Fuel Tank Coil Rusty Wye Fittings

BEWARE

The fittings supplied by Dodge and MB may not be correct. Check for proper parts before ordering.

Thanks to theordore for the info. :thumbup:
Post #26
I realize I'm late to the party, but this part starting gushing fuel (View attachment 103031)

last week on my T1N and I found this post. Ordered Dodge # 05133920AA. It showed up today, so I pulled the original damaged part (View attachment 103032)

and was disappointed to discover that it's not going to fit. The replacement is a 1/4" fitting, but the original is 3/8" if not larger (View attachment 103034).

There also very different in shape (View attachment 103033).

The replacement is definitely not flexible enough to accommodate the difference in angle.
I thought you'd like to see this so you don't count on a part that's going to leave you stranded when the original gives up.
The question is: where do we get an actual replacement part? I waited 9 days for this worthless thing.
So I've been carrying around a part that won't fit?!?!?!?

Damn! :bash:

Sorry for any misinformation about parts, but it's what I was supplied from the Dodge dealership.

One of the reasons that I have yet to replace the 2004 crusty looking fittings was that the access and parts change looked to be a bit of a pain.

One answer to the problem is to use 3 ea. long(er) hoses and route the fuel hose out to a traditional Tee fitting. Alternatively, it looks like either a Wye or Tee fitting should install on 2 legs with no problem. A long hose loop can be used for the leg that doesn't align properly.
Added:
If OEM isn't possible, and the long hose loop method is necessary, 3/8" barb Tee fitting are more common locally than are Wye fittings.
Additional reflection:
It may make sense to install an equal leg Y fitting in a backwards facing orientation. That should allow the loop hose to fit into the space available and maybe use less hose.

JB Weld will seal the hole shown center in the picture [in other thread], and the other hole in progress up by the white dot.

Please let us know if the removed part is 5/16"... 3/8" or some other SAE equivalent size.

Anyone want to buy some brand new, unused OEM packaged dealership fuel parts for their T1N Sprinter?

:cheers: vic

If it is 5/16" (Reported to be 3/8", but 5/16" still might work.)

https://www.amazon.com/Saim-Brass-Barbed-Piece-Joiner/dp/B01LYZ81BC
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Tee-Barb-Splitter/dp/B076PVN18X

3/8"

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a15042500ux0037-Y-Piece-Connector-Coupler/dp/B00YX8WAV2

Jegs carries some parts.
https://www.jegs.com/i/NOS/741/15534/10002/-1

Every Jegs web page contains this note. Be aware.
"Some parts are not legal for use in California or other states with similar laws / regulations"

This picture shows the possible alignment for 2 ea. legs.
RustedFuelCoolingPartsTop.jpg
The original text/thread starts here:

Today while I was working under my Sprinter (wheels blocked, with jackstands and floor jack in place) I noticed some rusty fitting parts on the fuel cooling loops. I did some searching because I thought I've seen some parts diagrams of the fuel tank, but these weren't included. They look pretty nasty so I want to replace them before failure.

I suspect they are check valves. - Edit: Only because they appear to be larger than a regular fitting. - That is a guess. [That guess was wrong. They are Wye fittings. Refer to post #11.] Anybody know what they are for sure? Part number would be appreciated (again, post #11). Probably worth inspecting if your Sprinter lives in the salty Northeast like mine does. On a happy note, my fuel cap still looks pretty good. vic

RustedFuelCoolingParts.jpg

As shown in the pics above, the fittings looked that bad in Sept. 2012 when I greased them with heavy duty wheel bearing grease. Now Sept. 2021 and the fittings are still holding. Knock/touch wood :bash: I do periodically add grease to both the 2004 and 2006 Wye fittings when I'm under the trucks for other repairs.

Last edited:

bc339

Re: Rusty Fuel Coil Fittings

Vic, see if this is of any help. 7 is called a change over valve, 56 is called a distributor only with the aux heater. 52 are plastic pipes only with aux heaters.
I'll keep looking...

Bruce

Attachments

Bruce,
Thanks for the research. Actually the diagram you show looks a bit different from mine.

I found this diagram in the 2006-VA PDF manual page 1003. It looks like mine. The diagram seems to show three lines (hoses) going to my rusted fittings. I'm afraid to even touch them because they look so ugly. Unfortunately my info doesn't specify the parts I'm looking for. Monday I'm going to stop by the dealership and talk to Chet the parts guy. I'm hopeful we can find the proper part number. Thanks for your efforts and reply. vic

FuelCooler1.jpg

Vic, see if this is of any help. 7 is called a change over valve, 56 is called a distributor only with the aux heater. 52 are plastic pipes only with aux heaters.
I'll keep looking...

Bruce

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member

Are they both "Y" fittings?
Coupling a single pipe from the thermostat into two pipes going into the coils?
Vic's diagram suggests that.

--dick

bc339

Can you check the rusty parts to see if they "Y"? Both Dodge and MB EPC (and your manual) may suggest that the rusty parts are p/n 56.

Bruce

Are they both "Y" fittings?
Coupling a single pipe from the thermostat into two pipes going into the coils?
Vic's diagram suggests that.

--dick
Good point. I hope you are correct in that they are simple fittings.

Can you check the rusty parts to see if they "Y"? Both Dodge and MB EPC (and your manual) may suggest that the rusty parts are p/n 56.

