. Yeah, I think I ended up with an extra as I didn't need to connect both ends of the batteries together.

The Wi-Fi booster is hanging by that upside down outlet above the kitchen, in the window so it *might* have better reception than a laptop below the dash level. If it helps than I have better reception, but the biggest reason to get one is now ALL your devices, laptops, handhelds, DVRs and TV's, that regularly access the internet don't have to be pointed at a new location, they still go to RV-net, or whatever you call your repeater. Then I just need to configure this one device when I get to the "campsite" to connect to open internet and away we go...

-Randy
Old 10-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
2whlrider
2012 Unity MB

Thanks for the information. Where can I get a booster? Worth a try I'm thinking.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
israndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrider View Post
Thanks for the information. Where can I get a booster? Worth a try I'm thinking.
Yikes, OK that is a can of worms. If you know what you are doing a clever solution would be putting a directional wifi antenna on your TV aerial. That way when you want to use it just crank up the antenna and aim it at the destination:

images.jpg

These antenna are AMAZING. When we first got these 14" antenna we could go 7 miles and the only reason we couldn't go further was the land you could see from the mountain ran out and you were in the bay now. The other side of the bay was so far away it was impossible to aim, or we got crosstalk from the many other wifi routers.

The downside of these crazy good antenna is there is now so much wifi out there it is hard to use over the distances this unit is capable of, but camping... You are already away from the bulk of wifi.

You could also mount an omni-directional antenna on the roof or the mirror of your rig:

images2.jpg

The point is to have signal from the outside directed to the inside via dedicated wire and this will accomplish this, but like the first solution you need to know what you are doing. These are thick wave guides, the signal does not travel down the wire, the wire acts as a suggestion of the direction the signal should go. Very different than most of the things you connect via cable.

So a large industry has started up that put the electronics for wifi in the external antenna, then a USB or ethernet cable is run into the vehicle. This does not require the smarts or the thickness of cable that the first two solutions require. I have lusted after the WiFiRanger for some time:

images3.jpg

Well built, custom, supported solution. Highly recommended, and it looks good. But it's freakin' half-a-grand! Hmmm... Perhaps some day. Then I wake up one morning and Woot.com, for whom I am a big sucker, has the Netgear on their site:

Images4.jpg

So I purchased it for $34 and hung it from the outlet in the kitchen of the Serenity. When you first try to connect to it you are presented with a configuration screen on *whatever* device you are using (perhaps not a Nintendo) that lets you choose the source of your wifi that will be repeated. You can by default have it behave exactly as if you were connected to the original, passing the login and everything thru the extender. I, as I mentioned, set it to the same name (rv-net, though I should probably call it "Serenity" so people can find the source by looking around) thus all my gadgets default to connect to the Netgear. It even has an ethernet port to run to my wifi handicapped TV.

Of course the first or second drive I took with the RV caused the box to fall out of the outlet, and after it hitting the floor 5 or 6 times I finally decided to double sided foam tape it to the outlet. Where it sits is a large glass window and the antenna stick straight down and repeat the signal they are connected to.

It works when I am connected to 110v, I do have inverters for the two TVs I have, but I will someday put in a bigger inverter that I can use to power this device too, but when I was recently camping every stop I used my cell phone as my wifi, I have unlimited and LTE is really fast these days, faster than most park wifi.

-Randy

Last edited by israndy; 10-07-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
2whlrider
2012 Unity MB

Wow....that's a lot of detail! Of which I understood about half. Lol
I will show it to my tech savvy better half. The last item sounds like a good choice.
Thanks very much.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
israndy

Oh I forgot to mention, when going to 6 volts, the batteries are much taller, barely fit past the gas line to the genset. Had a plate that holds them down that barely fits anymore. Had to put 2x4s behind the batteries to keep them from sliding around. I think I detailed this all in my previous 6 volt post linked above.

-Randy