Bruce
I didn't interpret #56 as being a similar "Y". I just saw the differences in the diagrams. I'll crawl under and check closer tomorrow.

When I establish exactly what they are I'll be certain to follow up here with part numbers and info. Thanks for the continued interest.
vic

Bruce
Bruce,
A second look shows that they are "Y" fittings. Most likely they were plated steel at one time. They are rusty clumps now. That is probably why my fuel cap still looks OK. Maybe these parts acted as sacrificial anodes?? :rolleyes:

I'll mention "distributor or distribution" fitting to the parts guy. Thanks. vic

RustedFuelCoolingPartsTop.jpg

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

Being that they're Y fittings, they're likely to be cast parts and thick wall. IIWM, I'd chip off the rust and coat with Rustoleum's rusty metal primer rather than replace straightaway.

Being that they're Y fittings, they're likely to be cast parts and thick wall. IIWM, I'd chip off the rust and coat with Rustoleum's rusty metal primer rather than replace straightaway.
Gee TH43,
Even though we've never met I consider you a friend based upon forum interactions. :thumbup: That said, as a friend you really shouldn't enable my cheap tendencies. I'm tempted to just repair, but I ordered the parts this morning. Those fittings really look bad. I'm even thinking I may just cut and replace all the short hoses to minimize risk of damage to the plastic lines during disassembly. I'm pretty sure damaging those plastic hose coil assemblies would add a bunch of cost to the project.

Thanks for the input. vic

P.S. - Bruce's part numbers were exactly correct. Just drop the zero. :cheers:

P.P.S. - I even ordered 2 ea dashboard switch cover blanks. I'm throwing money around like a drunken sailor.

Last edited:

I picked up the replacement parts today. The replacement is plastic, probably nylon. At 7 bucks each I'd just replace them with some generic fuel "Y" fitting. The Dodge label was stuck over the MB label. I read the MB number through the label so now we have both part numbers.

FuelY.jpg

Theodore has indicated that these are not the correct parts. Possibly 5/16" or 3/8" will fit, but not 1/4".

1/4" 3 way fitting.

Dodge # 05133920AA
MB # A 000 835 06 32

This fuel part looks identical to the Dodge/MB part. I have no idea as to price.

GOSS HOSE CONNECTOR Y 6.5MM X 6.5MM X 6.5MM SP18093
https://www.autobarn.com.au/goss-hose-connector-y-6-5mm-x-6-5mm-x-6-5mm-sp18093-y02

A brass possibility.
Interstate Pneumatics FBY44 Brass Y Fittings 1/4 Inch Hose Barb Manifold
http://www.amazon.com/Interstate-Pneumatics-FBY44-Fittings-Manifold/dp/B008L2LQKC

Related parts from the Dodge listing:
Dodge # 05133923AA clamp
Dodge # 05104491AA fuel hose = 1/4" fuel hose cut to length

On another matter the dash switch covers are under 50 cents each. vic

Last edited:

After posting the link to this thread it occurred to me.

Update.

May 2012 was when I noticed the rusted fittings. Probably late May 2012 was when I smeared heavy duty wheel bearing grease on those rusted fittings. I carry the replacement plastic fittings. Almost May 2018, now May 2019 (greased May 2012) and those ugly crusty steel fittings are still in service.

Don't underestimate the power of heavy duty wheel bearing grease against rusting.

Life on the edge.

vic

P.S. - I smeared HD wheel bearing grease on my passenger 2006 fuel fittings shortly after purchasing it.

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)

Good tip! In return may I recommend dried grass clippings saturated in engine oil, which has preserved the low points on my lawn mower’s deck through many winters! :cheers:

-dave

ps: other than the fuel gauge suddenly moving rapidly downward, do you expect any notification of a failure if these Y-fittings?

ps: other than the fuel gauge suddenly moving rapidly downward, do you expect any notification of a failure if these Y-fittings?
Based upon similar rusting part pressure system failures, I would expect that the fuel will drip a bit first as opposed to a catastrophic failure so I'm not too worried.

A sudden failure could happen. Some would question why I don't just install the new fittings. When I crawled under for that operation it appeared that it wouldn't be as straightforward a repair as I expected. I could create new problems.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :eek:

vic

P.S. - For the most part my 2004 is now an around town van. Turned 322,000 miles just today. Rust will kill it before miles do.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)

Given they’re only seeing back pressure I imagine they’ll hold a while yet.
And I don’t blame you one bit for not disturbing them... pulling those rubber lines clear of the cooling coils could go smoothly, or could result in shattered dreams of finishing before lunch.

-dave

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed

I'll add that on my list of things to WD-40. Saved it to my stash of "Modes of failure" pictures. I wonder if grease would damage rubber hoses?

... I wonder if grease would damage rubber hoses?
That's a legitimate concern. Any rubber designed for petroleum based product systems is fine. I've been using heavy duty wheel bearing grease and Vaseline around vehicle rubber for decades. I've never noticed any degradation of any rubber.

:cheers: vic

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182

I would remove and replace that today .. It's wasted, likely to catastrophic fail: suddenly stranding your suffering ass.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)

Fwiw up here in the salty north, come fall, I crawl under our various winter use vehicles with a can of spray tar they sell cheap up here. Any liquids lines or other rusty looking bits get a shot of tar. Seems to work.

Top Bottom